Special Assistance Passes

I'm just curious if DL has reinstated the Special Assistance Passes. The last time I was there (October 2004) my mom and I were told that they had discontinued the special assistance passes due to people abusing them, but I've read a couple of posts claiming that they have been reinstated and modified to prevent abuse. Is this true? Are they back? and if so what are the conditions that need to be met to get one. My mother is a diabetic and can't stand in the hot sun for too long or her blood sugar level gets too low and she gets light headed and I'm afraid she might pass out while standing in line and hurt herself. We got special assistance passes when we took a trip to WDW last summer no problem, but when we tried to get one last october we were told they discontined them....the CM at city hall wouldn't even look at my mother's doctors note. If anyone has any info about this it would mean a lot to me.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Helios77
    I'm just curious if DL has reinstated the Special Assistance Passes. The last time I was there (October 2004) my mom and I were told that they had discontinued the special assistance passes due to people abusing them, but I've read a couple of posts claiming that they have been reinstated and modified to prevent abuse. Is this true? Are they back? and if so what are the conditions that need to be met to get one. My mother is a diabetic and can't stand in the hot sun for too long or her blood sugar level gets too low and she gets light headed and I'm afraid she might pass out while standing in line and hurt herself. We got special assistance passes when we took a trip to WDW last summer no problem, but when we tried to get one last october we were told they discontined them....the CM at city hall wouldn't even look at my mother's doctors note. If anyone has any info about this it would mean a lot to me.

Oy. No, there is no longer a Special Assistance Pass. They have nice guide pamphlet with instructions for guests with how special needs can visit the attractions, shows and parades.

The SAP was discontinued because it gave "front of the line" privileges to a certain group of people (and there was some abuse of it). Nowadays you just follow the guide for Disneyland, and of course every queue in DCA is accessible to everyone - no need for a special treatment - just hop in line with all the regular guests!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Minion

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Helios77

I think it is disgraceful that these special assistance passes have been discontinued. These passes were made to help people like your mother. If they give them out at Disney World, why not Disneyland. There should be uniformity about this issue in all the theme parks. They could modify the pass and have a member of the party wait in line and then when boarding time arrives, everyone including the person who has special needs boards....This is disgraceful. I wonder if this policy at DL violates the Americans With Disabilites Act.

Bring back the Special Assistance Passes!!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    I thought they replaced the SAP with the GAC. It was my understanding that you needed proof of dissbility to obtain one. Is my information faulty?
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    Bring back the Special Assistance Passes!!
    No way!!! The SAP was the most abused program in the park. It was WAY abused. The current system gives needed assistance, without being such a sweet deal that it is abused by EVERYONE that knows about it.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    No way!!! The SAP was the most abused program in the park. It was WAY abused. The current system gives needed assistance, without being such a sweet deal that it is abused by EVERYONE that knows about it.

I second that!!!

• Minion

What is GAC? Discrimination in all forms is ugly.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I thought I remembered Al reporting that the program had been changed to the one used at WDW- You get a pass that is specific to your disability- if you can't wait in line, you get a wheelchair and can wait in queues that are wide enough to accomodate on- for those that are not, you get an appointment to come back, sort of like a fast pass. I thought that if you had a doctor's note, you could still get a pass which would accomodate your needs.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I thought I remembered Al reporting that the program had been changed to the one used at WDW- You get a pass that is specific to your disability- if you can't wait in line, you get a wheelchair and can wait in queues that are wide enough to accomodate on- for those that are not, you get an appointment to come back, sort of like a fast pass. I thought that if you had a doctor's note, you could still get a pass which would accomodate your needs.

I hope this is true. It would be awful to think that DL was not accomodating.

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)
    I cant imagin that they would do something that stupid... it would turn a lot of people away from the park... and they would get all sorts of complaints... You would think that the trouble it would case to just get rid of it all wouldn't be worth it...
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

Quote Originally Posted by KoH
    I thought they replaced the SAP with the GAC. It was my understanding that you needed proof of dissbility to obtain one. Is my information faulty?
    No. KoH is correct. The current deal is the GAC, and I think the card specifies what the disability is.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

dont worry there is such a thing its just different. if you have a cane, crutches, wheelchair or ecv you don't need a pass those are your passes. if its a non apparent thing like your moms diabetes have some sort of doctors note or something else take that to city hall and more than likely they will give you a pass with some arrows on it which for fast pass attractions will send you that way but everything else you go through the exit.
    they are not gone but it is harder to get them since it was really easy before for anyone to walk up to city hall and get a pass even if they didn't look injured or handicapped in the slightest
    i have no idea

• The Magics in the details

There is still an assistive policy at DLR, but it is no longer carte blanche. Guests with visible disabilities or standing/stamina disabilities are to use fastpass, because this system is already in place to assist with long attraction queues. Guests with problems standing for long periods of time will also be encouraged to rent wheel chairs and ECVs, given that the park is dozens of acres in size and walking from attraction to attraction would seem to be a difficult task for a guest with standing problems as well. As far as ADA compliance, DLR is 100% compliant with ADA, which specifies that guest must be given proper access to attractions despite their disability. There is no reparation in ADA for faster boarding or immediate access to theme park experiences. If guests have questions, or are unsure how to access the park with their disability/situation, they are encouraged to stop into City Hall or the Guest Relations Lobby (DCA) to ask questions. Oh, and one last thing. DMV issued Handicapped Parking Plackards (and proofs of disability) are certainly valid for Handicapped parking spaces, but please do not bring these and flash them to Cast Members, expecting special access to attractions or special consideration based on showing that alone. It's never a questions of whether the guest is disabled, but rather how the resort can specifically help with that disability. Specialized proof of disability not required and not necessarily considered when a cast member is explaining assistance. I hope this all makes sense.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Thanks to the CM's for clearing this up.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.