Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

The Burning Cabin

Never Seen It! This would be a great time to bring out the pics!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

Re: The Burning Cabin

If you own "A Day At Disneyland" It shows the burning cabin and you hear the captain say. "It looks like he's having a house warming party"

Also, When was that cabin introduced?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

is "A Day at Disneyland" a DVD or something?

I'm not sure of the start date of the burning cabin, but on a 1957 record of Jiminy Cricket's "A Day At Disneyland", he describes the 'burning cabin' with an un "PC"..."those wicked indians must have done it." Then they had a drunk owner passed out over a log (minus indian arrow in his back). Now there is nothing and no 'burning' cabin.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Rawr...

I'm fairly certain that the cabin has been there since the beginning... Its still there, ocasionally burning I belive...
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Popular Princess

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511 View Post
    Its still there, ocasionally burning I belive...
    it does not burn any longer.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Banned User

Settlers who lived in log cabins never were killed by arrows in the Old West.

I'm wondering if the mentality behind doing away with the arrow-in-the-back dead settler outside the burning cabin isn't so much about lame corporate kowtowing to "being PC" and "not wanting to offend any Native Americans" as it is about not being able (or willing) to provide any kind of counterbalance to the historical reality of the Old West, such as showing unarmed Native men, women, and children being mowed down and shot in the back by soldiers and being deliberately trampled by horses and such (as happened during the Sand Creek Massacre or at Wounded Knee). It's kind of like how there's no Vietnam War-themed land in any amusement park anywhere.

Walt Disney did state on Opening Day in 1955 that Disneyland was "dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America..." One of those hard facts is that a LOT of killing took place in the creation of America, both by European settlers and by Native American peoples.

I'm fine with changing or removing racially and culturally inflammatory rhetoric like "wicked Indians," but we cannot mend political and intercultural fences by whitewashing history and pretending that bad things didn't happen when the historical record tells us otherwise. In retelling history, even in an entertainment venue, the truth is of primary importance, particularly in relating history to future generations.

• Popular Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Settlers who lived in log cabins never were killed by arrows in the Old West.

I'm wondering if the mentality behind doing away with the arrow-in-the-back dead settler outside the burning cabin isn't so much about lame corporate kowtowing to "being PC" and "not wanting to offend any Native Americans" as it is about not being able (or willing) to provide any kind of counterbalance to the historical reality of the Old West, such as showing unarmed Native men, women, and children being mowed down and shot in the back by soldiers and being deliberately trampled by horses and such (as happened during the Sand Creek Massacre or at Wounded Knee). It's kind of like how there's no Vietnam War-themed land in any amusement park anywhere.

Walt Disney did state on Opening Day in 1955 that Disneyland was "dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America..." One of those hard facts is that a LOT of killing took place in the creation of America, both by European settlers and by Native American peoples.

I'm fine with changing or removing racially and culturally inflammatory rhetoric like "wicked Indians," but we cannot mend political and intercultural fences by whitewashing history and pretending that bad things didn't happen when the historical record tells us otherwise. In retelling history, even in an entertainment venue, the truth is of primary importance, particularly in relating history to future generations.
    interesting thought...hmmm...that really is food for thought! i applaud your wisdom!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Launch sequence engaged

^^You bring up very good points, especially about the idea of offering a counterbalance. Therefore, I think the only option is to have the drunk settler be the culprit. It would be an effective way to send an anti-drinking message to the kids! "Don't drink or you'll burn the house down."

The only other option is to depict the Trail of Tears across the river. I like the former over the latter.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Inhospitable about happy

There have been several discussions like this about the burning cabin. Here's one of the better threads:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...=burning+cabin

I believe it was officially called the "Settler's Cabin" or "Settler's Cabin Afire" and "Burning Settler's Cabin."

Note the guy laying down dead with an arrow in his chest. The Keel Boat skippers (Jungle Cruise on the Rivers of America) always joked he was "wearing an Arrow shirt."

Another one was about the "Injuns throwing a little housewarming party" for him.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 09-15-2006 at 08:47 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    is "A Day at Disneyland" a DVD or something?
    Promotional film made by Disneyland that gives a little over of a day at disneyland. It was sold from about 1994-2001.

• I met Walt Disney!

I remember the burning cabin as a kid. Does the one at WDW still blaze? I was there a year ago and can't remember.

• Animatronic

I don't care if they say "Wicked Micechatters set it ablaze", just as long as they fully restore that whole section of the park. Poor cascade peak, poor Fort Wilderness, Poor Indian Attackers, Poor Burning Cabin. They all need to return.

There was a period of time between the "Indian attack" and the current no fire/no explanation when they would say that the settler's "still was running mighty hot" as the reason for the fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast