Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Pirate's Life For Me

POTC Ride Down For Refurb #2 - Possibly Feb-May 2007?

Interesting article by Al Lutz today. I haven't seen anyone start a thread on the possible POTC ride closure in 2007, so I am starting one intended as a heads-up for out-of-towners considering a trip in early 2007.

See www.miceage.com/allutz/al091206a.htm

While Pirates of the Caribbean was only one stop on the tour, it was one of the best examples of the differences between Anaheim and Orlando. Lucky for the Floridians they will have a second chance at getting a Pirates rehab right when both attractions close again in 2007 to get ready for the third installment in the wildly successful movie franchise. The third movie premiere has already been slotted for Disneyland around the middle of May, and this time the refurbishment will add Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom animatronic figures (despite what some in Imagineering are saying otherwise).

The Disneyland project managers and Imagineers have been trying to figure out the schedule, and it looks now like the Disneyland attraction should be closed for three and a half months from roughly early February to around May 19th. The Floridians had been thinking of only a six or seven week rehab from just after Easter until the third installment of the movie opens May 25th. But the recent visit to Disneyland has them rethinking those plans, and they may try to go for the more ambitious Disneyland-style full rehab of their 34 year old attraction.

• The one, the only...

Re: POTC Ride Down For Refurb #2 - Possibly Feb-May 2007?

I wish that Disneyland Exec would THINK before they leap. I believe that the overall improvements, better sound, Davy Jones, and functional AA's are what is key to the POTC experience. I think that Johnny Depp is a side show. It is nice, but I have not heard anyone say that was the ONLY reason they wanted to ride POTC. So I don't believe that just adding more characters from the movie is going to draw more guests to POTC or Disneyland in general. I think right now POTC is in great shape. I wish that the money earmarked for next year was spread around to improve some other attractions like Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise and so on. How about replacing POOH! That is a ride that needs work!

I think it was fantastic that POTC got all the improvements this last year, but I DON'T believe that they need to do it again next year!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Guilty!

I don't think it'll be closed for more than a month. Splash Mountain is closing for 5 months early next year and I doubt they want both closed together for multiple months at a time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Where would they put Will and Elizabeth? I can only see Elizabeth fitting into the Chase or Auction scene somewhat, but where would Will go?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I think they should actually utilize scenes from the movie and actually put Jack in the jail cell next to the prisoners trying to get the dog. I also doubt that they will have Splash Mountain and PotC closed at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I think they should actually utilize scenes from the movie and actually put Jack in the jail cell next to the prisoners trying to get the dog. I also doubt that they will have Splash Mountain and PotC closed at the same time.
    Why not? There was an autumn a few years ago when Splash, Pirates and Mansion were all closed all at the same time. And there have been many times in addition to that when two of those three rides had been closed at the same time.

When they were building Winnie The Pooh all of Critter Country and the Haunted Mansion was closed and walled off. And they've had Tomorrowland and Fantasyland entirely shut down for months at a time for full rehabs in the 1960's, 1980's and 1990's. It's entirely possible that two nearby E TIckets would be closed at the same time. It's been done many, many times before over the years.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

This isn't a complete surprise:

Will & Elizabeth to join POTC attraction?! 6/25/06

More fun on the way: Disney chairman Dick Cook revealed that a film titled Jungle Cruise, after another popular Disneyland attraction, is in development. And animatronic figures of Knightley's and Bloom's characters are expected to join the newly installed Depp character in Disneyland's Pirates ride next year.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29461

This is probably planned to be inconjuction with the Memorial Day '07 third tenatively-titled film, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"...

your thoughts?
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...p%3B+elizabeth
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm not really here

In addition there are a few things from this last rehab/update that didn't turn out quite as planned and will be retooled. i.e. the Davey Jones waterfall effect (supposed to have bubbles in water below it to look like water is really falling down) and additional pumps will likely be added permanently to the top of the first drop to compensate for the deeper channel.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    In addition there are a few things from this last rehab/update that didn't turn out quite as planned and will be retooled. i.e. the Davey Jones waterfall effect (supposed to have bubbles in water below it to look like water is really falling down) and additional pumps will likely be added permanently to the top of the first drop to compensate for the deeper channel.

Not enough water flowing down the flume?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Not enough water flowing down the flume?
    Yeah, they made it deeper to allow more water over to create larger splashes. This had the added side effect of slowing down the water as it approaches and goes over. That lead to lots of boats backed up opening week into the bayou. Several boats didn't have enough to get over the top and the brakes engaged. They took to stationing a CM there to manually start cycling the release to speed things up. Over nights Imagineering had people down there putting in temporary pumps to help circulate more water. I'm guessing this will be come a permanent thing now.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVER!!!!!!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Banned User

Why is it closing?

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    This isn't a complete surprise:

Will & Elizabeth to join POTC attraction?! 6/25/06

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...p%3B+elizabeth
    I noticed when Al reported this possibility back in June, so I was not suprised that there will likely be another closure. What did surprise me, however, was that they were thinking about taking POTC down for 3+ months. I figured they might do it for a few weeks at the end of April and early May. I mean, how much work is needed to just add Will Turner and Eliz Swann AA figures? If this was all they were planning, it is much less than what they did in Spring 2006. However, Al hints they will be doing more than just WT and ES. And to have POTC down for two Spring Breaks in a row will be disappointing to those who go there regurlarly during that time of year. It is easier for the AP regulars to go ho-hum about things like this. For the occasional visitor it is of course a bigger deal.

This is my chance to once again say why I prefer summer trips to DLR when coming from out-of-state. DLR rarely does this kind of thing during the summer. Apologies for going off-topic in my own thread , but I know when I plan a summer trip for 3-4 days we have the highest chance of experiencing most everything DLR has to offer. Yes it is hotter, and even then the heat is tolerable on a vast majority of the days. We get a nearby hotel and take a break mid-day when DLR is most crowded and the heat is the worst. We hit the parks hard first thing in the morning and later in the evening, use our FastPasses, and get 10-12 good hours inside the parks while avoiding most of the lines. If we had a trip planned for Spring Break next year, I would be extremely bummed if this rumor materialized. But we don't. I expect we will be there sometime between mid-July and mid-August.

• Popular Princess

as much as i like orlando bloom, i'm totally against having him and keira knightley in the ride. how do they fit in to the story of the ride? the setting is not the same as the setting in the movie. what would they be doing there? also, i thought the story the ride tells was supposed to take place before the story of the movie. again, why would they be there? i just don't think putting them in is a good idea. however, i do believe that if they can improve some of their improvements and get them working correctly, it would be okay to close the ride for awhile. (rant over!)
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Yeah, they made it deeper to allow more water over to create larger splashes. This had the added side effect of slowing down the water as it approaches and goes over. That lead to lots of boats backed up opening week into the bayou. Several boats didn't have enough to get over the top and the brakes engaged. They took to stationing a CM there to manually start cycling the release to speed things up. Over nights Imagineering had people down there putting in temporary pumps to help circulate more water. I'm guessing this will be come a permanent thing now.
    It happened to my brother. He actually said, though, that it happened at both drops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast