• now on the mainland

Is anyone else still dissappointed?

Since Matt Ouimet came in, Disneyland has undergone drastic improvement. Its nice to see a white spacemountain, new color to TL, a good firework show, etc.

But I still don't feel satisfied with Disneyland. In a lot of ways I think DL is still heading in the wrong direction. With BLAB and Nemo in TL, and now adding the Star Wars show, it seems like DL has lost its purprose. Please understand I'm happy that there are new attractions. I also am a big Star Wars fan, but these things have no place in TL. In addition we've lost a lot entertainment. I can't remember his name, but the mime is gone, some of the bands in NOS are gone, and as mentioned in another thread the Kettle band is gone. I'm not trying to sound harsh or pessimestic. I just think they've lost sight about what Disneyland is supposed to be about.

I was born in '79, and made my first trip to Disneyland in '83. Thus, I wasn't around in the 50's and 60's to see Disneyland back then. But I look at old footage of Disneyland from those two decades and I see a very different type of park. One that, IMO, looks a lot more fun and exciting.

I see people like Bob Iger, John Lassater and Matt Ouimet when we had him, and I initially get excited. But then I look at what Disneyland was and I think they're still missing the mark. Maybe I'm like an old Russian who misses the days of the Tsar, and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, is hoping for another Tsar to rule.

What do you think?

• Minion

Re: Is anyone else still dissappointed?

ORGOCH: Well, heck! Disappointed ain't even the word fer it!! Ever since ol' Matt flew the coop, my trampy sister--Orddu--ain't been the same. 'Course if'n ya knew her as well as I does, ya'd say that was a blessin'. Fact a the matter IS, she had such a crush on that goomer it weren't funny! Next ta Tarzan, ol' Matt was the one dude she wanted most ta see in a loin cloth. Been gittin' therapy on a couch with some quack of a shrink ever since. Cain't see how it's doin' her any good, though. She still goes 'round actin' like an old hag in heat!!

ORWEN: (sigh) Well, I miss Matt Ouimet, too. He was the best thing to hit Disneyland since Uncle Walt, himself. I just wish I could whip up some kind of spell that would bring him back...

• Animatronic

Of course one should be disappointed. Dinseyland had focus, and the whole was even better than the sum of the parts. For the last 10+ years we've gotten budget parts that detract from the whole. Not only is BLAB a cheap, flat, and basically dull dark ride (although it's way better than Pooh), BLAB really doesn't enhance the sense of being in the future. BLAB was and is nothing more than a quick fix to one of the many earlier problems caused by the decade of neglect and destruction. While the neglect seems better now, and that's worth being happy about, the destruction of theme is still going strong.

• FastPass n00b

I totally agree with the OP. I went to Disneyland a couple months ago expecting the world and was sorely disappointed, I mean to the point where I have lost a lot of interest. My experience is similar, born in 1979, and although my first trip was in 1979, it isn't really until around 1985 that I can remember Disneyland.

What really shocked me was the utter lack of atmosphere. TONS of ODV carts, most of which were generic pin carts and DVC, and very little music or bands. It was like the experience was completely numb. I knew I was at Disneyland, and I recognized all my favorite stuff, but the entire experience left me feeling empty or numb or something.

I honestly liked DCA better because I had no emotional attachment to it to make me disappointed. But as Disneyland works its way slowly into the homogenization of Jay's big vision, it will lose more and more of its once-reknowned charm. It will become "Disney Park #01A" with more Pixar and more ODV, while at the same time stripping out the unique streetmosphere and unique feel Disneyland once had.

Honestly, I kind of preferred Pressler because with him he was incompetent but he also just didn't care. With Rasulo, he thinks he knows best how to run a series of theme parks whereas at the same time he is completely ignorant of how things are done, to me that is far scarier than the laissez-faire attitude that Pressler had. I'd personally rather have something gone and cherished in my memory than have that memory faded and tarnished by endless Pixar rides, generic merchandise, and ODV carts every 15 feet.

And by the way, I have to ask Matt Ouimet's forgiveness because it was Jay Rasulo who was responsible for the ODV and Pixar overload and the other stuff that I constantly hounded him on in here. I know it doesn't mean anything one way or the other, but I do feel kind of bad now for criticizing his overuse of Pixar when it was really Rasulo who was doing it. If anything, Matt was trying to keep Disneyland unique I bet.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 09-13-2006 at 10:13 PM.

• FastPass n00b

The one MAJOR hope we all can have for Disneyland is John Lasseter. He's got a huge and personal passion for Disneyland and, more importantly, he has Bob Iger's ear. I think we can rest assured that any new ride that goes into Disneyland from now on will be the most revolutionary and imaginative ride around. Even if the budget doesn't allow for it, Lasseter can always go directly to Iger to loosen up the purse strings.

Of course, it still remains to be seen if Lasseter is going to flood the park with his own work or allow imagination to once again reign supreme at Disneyland. Al's report kind of worried me with that new Pixar themed Paradise Pier, but so far nothing has been built with a Pixar theme since he arrived so I think we're safe until he actually makes a move towards that direction.

But John Lasseter is indeed a close ally for us and he is probably our only, but biggest, hope for making sure Disneyland stays the crown jewel in the Disney parks' crown. I'd like to know where our other ally, Roy Disney is during all this. Surely he's got to be aware of Disneyland's problems, but I think he's a little too busy counting his hush money from Iger from a couple years ago, lol.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    The one MAJOR hope we all can have for Disneyland is John Lasseter. He's got a huge and personal passion for Disneyland and, more importantly, he has Bob Iger's ear. I think we can rest assured that any new ride that goes into Disneyland from now on will be the most revolutionary and imaginative ride around. Even if the budget doesn't allow for it, Lasseter can always go directly to Iger to loosen up the purse strings.

Of course, it still remains to be seen if Lasseter is going to flood the park with his own work or allow imagination to once again reign supreme at Disneyland. Al's report kind of worried me with that new Pixar themed Paradise Pier, but so far nothing has been built with a Pixar theme since he arrived so I think we're safe until he actually makes a move towards that direction.
    I certainly share in your hope that Mr. Lasseter can be the man to lead the park back to its previous greatness.
    It's nice to know that it's not only an "old fogey" like me, who was working at the park in the year the OP was born, that can see the changes - some subtle, some not so subtle, mostly "not" for the better.

I consider 1979 to be kind of a watershed year for DL, in a sense...the completion of BTMRR, following up the renovation of the Matterhorn and the building of SM...at the beginning of another golden era in the park's history.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Animatronic

Somehow, in Walt's day, every change seemed entirely positive, and any negative change would be fixed right away. This is quite hard, because when you add something to such a small park, you're likely to lose some charm or not have the follow on budget to fix all the problems it might cause.

At the time BTMRR was built, it was mostly positive, but it did leave a big dead section of the park. It was something of a small ride, replacing three interwoven and intersting experiences (Mine Train, Mules, and Stage Coach). The only reason why I didn't look at it as all negative at the time was that it opened up the promise of other great rides in the now dead section of the park. It's nearly 30 years later and that section of the park has fallen into neglect, and the once great cascade peak is no more. So BTMRR is still something of a soar spot with me. Still, such a minor complaint as it's nothing like what the Pressler years have done to the park.

I would just like to see the park back to Walt quality. Every square inch studied, maintained, and filled with rich theme and charm. A park that isn't like going to a studio, or an ODV cart carnival, but a park that's like walking into a live action escapist period movie with perfect sight lines and magical transitions.

• Banned User

Bring Frank Wells back!

• Boat shoes all day long

Nope, you are the only one who is not impressed...
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    Since Matt Ouimet came in, Disneyland has undergone drastic improvement. Its nice to see a white spacemountain, new color to TL, a good firework show, etc.

But I still don't feel satisfied with Disneyland. In a lot of ways I think DL is still heading in the wrong direction. With BLAB and Nemo in TL, and now adding the Star Wars show, it seems like DL has lost its purprose. Please understand I'm happy that there are new attractions. I also am a big Star Wars fan, but these things have no place in TL. In addition we've lost a lot entertainment. I can't remember his name, but the mime is gone, some of the bands in NOS are gone, and as mentioned in another thread the Kettle band is gone. I'm not trying to sound harsh or pessimestic. I just think they've lost sight about what Disneyland is supposed to be about.

I was born in '79, and made my first trip to Disneyland in '83. Thus, I wasn't around in the 50's and 60's to see Disneyland back then. But I look at old footage of Disneyland from those two decades and I see a very different type of park. One that, IMO, looks a lot more fun and exciting.

I see people like Bob Iger, John Lassater and Matt Ouimet when we had him, and I initially get excited. But then I look at what Disneyland was and I think they're still missing the mark. Maybe I'm like an old Russian who misses the days of the Tsar, and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, is hoping for another Tsar to rule.

What do you think?
    Nah i'm not disapointed all to much. Now that I moved out of Cali, it is rare for me to see Disneyland. I got the chance to visit it months ago and had a great time. Buzz Lightyear was a fun ride to experience. Yes it was generic, the theme was bland, and did not fit the theme of the future, but it's definatly something unique and that I haven't done before.

People should be happy that the subs are even coming back! Its either nemo subs or a Pooh playground. I vote for the subs. I agree that Nemo does not fit into Tomorrowland, but if that is what brings the subs back cool . I also agree with you on the Star Wars thing. Disney should focus on making a new Star Tours show rather than a Star Wars show.

I also agree that DL has lost much of its live entertainment stuff. I was watching "Disneyland After Dark" and find it hard to believe that you were able to Dance at Disneyland!

I wish that I could have ridden "Adventure Thru Inner Space Though."

However I am disappointed with the fact that the educational aspect of Disneyland is gone. The original ideas of Disneyland now-a-days consist of Pixar characters rather than rides made from scratch like HM & POTC.

• Former Cast Member

One thing I really miss are the Big Bands over at Carnation Gardens. Although it has been some time when they were taken away, it was sure great seeing the likes of Glen Miller's, Tommy Dorsey's, Ray Mckinley's, Ray Anthony's bands performing there. It was awesome to see all those folks from that era crowd the floor and doing their thing from their time. I sure miss that. Sure they have ensembles perform, but mainly it is the younger kids (who are good mind you), but tend to get too wild out there with their dancing and almost hit other couples who are dancing. I have only seen a very very few of the regulars that used to go there. Wish they would bring those bands back.

• Rock Star Minion

Well, Former Cast member Matt is gone. Things can only go downhill from there. Since Rasulo's in charge, it's not going to be pretty. Until he leaves.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• now on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Nah i'm not disapointed all to much. Now that I moved out of Cali, it is rare for me to see Disneyland. I got the chance to visit it months ago and had a great time. Buzz Lightyear was a fun ride to experience. Yes it was generic, the theme was bland, and did not fit the theme of the future, but it's definatly something unique and that I haven't done before.

People should be happy that the subs are even coming back! Its either nemo subs or a Pooh playground. I vote for the subs. I agree that Nemo does not fit into Tomorrowland, but if that is what brings the subs back cool . I also agree with you on the Star Wars thing. Disney should focus on making a new Star Tours show rather than a Star Wars show.

I also agree that DL has lost much of its live entertainment stuff. I was watching "Disneyland After Dark" and find it hard to believe that you were able to Dance at Disneyland!

I wish that I could have ridden "Adventure Thru Inner Space Though."

However I am disappointed with the fact that the educational aspect of Disneyland is gone. The original ideas of Disneyland now-a-days consist of Pixar characters rather than rides made from scratch like HM & POTC.
    As I said in my first post, I'm glad there are new attractions. I'm glad the Subs are coming back even if it is Nemo, I'm glad that Club Buzz is being replaced by the Jedi Training, and I'm glad that BLAB has breathed in some new life in TL. These are all good things. I will take some improvement over no improvement. But I'm not ready to declare that Disneyland has returned to its former glory.

I desire to go to Frontierland and actually feel that I'm expierencing the old west. I long to go to Tomorrowland and feel that I'm in the future. I don't want to relive Toy Story or Nemo. I want a new expierence where I can use my imagination a little bit. The issue is theming. Synergy, to me, is killing Disneyland. It is just teaching to only look within the company. When that happens things get old, and the park stagnates.

I've said this before in other posts, but I'll say it again. The difference is that in the 50's and 60's (and one can probably include the 70's and the 80's) Disneyland was a reflection of America; where we were and where we were going. Disneyland today is reflection of its parent company. To me, this is a tragedy.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Is anyone else still dissappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post

What do you think?
    I fully agree with you. What I also like is that you bring the ideas you have forth with out attacking people. You bring forth your concern and I think you make excellent observations. I agree with your thoughts of Tomorrowland wholeheartedly..and the entertainment...and well, your whole darn idea and presentation was just really good.