Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Minimum wage goes up to $8 in 2008. How can this affect Disneyland CMs?

Gov. Schwarzenegger just signed a bill that will raise minimum wage in California to $7.50 effective January 2007 and will rise another $0.50 to $8.00 per hour in 2008. (Source, Source)

So what does this mean for Disneyland CMs? Before the announcement of this minimum wage increase, were any of us really expecting Disney to raise their wages higher than the typical $8.20 for in-park employees? What does this minimum wage increase mean for Cast Members two years from now? Will Disneyland pay wages increase accordingly taking jobs currently paying $8.20/hr up to somewhere around $9.50 or $10/hr? Or will Cast Members have to continue living with $8.20/hr wages, and thus basically living off minimum wage?

What do you think?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Minimum wage goes up to $8 in 2008. How can this affect Disneyland CMs?

Even though the min wage is still below the $8.20 level, you can count on price increases at the gate which will no doubt be "blamed" on the required wage increase.

Best of luck to all the GREAT CM's out there!

• Fight On for ol' SC!

it means DL is now a minimum wage facility.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Gov. Schwarzenegger just signed a bill that will raise minimum wage in California to $7.50 effective January 2007 and will rise another $0.50 to $8.00 per hour in 2008. (Source, Source)

So what does this mean for Disneyland CMs? Before the announcement of this minimum wage increase, were any of us really expecting Disney to raise their wages higher than the typical $8.20 for in-park employees? What does this minimum wage increase mean for Cast Members two years from now? Will Disneyland pay wages increase accordingly taking jobs currently paying $8.20/hr up to somewhere around $9.50 or $10/hr? Or will Cast Members have to continue living with $8.20/hr wages, and thus basically living off minimum wage?

What do you think?
    I think we discussed this already in another thread - although I am not opposed to talking about it again.

I think that this is part of the problem - an increase in minimum wage makes many want to increase the wages that were above the previous minimum wage to a wage that higher by about the proportion as before. Increasing minimum wage causes increases in wages across the board - when there is not a corresponding increase in responsibility or education. This contributes to inflation - thus making the increase in minimal wage meaningless.

I don't think the issue should be; can someone live off of minimum wage? I think the issue needs to be; what is that job actually worth?

I'm not sure a CM wage is worth $10 an hour - what are the qualifications? What are the responsibilities? What do other jobs of similar qualifications and responsibility pay?

What I think is more important is that there be support for CMs (or anyone in an entry level/minimum wage job) to better themselves through education, job skill aquistion, etc. I think we are missing the big picture when we seek to continually increase the salary of entry level jobs. We need to increase the qualifications of the workers so they can obtain and keep a higher level (and higher paying) job. Entry level jobs are just that - for those entering the job market - not for a career.
    Minnietoo

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Even though the min wage is still below the $8.20 level, you can count on price increases at the gate which will no doubt be "blamed" on the required wage increase.

Best of luck to all the GREAT CM's out there!
    exactly, everythig will increase so it really doesn't matter if it gets reaised or not. When I was a server they raised minium wage and shortly after the menu saw pretty hefty price hikes to compensate for it.

back in the day...way back in the day...when min wage was raised from $3.25 to $4.25 my employer did adjust our wages accordinly. Thatwas way cool, but I'm not sure id employers still do that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post
    What I think is more important is that there be support for CMs (or anyone in an entry level/minimum wage job) to better themselves through education, job skill aquistion, etc. I think we are missing the big picture when we seek to continually increase the salary of entry level jobs. We need to increase the qualifications of the workers so they can obtain and keep a higher level (and higher paying) job. Entry level jobs are just that - for those entering the job market - not for a career.

What a crazy idea! Actually promoting higher education and showing that higher education equals higher pay!

Stop asking for handouts and better yourselves!

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post

What a crazy idea! Actually promoting higher education and showing that higher education equals higher pay!

Stop asking for handouts and better yourselves!
    Are you being sarcasitc? What other words should I have used? I think you got my point though - but apparently don't agree - your response is confusing. Maybe I should have said "improve their marketability or enhance their job skills.
    Minnietoo

• Minion

Are you being sarcasitc? What other words should I have used? I think you got my point though - but apparently don't agree - your response is confusing.
    Yeah, that was sarcasm. Except for the last part! People really should take the initiative to get more education instead on whining about how they can't afford to live in the OC working their entry level low skill positions.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Yeah, that was sarcasm.
    So what do you think is wrong with my idealistic viewpoint that higher education can result in a better job?
    Minnietoo

• Minion

So what do you think is wrong with my idealistic viewpoint that higher education can result in a better job?
    I was agreeing with you.

to me, i don't think that this shows dlr being a "minimum wage' company. because that's just not how theme parks work. especially good ones.

i mean, look at what al was talking about today. this is something HUGE that the hr dept is going to have to look at very carefully.

i'm just guessing that yes, disney will raise their base rate because of the fact that cost of living is now going to increase. that's just the way the yo-yo balances i guess.

it will be an interesting story to follow however...

ps - i also agree with higher education. i'm ALMOST done with school myself!!!
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Sun Wheel survivor!

I was agreeing with you.
    I guess I missed that thanks
    Minnietoo

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Yeah, that was sarcasm. Except for the last part! People really should take the initiative to get more education instead on whining about how they can't afford to live in the OC working their entry level low skill positions.

Ah I see my problem here - I missed the last part - did you edit after I viewed?

I also think that entry level employers should (here's my values coming in) support employees get that education in terms of flexible schedules etc.
    Minnietoo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I have heard stories that the unions don't do much except collect CM's dues, but my union requires us to be a certain percentage OVER minimum wage. Think that will happen with CM's? Along with inflation increasing, unemployment increases, which may have jobs cut there, that or they increase prices which seems more likely of what they would do. But I also agree on higher education.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

So what does this mean for Disneyland CMs?
    Depends on their union contract.. if they built adjustments for minimum wage in.. or if they will have to wait for the next renewal. Most build wage increases into the years of the plan.

Looking for references now.. see that food service folks renewed in 2004 for 3years... but can't find a reference to which ones represents the retail/operations/attractions people.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast