Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• SoCal "Select" Cheapskate

What Would Walt Think of The Disneyland and the Company Now?

So much has changed in our world and in technology that I have a hard time believing that Walt could foresee any of the opportunities for the company today. So, if he was alive today, what would his opinion be of Disneyland specifically? While we're on the topic...what about the company in general?

I would say that he would be 90% pleased with the park. First, he would change the sponsoring so that no attraction would be sponsored by AT&T, Dole, etc. Before AT&T sponsored Indianna Jones, it was very hard to find a reference to the "outside world" inside of the park--now it is everywhere.

Second, he would dislike how lax management has gotten with things like allowing CM's to walk down mainstreet in costume off their shifts, ushering people backstage down mainstreet to the exits, etc. Walt was big on the whole magic thing so I think he would bring that back as much as possible.

I think he would make California Adventure a lot more magical than it is now. He would have never allowed a park based on everything non-Disney. He would make it a complete Pixar Park.

Which leads me to the company in general...he would appreciate progress and so the purchasing of Pixar and taking animation where it has gone (Nemo, Incredibles, etc.) would be 100% Walt approved.

In regard to purchasing ESPN, ABC, Sports Teams, etc. It is hard to say. Of course a company needs to stay involved with its industry...especially to make financial success possible to continue other endeavours. But I think faced with this reality, Walt would just turn over business investments to other guys and just focus on the magic of the "Disney" image.

One thing I know he would not like, is the compromises Disney has made with its morals and standards in entertainment. Too many Disney movies with cleavage, innapropriate behavior, language, clothing, etc. Although it is all still G or PG-rated, Walt was BIG on conservative morals.

Also, I don't think Walt would have allowed Jar Jar Binks to be in Episode 1. I know that is not a Disney movie, but I still think he would've done something.

What do you guys think?

Re: What Would Walt Think of The Disneyland and the Company Now?

I think he'd say, "Where the heck is my tobacco store!"

• Former Epcot CM

"I should have stayed on that farm."
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Talking Re: What Would Walt Think of The Disneyland and the Company Now?

I don't think he'd like all of it. I think he'd be mortified at what has happened to TOMORROWLAND. I don't think he'd like the movies that the subsidiary movie companies are producing. I think he wouldn't like how Lindsay Lohan acts off screen - since she is linked to Disney and therefore is representation of....

I don't think he'd like the WAR in Disney that seems to be - it's more of a 'cold war' now.......that's sort of how I see it.

It's tough when your leader 'goes away' and no one has the capacity to fill his shoes.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Cacopelao! View Post
    ...I don't think Walt would have allowed Jar Jar Binks to be in Episode 1. I know that is not a Disney movie, but I still think he would've done something....
    Ha ha! This was the funniest line of this whole posting - thanks for the laugh!

And before Indiana Jones there was no corporate sponsorship - what? What about "Richfield's Autopia", or the "Monsanto House of the Future", or "Adventures through Innerspace, sponsored by Monsanto", or the Electric Light Parade, Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, Peoplemover, all of which had sponsors? Can you share whatever you're smoking?

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Ha ha! This was the funniest line of this whole posting - thanks for the laugh!

And before Indiana Jones there was no corporate sponsorship - what? What about "Richfield's Autopia", or the "Monsanto House of the Future", or "Adventures through Innerspace, sponsored by Monsanto", or the Electric Light Parade, Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, Peoplemover, all of which had sponsors? Can you share whatever you're smoking?
    Also, linking in with Frogberto's post, money doesn't grow on trees, even for the Walt Disney Company. Without some of these sponsorships, those attractions wouldn't be as half as spectacular.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

For the Disney Company, Walt would probably nit-pick at a few things here and there, but I am sure he would have been impressed with Pixars computer animation technology and all the expansion the company went through since his passing.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cacopelao! View Post
    First, he would change the sponsoring so that no attraction would be sponsored by AT&T, Dole, etc. Before AT&T sponsored Indianna Jones, it was very hard to find a reference to the "outside world" inside of the park--now it is everywhere.
    I'll let people smarter than me chime in on the rest of the post, but judging by the quote above, you must be very young.

I say that because young people today seem to think the world began with their birth. Before that, there was nothing, and certainly no history to speak of.

So you think it was hard to find sponsorships or references to the outside world before Indiana Jones?

Then you don't remember the following:

--The SANTA FE & Disneyland Railroad;

--The BANK OF AMERICA sponsorship of Small World;

--The UPJOHN Pharmacy;

--The Casa De FRITO

--The REAL ESTATE OFFICE on Main Street;

--The LINGERIE shop on Main Street (it doesn't get any more "real world" than that!)

--The MONSANTO House of the Future;

--The KAISER Hall of Aluminum Fame

--The CHICKEN OFTHE SEA Pirate Ship

--The POLAROID Camera shop on Main Street;

See, the real world and sponsorships have been around far longer than you seem to think. Often, those sponsorships enhanced the fantasy (as with the trains), by giving the fantasy a basis in reality.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-23-2006 at 06:25 PM.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Talking Re: What Would Walt Think of The Disneyland and the Company Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'll let people smarter than me chime in on the rest of the post, but judging by the quote above, you must be very young.

I say that because young people today seem to think the world began with their birth. Before that, there was nothing, and certainly no history to speak of.

So you think it was hard to find sponsorships or references to the outside world before Indiana Jones?

Then you don't remember the following:

--The SANTA FE & Disneyland Railroad;

--The BANK OF AMERICA sponsorship of Small World;

--The UPJOHN Pharmacy;

--The Casa De FRITO

--The REAL ESTATE OFFICE on Main Street;

--The LINGERIE shop on Main Street (it doesn't get any more "real world" than that!)

--The MONSANTO House of the Future;

--The ALCOA Hall of Aluminum Fame

--The CHICKEN OFTHE SEA Pirate Ship

--The POLAROID Camera shop on Main Street;

See, the real world and sponsorships have been around far longer than you seem to think. Often, those sponsorshops enhanced the fantasy (as with the trains), by giving the fantasy a basis in reality.
    WOW! Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally I remember:

Polaroid Camera Shop, Chicken of the Sea pirate ship, Casa de Frito, Bank of America's sponsorship of It's a Small World and do you recall that the Bank of Main STreet was actually a BofA - do you remember that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

How could any of us assume that? To my knowledge, no one on this board knew Walt on a personal level.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    How could any of us assume that? To my knowledge, no one on this board knew Walt on a personal level.
    To my knowledge, no one has confirmed that this is exactly what Walt would thing.

He would probably love Disney's California Adventure, spend all day on Paradise Pier and order Soarin' to be demolished and sold to Magic Mountain. I don't know. I never said I did.

It's just a little bit of fun, I'm sure.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Do you recall that the Bank of Main Street was actually a BofA - do you remember that?
    Sure do! Another one of those "real world" sponsorships that made Main Street seem just a bit more "real," and because of that, made the fantasy better.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-22-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    From a post of mine on this same "What Would Walt..." subject on another bulletin board:

Celestial Transcript dated March 17, 2006:

Walt: Well...back just before I passed away...I had heard... What? I though I got a cue there!

Angel: Sorry Walt, we weren't ready yet.

Walt: [cough] I thought I got a cue.

Angel: Yeah. Sorry. We're...okay, we're ready now.

Walt: I can start now? [cough]

Angel: Yeah, we're set. Go!

Walt: Ya see, back just before I passed away I had heard of this new thing...this experiment...in brain transplantation, and well, it looked promising and all. I had been looking at freezing my whole body, but there wasn't much progress there that looked very...well, it just didn't look good there. So I decided on the brain thing. We did some quick polling of hospitals and schools and such and found this young kid...Opus I think was his name...and well...he didn't have too much upstairs if you know what I mean [laughs] so [cough] his parents agreed to the operation and so after I died he got my brain and he knows what I would think now. And that's how the whole thing started: An uncle with several thousand employees and an adoring public wanting to know how he could keep things going in the right direction after he was gone. And that's how Opus got started.

Walt: [cough] Okay. How was that?

Angel: That was fine, Walt. Great.

Walt: 'Ya don't think we should do another one...ah...just to be sure?

Angel: Naw. It was great. Really. One take.

Walt: [cough] Two! It was two takes! I could have sworn I got a cue there.

Angel: Walt...you know what we've told you about swearing up here.

Walt: Ah...right. [laughs][coughs] Thanks for reminding me. We done?

Angel: We're done. See you around.

Walt: So long.
    Posted just so there's no question.

• The one, the only...

While I think it is possible to compare principles that Walt Disney advocated to determine if he might have approved, it is impossible to determine an emotional opinion about the "state of the company" or Disneyland. Walt Disney always wanted to run the company himself. He did not delegate well. So I am sure he would feel he could do a better job, but beyond that, I don't know.

He did want to present the best show possible for the customer. Quality was his guiding light. He wanted everything to be the very best because his name was on everything.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Walt Disney always wanted to run the company himself. He did not delegate well.
    I would agree with the first part, but disagree with the second part of that.

I think he was great at delegating. He just wanted to be the final arbiter. IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast