Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Was there a Tron Themed attraction?

Kind of a poor man's Soarin' Over California "surround" film featuring scenes from Tron, as you went through the Carousal building on the Peoplemover.

It started out as just "Superspeed Tunnel" which was scenes of POVs from boats and racecars with wind thrown in your face, and then when Tron came out, they added those Tron scenes to Superspeed Tunnel and changed the name to something like "Peoplemover, featuring Tron Superspeed Tunnel."

Many of those that worked at the park at that time called it "Ron Superspeed Tunnel" or "The Ron Tunnel" after then Disney chief honcho and producer of Tron (and Walt's son-in-law), Ron Miller.

Some stuff from the internet:

SuperSpeed Tunnel added 1977, Tron feature added 1982 to August 21, 1995
    And here's SuperSpeed's Attraction Poster:
    http://auctions.images.go.com/Images...8/DA14908a.jpg

Though the attraction name when Tron was added seems to have been both, "Peoplemover Thru The World of Tron"....
    http://www.phil-sears.com/Folder%202/9140505_small.jpg

...and Tron Superspeed Tunnel:

SuperSpeed Tunnel
    In 1977, the SuperSpeed Tunnel was added to the PeopleMover. It was located in the Carousel Building, then housing America Sings . Race cars were projected on the walls all around the trains. In 1982, the scenes were changed to clips from Tron's light cycle race scene, and the tunnel was renamed Tron SuperSpeed Tunnel.

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Thank you for the information Asterix! I never knew about the Tron overlay. They should bring it back...

BTW, I love Asterix and Obelix...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Yes there was a Tron themed area the PeopleMover/Rocket Rods went through. I loved how they went through Star Tours though.

• now on the mainland

Man I miss the Tron tunnel. I realize that if the PM came back, Tron probably wouldn't. But the nostalia factor with Tron is probably the highest for me when it comes to Disneyland.

BTW- Does anyone else ever watch Tron just to remember the PM? (crickets chriping) Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Gracey View Post
    Thank you for the information Asterix! I never knew about the Tron overlay. They should bring it back...

BTW, I love Asterix and Obelix...
    Aww, thanks! I love em too.

The Tron tunnels are just more proof that the Peoplemover is a MUST for Disneyland. When I went to Florida last month that was the first thing I went on.

I bet the Imagineering people must be scratching their heads, saying, "Why are these people so nostalgic about the dumb old Peoplemover??"

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    BTW- Does anyone else ever watch Tron just to remember the PM? (crickets chriping) Hmmm....
    Since that part of PM scared me, nooooo way.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    Man I miss the Tron tunnel. I realize that if the PM came back, Tron probably wouldn't. But the nostalia factor with Tron is probably the highest for me when it comes to Disneyland.

I liked Tron. I liked the Tron world in KH 2!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

It is a shame that given the current trend towards 'Synergy', we'd be unlikely to see older films being made into attractions in the parks.

I might be wrong, but most of the 'new' attractions - including the Subs, which are technically a reworking, but based on newish characters - have all been tied into recent films. Monsters Inc, for example, and even the updates on POTC are all closely tied to the highly marketable 'new' characters. I'm not complaining, as it not only makes good business sense, but marks this era of Disney parking as a distinct from the big films of the 70s or 80s, for example.

It is a shame though, because with today's technology, rides based on Tron , the Black Cauldron or similar high-concept films from the era would absolutely kick rear end. Now, I know this is a very generalised statement - as Paris Disneyland pulled out some excellent 20,000 Leagues /Jules Verne attractions, for example - but typically, I think we aren't going to see this happening in American parks.

Still, I guess that's why it is important for us traveller's to get over to the parks every few years so as not to miss some era-defining moment.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Since arcades are generally considered an "attraction" I should mention that the Starcade had a big bank of Tron games, and a nice display wall to go with them.
    i can't even begin to tell you how many quarters i spent in the Starcade at that bank of machines....
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Lost in Wonderland

The Tron section scared me when I was little. I had nightmares about it. But when I was older I thought it was really neat.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I must point out Loomis that since KH2 has come out there have been more people getting into Tron.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I've been a fan of TRON since it's first release...I hear they might be remaking the film. My friend and I actually were in the park in the mid to late 80's and when we found this on the peoplemover, we both had to re-ride and re-ride, as being befitting fans of the film.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Was it from the voice of the MCP that was heard in this segment?

When the People Mover passed over Mission to Mars (now Redd Rocket's Pizza Port), the People Mover is sort of hijacked. The music cuts off and the kind narrator is replaced by Sark's voice. I believe the dialog went:

Warning! You have entered the electronic realm of the Master Computer Program. Prepare for the Game Grid of Tron!

People Mover entered the building. The track's alignment is not the same alignment you see for Rocket Rods. It went through the middle of the 2nd floor. The original alignment was restored for Rocket Rods. Progress City model was here first, then shipped to Florida with the Carousel of Progress. The first room is entering the computer (just like Flynn in the movie) and the second room is the game grid with the recognizers and light cylcles (including the maze created by the light cycle tails). When the People Mover exits the building, you hear Sark's voice once again:

You have escaped Tron's game grid for now, Users! But take heed, next time you may not fare so well...

Then the music comes back on and you continue the descent toward the Autopia.

You can see and hear the Tron Tunnel about half way through this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oggal7RY2ks

...that was just posted in another of several currently running PeopleMover threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12