Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Where's my other cent?

Movie to Ride or Ride to Movie

Here's a thought. I think a lot of us would prefer original, stand on their own rides. But if you had to choose, which would you pick: Rides based on successful original movies, or movies being made after the success of original rides?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Movie to Ride or Ride to Movie

Attractions based off of movies. The latter (with the exception of PotC) has been pretty bad. The ToT movie still makes me shudder every time I hear of it. *shudder*
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

A movie based off a ride.

This is because we can have a world-class original E-Ticket that continues to wow crowds for decades and decades, and then if they make a film out of it and it fails, then it doesn't affect the ride (see: The Haunted Mansion). If the film is a hit then it can affect the ride in positive ways (see: Pirates of the Caribbean).

Original attractions being adapted to film also allows for a great themepark experience - a unique, original experience that matches Adventureland's theme perfectly is now being pushed for film adaptation (see: Jungle Cruise), whereas an attractions in Tomorrowland based on a film, muddle the Tomorrowland theme (see: Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage).

I'd rather see original attractions designed for a specific theme be added to the parks, and then films be based on the attactions. Whereas attractions that are being designed based on a film, are being placed in areas where the theme connection is questionable (see: Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Monsters Inc: Mike & Sulley To The Rescue!, "a bug's land," Midway Mania, Tarzan's Treehouse)

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Attractions based off of movies. The latter (with the exception of PotC) has been pretty bad. The ToT movie still makes me shudder every time I hear of it. *shudder*
    and we agree....again!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• A Pirate's Life For Me

With POTC we now have at least one more category. A ride to movie and then back to ride.

In answer to your question, I think movie going to ride works best in general, but if enough creative people are involved, both methods can produce great results.

• Keep that Zebra safe...

I'll always take a good attraction before a movie (good or bad), but there is room for error on either side. Some attractions will always be memorable, same for movies. Then there are attractions that might just flop, again same with movies.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    and we agree....again!
    I'm beginning to think what you said is beginning to be true with every post.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Can't judge that, IMO. The variable here is going to end up being the script, which is a huge variable-and nowadays there's just no creativity to make an original one, hence all these remakes, and even writing one based off of a ride. Same issue goes for the script for the ride, too...the lack of creativity in movies from what I've seen reflects the lack of creativity for rides, hence why we don't see any original ideas anymore. Original ideas seem to have died. Bummer.

The Pirates films have done wonderfully...and a large part of that is because the movie is able to stand alone, by itself, without saying that it's based on the ride. It's a phenomenon worldwide. They're blockbusters, big pirate movies that Hollywood hasn't seen in ages. People love it. It's something new and fun-and with the actors in the cast an their approach (particularly Johnny Depp's)-it's a huge seller and something very new and special.

Haunted Mansion went in the opposite direction. The movie seemed incredibly attached to the ride, throwing in as many images from it as it could...almost to the point of suffocation of the audience. There was just too much. A person not having ridden the Haunted Mansion at a Disney park wouldn't understand why the singing busts are there. It would probably be a major "Huh?" moment for an unknown audience. And then the acting...but let's not get into that.

Lasseter came on board and checked out what was in store for Disneyland with Nemo. What did he do? He made quite a few adjustments to what they had planned, because he wants to give the public the very best, especially for this old attraction. I don't know, I think that says something about the old plans. Look at, say, the Alice in Wonderland dark ride. Does it make any sense? The ride and the sequence of events are, IMO, incredibly random, and don't even follow the events of the actual movie. We love Alice because it's Alice, but if we could alter the ride to plus it, would we?

Can't wait to see Space Mountain, it's a small world, and the PeopleMover turned into movies!

Attraction to film... Walt Disney Imagineering still has some incredibly talented people, and they should be among those driving the organization.

Generally-speaking, the medium is not important, though.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Can't judge that, IMO. The variable here is going to end up being the script, which is a huge variable-and nowadays there's just no creativity to make an original one, hence all these remakes, and even writing one based off of a ride.
    Yes, that is the crux. The simplest concept in the world could be one of the greatest films ever made if the script knows what to do with it. POTC worked not only because it wasn't completely indebted to the ride - although the visual references were appreciated by the fans - but because it knew to maintain a sense of wry fun and be first and foremost an action/comedy. While I actually enjoyed Haunted Mansion on some levels, pineapplewhiteaddict has correctly spotted that the over-reliance on the ride was a downfall. I also think that the script wasn't terribly strong - the basic story was, as it was just as contrived as the POTC when you think about it, but the humour largely fell flat.

I often joke that a ride based on the Tea Cups must be just around the corner. But when you think about it, a strong script could easily pull out a backstory based on the Mad Hatter and the already existing Lewis Carroll stories. (However, this is already based on a story/movie, but you know what I mean...).

Generally, the attractions in the park that work best are the ones based on movies, as they are closer to the ethos of the park: that is, being able to wlak into a film and exist within that world. However, there are clearly exceptions to that rule, as the POTC movie has shown. Simply because we've had a higher miss than hit rate with the films based on attractions (with Country Bears, Mission to Mars and Haunted Mansion all largely being critical and commercial disasters and most people never having heard of Tower of Terror), it doesn't preclude the possibility of a successful Jungle Cruise movie, for example. In fact, if I had to pick one ride that would make a good film, that would be it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Rides based on movies seem to work better than movies based on rides.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

Make a great movie, turn it into a ride! im sure there are movies that we want to see as attractions (an Aladin dark ride anyone?) But i agree with what some people said about a sucky movie not affecting the ride. Make an original E-ticket...than make a movie out of it...IF YOU MUST!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Animatronic

Rides and movies are two different things. They can share props, but if they share plots, one or the other is gonna be in trouble.

I'm still waiting for a movie based on Seasons of the Vine.

• For You!

Okay, so what was first - the Tower of Terror movie or the ride?? My kids and I just watched the movie on ABC Family. They really liked it. I didn't think it was terrible. And hey, anything that keeps my kids quiet for 2 hours is awesome!

Anyway, a lot of things in the movie looked like the ride - the lobby, the guests, etc. I'm just curious.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast