Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walt's SSN

Re: Walt's SSN

I had no idea Walt's parents were Canadian. I at least learned that from this interesting thread.

• Vehicle rotating backward

For a while people used to use Richard Nixon's SSN when asked for their own to express dissatisfaction with the ongoing government systems to more thoroughly document it's citizens, but people who did that wound up missing out on benefits later in life.

As Garrett said, things are a lot more simpler now. As with most things in life, we comply with government's wishes even when we begrudge them.

• Banned User

I wonder what happened to the house at 355 Carolwood Drive in Holmby Hills. Is it still there, and if so, how many times has it changed hands since, if at all?

Am I the only one who thinks this is highly inappropriate and invasive?
    Of course people can use this website however they wish to. But it was designed for people who were trying to search for their genealogy. Ancestry.com is a big site for people trying to their their "family roots". So the purpose of the site is to help people find the names and information on their ancestors. Like I said, people can use the site how they will and look up what they want, if it makes them happy to do that.

• debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    I wonder what happened to the house at 355 Carolwood Drive in Holmby Hills. Is it still there, and if so, how many times has it changed hands since, if at all?
    Up until her death in 1997, I believe that Lillian Disney still lived there. I've driven by and you could see Mickeys in the front gate's iron work. I'm not sure if it still there or not. A lot of the old properties in the area are raised when they are resold so that more modern structures can be built. It's really a shame but when it's your property, you can do what you want.

"Pickfair", the famous home of Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, once considered more famous than the White House, was bought by Pia Zadora who leveled it. Same thing with the Sharon Tate house (Manson killings) on Ceilo Drive and OJ's home on Rockingham Lane. Bing Crosby's former home was destroyed to make room for Aaron Spellings Mansion.

Sorry for the tangent. Hollywood history buff here. I would love to see the Disney Estate preserved, railroad and all. Sadly, the odds are not good.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    ... I would love to see the Disney Estate preserved, railroad and all. Sadly, the odds are not good.
    The railroad was pulled out years ago. When the house was in escrow, Diane Disney Miller prevailed upon the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society's Michael Broggie, (son of Disney Legend Roger Broggie) to move Walt's Barn to Griffith Park
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    Of course people can use this website however they wish to. But it was designed for people who were trying to search for their genealogy. Ancestry.com is a big site for people trying to their their "family roots". So the purpose of the site is to help people find the names and information on their ancestors. Like I said, people can use the site how they will and look up what they want, if it makes them happy to do that.
    I do family geneology and Ancestry.com has been a huge help in information, The last few years the amount of information on living people has been resticted and limited in many ways, I think for the better. this is one of two website that i use for about 80% of the info I get. The other site is rootsweb.com. I have traced my family back to 1340 in England.

Bob
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Since there's no avoiding the "death" aspect of all this (partially my fault, I admit)...and to put a more personal touch to Walt's influence on people...I thought I'd just tuck these two links in here about the effect on a few of those people that knew him well...when he passed away. Requires RealPlayer.

http://mfile.akamai.com/13494/rm/dol...lorida_vid1.rm

http://mfile.akamai.com/13494/rm/dol...lorida_vid2.rm

And the flag being lowered to half-staff at Walt's baby...Disneyland...in remembrance, on that sad day back in 1966:

It's just that only SSNs and Death Certificates...well...all seem a bit sterile, IMHO.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Uncle Theo - love your generic logo! - When will the t-shirts be available for purchase?

Minnietoo

Thank you for sharing those links, Opus1guy.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Can't imagine why the interest in his SSN...but for those oh-so curious...his SSN, address, and other info has always been available to anyone on his death certificate:

My brother's SSN and mine are 1 digit off...so they must not have been using computer check-digits back in those days. Perhaps they are now...but I don't know one way or the other.
    Someone needs to update Walt's Wikipedia entry. They have his time of death as 3:00am, when the death certificate shows different.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    I used to work in the "New Accounts - Fraud Prevention" department of a credit card company.

When anybody sends in a credit card application, the SSN number is automaticly checked with a government site of SSN's of dead people. If it matches the SSN of a dead person, it would be flagged as fraud.
    Well thats good.

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

If someone tries to use any persons SSN, after their death has been recorded to the Social Security Administration (SSA), it will be found out rather quickly. This is why after death your SSN becomes *public* record.

I work for my counties Social Services agency, and believe me, folks don't want a deceased persons SSN, they want a SSN of a individual who is alive. Every month our Eligibility workers do a SSN checks on clients to see if there is any new earned income. Imagine one workers surprise when their homeless, disabled, female client started making $5000 a month in a different county doing construction! Turns out her SSN was being used illegally by a male down in Southern California. Every month I punch my SSN into the system, just to see if it's being used by someone else, I also check my yearly SSA statement, to make sure nothing is off.

Don't worry, those who try to use a deceased persons SSN will be caught rather quickly. Walt's number is safe.

• Former Epcot CM

*shakes head*
    Disney geeks.
    *tuts*

Oh my god, get the hell off my untouched-by-human-hands Tokyo Disneyland maps, mother!
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    *shakes head*
    Disney geeks.
    *tuts*

Oh my god, get the hell off my untouched-by-human-hands Tokyo Disneyland maps, mother!

All of those Smarties are going to your head.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast