Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91
  1. #1

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,480

    John Lasseter Sucks!

    If the reports Al Lutz mentioned in his most recent article are true, then I am seriously disturbed by the prospect of Mr. Lasseter's new prominence within The Walt Disney Company. The only way Disney's California Adventure will ever be successful is by strengthening the concept for the park, creatively-speaking. D.C.A. needs a reason to exist, and the Imagineers responsible for the second gate need something to say. Neither of these things seem possible if the best Mr. Lasseter can do is throw a bunch of Pixar crap into the mix. The monstrosity across from the gates to The Magic Kingdom seems to be becoming an even bigger mess than the place was when it first opened.

    The creative decisions used to plan the park must be justified with reason and logic. While we know that Jay Rasulo does not understand theatre, as is evidenced by his recent edict to place on nametags the hometowns of all Cast members who appear on-Stage, John Lasseter should. Disneyland succeeds so brilliantly because The Magic Kingdom embodies the most elaborate form of theatre humanity has ever devised. Guests pass through the proverbial proscenium arch or invisible fourth wall to step onto the stage and interact with the fictional characters and imaginary worlds of timeless stories from Mark Twain to Charles Perrault to Kenneth Grahame to Lewis Carroll to Rudyard Kipling to Jules Verne to Victor Hugo to dozens of others. The "Toy Story" characters now found in Tomorrowland are not from once-upon-a-time; they're from the here and now. The "Finding Nemo" characters coming to the Submarine Voyage are more associated with a decidedly un-magical dentist office in contemporary Sydney than with a long time ago in a faraway place or a kingdom sealed-off from the outside world.

    Now enters Disney's California Adventure, quite literally the here and now.

    While D.C.A. is a more appropriate place for the Pixar intellectual properties because the park has a contemporary setting, they are not being incorporated into the overall presentation the park makes because the park still doesn't know what it wants to say. In order for a Disney theme park to be a Disney theme park, it has to make sense. All the elements have to build on each other to form a cohesive whole. The dramatic unities of space and time have to be used to make a fully-integrated experience. In short, the park has to have a theme and not be a series of pointless vignettes that amount to absolutely nothing.

    The principal reason D.C.A. has been a commercial failure is that the ideas it embodies are either not fully-realized or are creatively-weak. To strengthen these concepts requires an understanding of all that D.C.A. can be.

    The park has potential, but throwing Green Army Men parachute jumps and the like at the thing will only weaken what is already a weak artistic achievement.

  2. #2

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    I stongly agree!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  3. #3

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    You know, I agree with your overall thoughts on DCA and what it needs, but I'm not going to bash Lassiter just yet.

    My reasons are purely personal and not based on any knowledge of his plans for DCA.

    I'm going to give him a chance because he's the first real "train guy" we've had at the park since Walt.

  4. #4

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    I've already posted multiple times about how I feel about life sized toys tossed around the parks. It wasn't what Toy Story was about, it's not to any theme, and it looks horrid. At best, it'll bring back a fond memory of a fine film and make one wish they were home watching that film instead of seeing giant toys.

    Please, just say NO to Toy Story attractions and characters ANYWHERE in the parks except maybe a parade. If there must be a Toy Story ride, it would have to fall in it's own land, much like Roger Rabbit. At least Roger Rabbit was suppose to be mixed with humans and was life size. Toy Story was a great movie, but it's horrible source material for a theme park.

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    i agree with all of what has been said. unless you want to change DCA into PIXARLAND or PIXAR STUDIOs, then toy story and monsters inc etal makes perfect sense. otherwise they have nothing to do with california and don't fit. lassetter doesn't want to deal with the theme he has and doesn't realise you can't just dump a ride in any old place and make it fit. that isn't disney.that's knots berry farm and six flags

  6. #6

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Lassiter. His history and his work has been nothing but amazing. For all I know, it's all false, or perhaps he was told to "work in toy story everywhere to sell more plush" and he deliberately put down horrid ideas to show how dumb that is.

    In any event, I'm gonna call a spade a spade, and child's messy room a mess and not pretend like a giant mess is a great theme.

    I have great hopes it's all internal politics. If Toy Pier does come to pass, at least I'll be able to say "I told you so."

  7. #7

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    I already sent a letter to guest relations protesting the pixar overlay.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  8. #8

    • Haunted Mansion Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Surprise, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I've already posted multiple times about how I feel about life sized toys tossed around the parks. It wasn't what Toy Story was about, it's not to any theme, and it looks horrid. At best, it'll bring back a fond memory of a fine film and make one wish they were home watching that film instead of seeing giant toys.

    Please, just say NO to Toy Story attractions and characters ANYWHERE in the parks except maybe a parade. If there must be a Toy Story ride, it would have to fall in it's own land, much like Roger Rabbit. At least Roger Rabbit was suppose to be mixed with humans and was life size. Toy Story was a great movie, but it's horrible source material for a theme park.
    I disagree. There already is a Toy Story ride in Tomorrow Land and as far as the characters being in the park my five year old DD goes nuts anytime she sees Sheriff Woody and Jessie. Sometimes we adults need to remember that DL is not just about us.
    Foolish Mortal


  9. #9

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    I disagree. There already is a Toy Story ride in Tomorrow Land and as far as the characters being in the park my five year old DD goes nuts anytime she sees Sheriff Woody and Jessie. Sometimes we adults need to remember that DL is not just about us.
    Actually, Disneyland IS just about us. Walt made Disneyland to bring adults into the family friendly entertainment equation. If we adults feel left out, then Walt and Disneyland has failed.

  10. #10

    • Haunted Mansion Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Surprise, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Actually, Disneyland IS just about us. Walt made Disneyland to bring adults into the family friendly entertainment equation. If we adults feel left out, then Walt and Disneyland has failed.
    Spoken like a true person who does not like children. Walt made it so we could enjoy it together! He did not design DL only for adults and thinking that way is just selfish.
    Foolish Mortal


  11. #11

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,851

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    First, we all have to understand business. THERE IS NO ONE PERSON MAKING THESE DECISIONS. While I agree that DCA needs a focused theme and execution, I don't believe that John Lassiter has the power to implement that. Only Bob Iger can mandate a complete redo for DCA. John Lassiter has influence, but is not all powerful. I am sure that Bob Iger TOLD Lassiter to come up with a new attraction for DCA, featuring Pixar characters. Why Pixar? Because they are the newest films, which have a FRANCHISE! This is all about selling Toy Story dolls!

    I don't believe that John Lassiter is the problem. In fact, he might be the only one who really WANTS to do a complete make over of DCA! But the power of the purse is in Iger's hands. Now, if you were Lassiter would you tell Bob Iger, "No, I will not come up with a new ride for DCA." Or would you try to make the best of the opportunity to improve DCA as much as possible?

    Now as to hating Pixar... Remember that Disney has bought Pixar and so it is not a separate company anymore. Iger is under pressure to make money off of that purchase, so he wants rides geared to Pixar. Lassiter has a deep emotional attachment to his characters, so he is the perfect one to come up with a ride that incorporates them. Let's give him a chance!!

    I never want to shoot a man because he TRIED to do the right thing...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  12. #12

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    Spoken like a true person who does not like children. Walt made it so we could enjoy it together! He did not design DL only for adults and thinking that way is just selfish.
    I actually do like kids, but I'm also an engineer and designer by trade, and making something only a kid likes is far too easy. Kids like to eat paste, should that be what Disneyland serves? Walt could have built Disneyland themed to "Babes in Toyland", but he wanted something that would also appeal to adults (and might actually teach the kids). Hence we got Davey Crocket, Injuns, River boats, Dinosaurs, Pirates, and Journeys through InnerSpace. I was a kid, I loved those things. My Grandfather loved those things. My Father loved those things. Talk about bringing everyone together. To be happy with your kid enjoying a giant toy in the middle of a realistic environment is fine, but there are other solutions that would make everyone happy. That's what Walt was about. Accusations of selfishness and child hatred should not be needed to justify an attraction at Disneyland any more than such slander should be leveled at Walt as he sat on that park bench watching his children having fun, but dared to want something more.

  13. #13

    • Mousketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    627

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    Spoken like a true person who does not like children. Walt made it so we could enjoy it together! He did not design DL only for adults and thinking that way is just selfish.
    So because Lore disagrees with the direction that DCA may possibly be going it is because he hates children? That is the most rediculous thing I've read here today.

    DCA isn't Disneyland, so perhaps it doesn't need to follow the themed rules that Disneyland should live by. I hate the pixarfication of Tomorrowland and Woody's entry into frontierland, but I don't have the same feelings about it in DCA. It is out of the context of a traditional "theme park" but I'll wait and see what Lasseter really brings to the table, it may be something really great, just like what Walt brought about 50 years ago.

  14. #14

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,480

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You know, I agree with your overall thoughts on DCA and what it needs, but I'm not going to bash Lassiter just yet.

    My reasons are purely personal and not based on any knowledge of his plans for DCA.

    I'm going to give him a chance because he's the first real "train guy" we've had at the park since Walt.
    I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt, as well. If you'll notice, my comments are predicated on Mr. Lutz's reports being true.

    I just want to make sure that Lasseter focuses on changing the organizational culture of the company in order to foster more creativity, instead of potentially building monuments to himself.

    There may be a way to incorporate Pixar's intellectual property into D.C.A., but, so far, "a bug's land" and Monsters, Inc., for example, do more to muddle everything. The Walt Disney Company seems to be lost, unclear, and misguided regarding D.C.A., and the direction it should take.

  15. #15

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: John Lasseter Sucks!

    Wow, I actually was happy to hear about the changes.
    But then, I don't mind the Pixar stuff. If it comes from a memorable Disney movie or collaboration, and it entertains kids and adults, it belongs in a Disney park. I am happy that good attention is being paid to DCA, and I am a big fan of the Toy Story films. The notion of giant caracters have always been there, so I have no problem there either.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. John Lasseter: Blu-ray way
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 08:38 AM
  2. John Lasseter at DL Saturday 11/17!!
    By goofypirate in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM
  3. John Lasseter on Alice @97.3
    By Goofster in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 02:10 PM
  4. John Lasseter
    By bonofiededge in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 11:08 PM
  5. John Lasseter
    By captsmith84 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 12:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •