Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking What 3D/4D Enchanced Theatre Show should be created for Disneyland?

I'm curious what hardcore fans of Disneyland... and DCA... would come up with as the next 3D/4D Enhanced Theatre Show.

Lately I'm obsessed with a little show over at [whisper]WDW[/whisper] that has Donald moving throughout some animated classics of Walt Disney movies trying to get a magical hat. That is among the highlights of my trips to [whisper]WDW[/whisper].

In my Summer 2006 trip to the Disneyland Resort I discovered that DCA brought over that Pixar Bug's show that wasn't so "new" to me. Honey I Bored the Audience in Disneyland's Tomorrowland also wasn't so "new" to this [whisper]WDW[/whisper] fan. Muppets Retired 3D was the most fun in DCA but was also not so "new" to me when I visited Disneyland.

Where's Disneyland's very own 3D/4D show that is unique to Disneyland in California?

Since one does not exist... What should it be? What would the story be for the show? What movies should be edited into the show? What single movie should it be designed for? What should happen to you while you are seated?

MiceChatters... Your thoughts on this topic of interest?
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 09-13-2006 at 11:56 PM.

• Shubisha

Re: What 3D/4D Enchanced Theatre Show should be created for Disneyland?

Oooh. Grapes of Wrath! and then cut to lucy and the gang arriving in hollywood.

Frankly, I find the problem with all 3D/4D shows is that they never seem to stay "new" for long. I remember loving HISTA when I saw it at Epcot. And ITTBAB still gives me enjoyment. However, none of these attractions are "must see" attractions to me because it boils down to me watching a movie.

I'd much rather see darkrides or AA shows (like Country Bears) than a tricked out movie. 3D was huge in the 50's, I think the whole concept is a little stale. WDW can keep their movies, I'm all for getting new attractions that take their audience somewhere beyond a vibrating seat cushion.

• Main Street Hop "89"

I think they should get rid of the movies and put in puppet shows like Lengend of the Lion King, & Voyage of the little mermaid, lol. I personally don't care for disneyland/DCA copying on WDW's succes with It's Tough to be a Bug, & Muppetvision 3D, etc. But I really thought Mickey's Philharmagic was a bomb! (for me & company at least!) I wish they never took out the show that existed before it! Wah!!!

Personally, I don't like the 3D attractions. They give me a headache. I usually have to stop watching halfway through the show.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ClubDisCM View Post
    Personally, I don't like the 3D attractions. They give me a headache. I usually have to stop watching halfway through the show.
    Well, that annoying aspect of 3d shows is about to change soon. Here in the next month or so RealD will be out in theaters. New method of projecting and pre-processing 3d movies. Still have glasses, but they are polarized differently. Allows images to line up better. Incresed frame rate so images appear much smoother and natural instead of flickering. Can rotate head up to 45 degrees either way and not get any blur or loss of 3d effect. Hopefully Disney will be willing to update their theaters if they want to keep their 3d/4d shows. Personally, I love Muppets, but wouldn't miss hista if they want to pull it and use the room for something else. Fun, but wouldn't miss it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• n/a

I'd love to see a live Muppet show. Spend the money and hire the talent.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    ...Lately I'm obsessed with a little show over at [whisper]WDW[/whisper] that has Donald moving throughout some animated classics of Walt Disney movies trying to get a magical hat. That is among the highlights of my trips to [whisper]WDW[/whisper]...
    yea i LOVED that show too

they should bring that over to disneyland

• The one, the only...

Frankly, Disney has failed to advance the 3D movie concept. What makes those films boring is that they repeat exactly the same way each time. After all, how many times do you see the same movie? Once, maybe twice. If you really like a movie, you might see it three times. That is essenially the problem. Movies don't offer a lot of repeatability.

In the age of video games, Disney needs to take those movies to the next level with audience participation. Today you could add option voting controls to the seats to allow the audience to vote on different options in the story. With a different middle or end to the movie, it would make it a lot more interesting. That could make a visit to a 3D show a different experience each time. For Disneyland which gets more repeat visitors than WDW, it is essential to make those 3D movies fresh.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Personally, I love "Philharmagic" and think it's great. I now I think is the time they should move away from 3D film theater experiences and move the technology into the moving attraction. Something along the lines of Universal Florida's incredible "Spiderman" attraction (perhaps the only thing they've done that's out-Disney'd Disney).

I know...seems a shame that someone else came up with a great merge of theme park show technologies before Disney did. And seems even more of a shame to suggest that Disney copy someone else. But if they want to keep using 3D film...I think they should only use it when they need to do the impossible visually (like falling from a tall building)...and mix it up with traditional Audio Animatronic 3D figures, sets, and show elements.

I think that 3D films have become too commonplace in the real world these days (at IMAX theaters all over, for example)...to be that much of a novelty to interest future theme park audiences anymore.

But I know we'll see more of them because they are cheap. Especailly in the computer animation field where creating a 3D version of a animated film isn't that much more expensive than creating the 2D version. And we all know how much they like cheap these days.

But when you really think about it...most Disneyland attractions are 3D experiences. They just aren't 3D film experiences. So why try to create a virtual reality filmed experience, when it's something you can do for real, better.

So I don't necessarily think they should be out there looking hard for applications of 3D film anymore. I think they should design the best attractions they can imagine...and only then if 3D film is required to pull it off...use it.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: What 3D/4D Enchanced Theatre Show should be created for Disneyland?

I like these attractions a lot; just rotate a new film in before they get stale. The first 3D film in Epcot (Magic Journeys?) lasted 4 years, Capt. Eo lasted 8, and HISTA is at 12 and counting. There's a pattern here, and it's not a good one.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Shubisha

I don't really count HISTA as lasting even though it's still there :P

• Shaman of the Whills

3D/4D show to die for? Two words... Star Wars.

With real life stormtroopers running through the theater.

• I can't stand you.

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    I'd love to see a live Muppet show. Spend the money and hire the talent.

• Boat shoes all day long

I would really like to see a 3d show (although we all know how well these work) featuring The Incredibles. This could easily be created and would be a big hit for a period of time...and when it gets old, a new show from a newer movie could already be done and ready to be put into place.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast