Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to the Timon lot???

They need to expand the parking structure to include more levels over pinocchio. but until then there is no way they can take out timon to expand.

What's also good about destroying the Timon lot is that they can also get rid of the tram area for it. It's not a huge amount of room, but enough for them to add another darkride and restraunt to the Hollywood section.

• Dumptruck of Information

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    What's also good about destroying the Timon lot is that they can also get rid of the tram area for it. It's not a huge amount of room, but enough for them to add another darkride and restraunt to the Hollywood section.
    There were 3 eating places (not counting the smoothies and the fruit "cart")in the Hollywood area when the park opened. Only 1 remains now. One became an attraction, the other turned into event space. Would a new eating place in Hollywood work? Or was it just attendance issues that had them close the restaurants?

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Okay, looking at Darkbeers new photo's I see they are taking out a couple of the tram lanes from the Timon lot to fit the building, etc.

Here is the thread with the pics: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37625

My question is ... is this safe??? With security concerns, car accidents, etc, is it safe to have a ride building this close to cars, trams, etc.

IMO it's time to get rid of this lot for good, get rid of the tram road and do something with the lot.
    Can you post the exact picture you are talking about. Everytime I try to look at these I get a headache from seeing almost the same picture posted 5 times.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPhoebus View Post
    There were 3 eating places (not counting the smoothies and the fruit "cart")in the Hollywood area when the park opened. Only 1 remains now. One became an attraction, the other turned into event space. Would a new eating place in Hollywood work? Or was it just attendance issues that had them close the restaurants?
    Which one became an attraction?

I'm just saying space-wise there might not be enough for 2 rides, but a ride and nice place to eat might fit well. Or maybe a small-sized E-ticket.

IMO, Hollywood and Dine would most likely have to be torn out to make a walkway back to these added attractions.

• Circle of Ancients

^ ABC Bistro became Playhouse Disney. You also had Hollywood and Dine (Special Events), Schmoozies (still open????) and Award Weiners.

Also, I can't see them using the tram area for a dark ride because they still need the hotel drop-off area.

I still say the best thing they could have done was take the Millionairre building, Limo building and Hollywood and Dine and make Rock N' Roller Coaster. Of course they would have to expand HnD ... but it could have worked. Now, the only thing you can do is put a dark ride in each of the buildings or bring back HnD ... which I'd be okay with.

TacAlert ... I'm at work at the moment and can't access Photobucket. I will find the picture tomorrow morning and post it.

actually Professor, looking at a satellite map of DCA on google, I was able to put in 4 fairly large dark rides into this space while fooling around one day.

Using the Monsters Inc building as a reference of how much space an "average sized" dark ride might take up, I expanded Millionaire building into the tram lot a bit and had it about 3-4 times as large as Monsters. I put Great Muppets Movie Ride in here.

I expanded Hollywood and Dine into the tram area also, having a building about 2 1/2 times as large as monsters, putting in a dark ride of Walt Disney's life story (i had rethemed all of HPB to be called "Walt Disney Studios Backlot").

Behind Monsters I had a Mary Poppins dark ride (in honor of Walt's crowning achievement in filmmaking), about 1 1/2-2 times the size of monsters if i recall correctly.

right across from this ride (ie directly north of HnD) i put in Crush's Turtle Twister.

o ya, and since the tram route was deemed unnecessary, I also was able to add a building right behind Hyperion and HnD, and expanding south into Timon to have a sizeable building which i think would be able to fit RnRC, maybe not a perfect clone of it, but a variation of the track to fit into the building's constraints

i know it doesnt sound like all that would fit into such a small area, but it does, i promise, and if i could ever learn how to post an image that ive edited like that onto the boards here, I would show you to kinda clarify my ideas, cuz i know it sounds a little shady just reading it
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

^^^ cool beans!

I also thought they might be able to utilize the entire area (tram parking) for one giant fake backlot ride. The problem with tram rides at studios such as USH is that the lot needs to remain usuable for filming. If you create a fake backlot, imagine how much fun you could have.

My idea would have you journey through different genres of films, having movie magic get out of hand, and end up being a fast paced escape from the backlot. A journey through the animation dept would be cool to show Mickey making his directoral debut. Using technology similiar to turtle talk, Mickey would hop down from his director's chair and chat with people on the tram. As you journeyed through the rest of the animation dept you would see all kinds of Disney characters milling around between takes or at the water cooler.

Maybe the tram could even take a wrong turn into the section where the villians are kept.

And I would keep one showroom open for Disney to create a small experience based on whatever movie they are plugging. For the upcoming Narnia sequel they could create a small scene from Narnia complete with AAs and film props.

• Circle of Ancients

Here is what I mean (Darkbeer, hope you don't mind me using your picture)

According to Darkbeer they are removing 2 lanes to make room for the new ride, meaning the building will be out closer to the tram road/parking lot road ... and also Katella.

Now, from this picture you can also see that other attractions in Paradise Pier are close to the tram road/parking lot road and also Disneyland Drive. (again, thanks in advance Darkbeer)

This is why I feel the bag checks are a joke. What is to prevent someone, if they REALLY want to do some bad stuff from just throwing it over the fence or driving a car through the fence, hitting Screamin, Maliboomer, etc.

This is why I feel the Timon lot needs to be closed, the fence reinforced (made into a wall perhaps) so that no cars are driving 10 feet from attractions. That's just another example of poor planning for DCA IMO.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I do believe Mickey and Friends as it stands today is "Mickey and Friends: Phase I." I heard from somewhere (I think here) that Pinnoccio lot is the site for another section of Mickey and Friends lot.
    That would work, but there's one big problem with it: Where do you park the trucks and buses and motorhomes and people towing trailers? They could leave the first-floor ceiling high like it is now, but that's still a lot of columns to dodge. I'd save that option for last.

I'd go the other way first, put another section of structure north into the Ball Cast Member Lot, and leave the ceiling high on the first floor. Then when they finally need to build a parking structure in Pinocchio they will have a place to put the oversized vehicles.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

North, eh? I've never looked at that on an areil photo, but the problem with that is that the lot would be even further from the tram loading area. I believe the reason the tram lot was designed there and not in the middle of M&F is because of the expansion plan.
    Now, the Pinoccio lot is HUGE and that's a LOT of space for oversized vehicles. I don't believe I've ever seen the entire thing full of busses, vans, and trailers. But it shouldnt' be too hard for them to plan the expansion to have a higher ceiling than even Chip & Dale.
    But from what I've heard, Pinoccio is the place for expansion. It's about the size of one segment of the structure, and I believe the thing was designed to have another lane leading into it from a place that's not the main structure. If you'll notice, the landscaping on the end of the structure is the same as the landscaping in the center.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    North, eh? I've never looked at that on an areil photo, but the problem with that is that the lot would be even further from the tram loading area. I believe the reason the tram lot was designed there and not in the middle of M&F is because of the expansion plan.
    Ahh, but that's the rub - remember I said that's a ground level Cast Member Parking area now? Well, you can use that entire new way-off northern wing primarily for Cast Member parking, and stack them 5 stories deep on the same chunk of land. This would free up a lot of space in the ground-level Katella Cast Member Lot (Katella and Haster, off to the southeast), and allow a lot more CM's to skip the shuttles.

For the few predictable insanely-busy days a year, July 4th and New Years Eve to name the two best examples where they run out of parking, they can make special arrangements to park the Cast Members elsewhere (like at the Anaheim Convention Center) and shuttle them in, and have the entire expanded M&F available for Guests.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantsasmic View Post
    Now, the Pinoccio lot is HUGE and that's a LOT of space for oversized vehicles. I don't believe I've ever seen the entire thing full of busses, vans, and trailers. But it shouldnt' be too hard for them to plan the expansion to have a higher ceiling than even Chip & Dale.

But from what I've heard, Pinoccio is the place for expansion. It's about the size of one segment of the structure, and I believe the thing was designed to have another lane leading into it from a place that's not the main structure. If you'll notice, the landscaping on the end of the structure is the same as the landscaping in the center.
    When they build out the rest of California Adventure and eliminate the last vestiges of the Timon lot, then they can expand the M&F Structure out to the south over the Pinnochio lot. If they do the northern expansion first they will have the added spaces in the (former BCML) M&F northern wing to park all the construction personnel for it - they can take over part of the ground floor (13'-8" clearance) for all their heavy equipment, and re-stripe the 'Chip & Dale' first floor for the Oversized Vehicle parking.

It's "not painting yourself into a corner." Analyze your plan to make sure it makes sense both now and in the future.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• DCA lover

Because what DCA really needs is more restaurants...

Bruce, you've pointed something I completely overlooked.
    Also, The M&F expansion/tram complex is large enough to carry a phenomenal amount of people into the park (4 load areas on each side of the route) and would not need further expansion. I do believe that's why it's as big as it is.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Parking is probably one of the BIGGEST problems for the Disneyland Resort...

If they expand, they need MORE spaces, and most of the locations for expansion reduce parking spaces.

The current rumor has Bubba Gump's moving into Downtown Disney between Tortilla Ho's and House of Blues.... This won't take away spaces, but still will require a few more spaces to take care of their guests.

But the next rumored Downtown Disney expansion has the parking area south of the AMC theaters being built up where the current Grand Californian Self Parking is now. This is a priority to Disney execs since they want the Paradise Pier hotel to be "attached" to the rest of the resort, and adding a path from the PPH thru the new section, which path is supposed to end between the AMC Theater and the LEGO store will make the walk more of an "experience".

But where to move the GCH cars? The most likely option, tear down the current Paradise Pier Parking Structure (built years ago, and has some major problems) and replace it with a larger structure that can handle the Paradise Pier guests, the Grand California Guests, plus the Downtown Disney guests, including the additional guests created by the new stores/restaurants....

And then, you will have to use the rest of Simba, including a large portion of spaces currently used by CM's and DtD employees to park. If you move the employees/CM's, Disney will have to have to add more shuttles to transport these folks from a farther lot to their jobs.

Right now, Trams are a major issue for Disney due to California laws. The current Trams can go from the Mickey and Friends structure and the Timon lots since the tram roadways are on private property. Trams cannot go to Simba, Pummba or Buzz Lightyear (old strawberry field) since they would have to use public roadways.

They tried some buses for Pummba, but the time it took to load a traditional bus took a long time, and was not practical. So if you park at Pummba, you are expected to walk to the park.

Same with Simba, enjoy your walk thru the Disneyland Hotel and DtD.

If Buzz Lightyear is open (just a few very peak days a year), they will contract out with Coach USA/Gray Line (the folks that run the ART service) to take folks between the Strawberry Field and the Lion King tram area.

One main option is to build another large parking structure where Simba is, and then build a tunnel under Disneyland Drive to allow a private roadway and trams to service the new structure. This will cost a LOT of money, but will open most of the Timon lot for DCA expansion, but prevent Hotel and a possible water park addition.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12