My ideas below apply to the WDW POTC, but this thread was meant for Disneyland Pirates also
WARNING: some of my nitpicking will probably annoy you
I think I am in the minority, but I am not very fond of most of the "improvements" made to Pirates of the Caribbean.
Here's what I would have done for the WDW version, for movie additions, etc. (it takes less thinking than the DL version since it's a shorter ride):
1. Although the new black mast looks cool, it doesn't really make much sense to me sticking out of the ground next to a Spanish fortress. And I don't like the skeleton on top with the spyglass...I feel all the skeletons, etc. should stay INSIDE the attraction. To me, it's like putting a skeleton or something outside of the Haunted Mansion, sitting on the front lawn for instance. It feels tacky, like something they would do at Six Flags. I would have just kept the marquee for the attraction that was there already. If I had to have the mast though, I'd definitely lose that skeleton.
2. The movie music playing outside works for me.
3. Replace "Barker Bird" with Cotton's parrot. Have the guy that voiced him in the movie do the voice. Have similar dialogue to the previous bird, but a little less childish, if possible. Maybe he could mention Jack Sparrow a few times, because in my version of the updated attraction, none of the pirates in the ride would be doing that.
4. Keep the Spanish guitar music in the queue line inside.
5. I don't remember if there's some kind of recorded "hands-arms-feet-and-legs-in-the-boat" spiel at WDW, but this would be a good place to use someone from the movie. Probably the voice of Gibbs, Barbossa, or Jack.
5. No Davy Jones mist projection when you first embark. This will come later. Here in the caves, you hear the "Yo Ho" song like you originally did, followed of course by "dead men tell no tales...."
6. Beach and skeleton helmsman scenes untouched, except for maybe updating the storm effects if possible. I'd rather not have that new music there either (you know, the slow instrumental version of Yo Ho). To me it worked better with just the Dead Men Tell No Tales voice, the seagull squawking, and the sound of rushing water.
7. Keep the talking skull above the falls. Don't give him a Jack Sparrow bandana or anything. Have him say "No fear have ye of evil curses says you. Ahhh...properly warned ye be says I" in the original Paul Frees voice, instead of "thar be squalls ahead." This will leave some room for...
8. ...the Davy Jones projection, which would be in the cave after the boat goes down the waterfall. He appears and says "Now proceed at your own risk. These be the last friendly words you'll hear. You may not survive to pass this way again..." Unfortunately this would mean we wouldn't have the old pirate voice, but at least the dialogue would be intact, and with a cool new effect to go with it. AND NO "Dead men do tell tales." No they don't...
9. I'd rather not have the movie music in the battle scene, but if it has to go somewhere in the ride, this would have to be the place. Blackbeard--not Barbossa--on the Wicked Wench, with all his original dialogue, and the original dialogue of the fort defenders. Of course, the new cannon effects would be employed. I think it would be nice to have the fighting shadows like at DL. I don't care if they add the Spanish animatronics in the fort or not--it works fine with just their voices.
10. Original dunking scene untouched except for maybe better animatronics/sound. The same goes for the auction scene. The gunshots in both scenes could use an increase in volume. No Jack Sparrow animatronic here, unless he's just placed among the bidders, "wanting the redhead". Oh, yeah and no costume changes to the characters. The hookhanded pirate should still have his big hat, and various pirates shouldn't have new eyepatches slapped on them--there were already like 3 pirates that have eyepatches.
11. Original chase scene, with the pirates chasing the women, except of course for the excited rotund woman chasing the creeped-out pirate. No rakes, brooms, or plates of food. The girl, not Jack Sparrow, is in the barrel, and the pooped pirate is talking about her--not a treasure map and not a fine pork loin.
12. There's plenty of space for characters to be added to the chase scene. Inspired by Marc Davis concept art, we could have Barbossa and the monkey on his shoulder both drinking rum. He could have some dialogue maybe, I don't know what. Since WDW doesn't have a pirate balancing on the unstable barrels (which was one of the references made in the first POTC movie), he could be added to this scene, possibly with the pirates that drink the leaking rum. Since there's a lot of room here, Jack Sparrow could be thrown in somewhere I'm sure. Maybe even on the other side of the scene, before you get to Old Bill and the cats.
13. Original burning city with improved fire effects.
14. Jail scene same as it's always been.
15. Treasury--keep the tied up guys and all the original pirates, except the last one. He could be replaced with Jack Sparrow. It seems appropriate. You could just use the pirate that was previously there as the one that would sit on the barrels in the chase scene. Replace that annoying parrot that sings "a parrot's life for me" in that horrible childish voice with the Barker Bird that used to be outside, complete with his little outfit (pegleg, hat, eyepatch). The only parrot who should sing "parrot's life for me" is the Paul-Frees voiced one in the burning city scene. Have Barker Bird squawk random parroty things. Give Jack Sparrow some of his own dialogue, keep the drunken shooting pirates dialogue also.
There ya have it. I'd like to hear what others have to say, their ideas, etc.