Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Logic

• Minion

Golden Logic

Hmmm - - Now, with Dumbo - - the fantasy of the ride is supposed to be that it's the real "Dumbo the character" you are riding on, right, not a "vehicle of Dumbo"? So how does a "golden Dumbo" the way they have done it (like a dipped-bronze Dumbo statue) make sense?

Shouldn't Dumbo have remained grey, but with shining, gilded costuming, retaining the illusion that it is Dumbo flying there?

The Plausible Impossible is a lost art.

• Parmageddon Jim

On this one, I think you're working a little too hard. I mean, unless it's Dumbo and his clone brothers.

It's the gold-dipped Mr. Lincoln out in front of the Opera House that creeps me out.

• is satisfactual.

You're also boarding INTO Dumbo. And he's motionless, and attached to a beam, going around in circles with clones of himself. If I was a kid, I wouldn't want to think that that Dumbo was the real thing. Would be very creepy.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Merlin has been caught spending his spare time trying to reconcile the Ford Mustang and the Chevy Impala..They look nothing like animals.. are you supposed to be riding the Mustang? Only you can solve this..help us please!

They should just rename the ride "Dumbos, circling replicas of a fictional flying Elephant"

just teasing merlin.. youre great
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Well, I'd say the difference is: Ford was trying to "evoke" the animal's image (be it Mustang or Pinto) by transposing the name onto a non-representational steel vehicle, whereas Disney was (at least originally) trying to "represent" Dumbo as a character within the ride/story of Disneyland wherin you are supposed to use suspension of disbelief in perceiving the vehicle as something other than what it is (Dumbo himself).

It's an interesting theoretical conversation, rather than a suggested controversy. But this sort of thinking goes to the heart of Imagineering - - and is the difference between Disneyland and DCA to a great degree.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    You're also forgetting that there are multiple "real dumbos" all in the same position at the same time.

Ah, the impossible exaggeration is a lost art.

• Minion

>>You're also forgetting that there are multiple "real dumbos" all in the same position at the same time.<<

A flock of Dumbos! Timothy is whipping them into shape...

• U. B. Bold

Doesn't spoil the fantasy of the ride for me Merlin. I just imagine that perhaps Dumbo flew off course a bit (led by those tricky crows of course) and inadvertently winged his way through Earl Sheib and got plastered with gold paint on his way to meet up with his long lost twins at Disneyland. See? All it takes is a little imagination.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Where's my other cent?

Maybe Dumbo got liquored up again and fell into some gold paint.

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    The Plausible Impossible is a lost art.
    How does 20 regular colored Dumbos flying around a fountain make anymore sense?
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Animatronic

Multiple flying Dumbos around a fountain may not make sense, but what about Dumbo being hollowed out with a control stick? Eeew. That ride is just too creepy for me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

If everything was logical, it wouldn't be Disneyland, would it?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    Doesn't spoil the fantasy of the ride for me Merlin. I just imagine that perhaps Dumbo flew off course a bit (led by those tricky crows of course) and inadvertently winged his way through Earl Sheib and got plastered with gold paint on his way to meet up with his long lost twins at Disneyland. See? All it takes is a little imagination.
    "HAAAH, MAH NAME IS EARL SCHEIB, I'LL PAINT ANY ELEPHANT, ANY COLOR FOR ONLY $99.95, NO UPS AND NO EXTRAS!"

Hmm, Disney Presents MTV's Pimp My Flying Elephant.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Minion

"Well, I think I've seen about everything, when I see that elephant bling."

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    "Well, I think I've seen about everything, when I see that elephant bling."

It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast