• U. B. Bold

Talking Just got my new "Art of Disneyland" book!

WooHoo! The UPS man just delivered The Art of Disneyland by Jeff Kurtti & Bruce Gorden and boy is it a beauty. If you're not familiar with this book, it was published for the 50th and is packed from cover to cover with sketches, paintings, plans and maps that were used in the design, building and selling of Disneyland. The best thing about it? It's 100% Disneyland. No DCA, WDW, TDL, HKDL or DLP. Nope, just all Disneyland all the time!

The cover.

The book is 130 pages of large, beautiful artwork printed on heavy paper. The front papers are a map of Disneyland from 1958 and the end papers show the park in approximately 2000. The book starts with an overview of Disneyland's design and proceeds clockwise, land by land around the park, from Main St. USA to Tomorrowland and all points in between. My only complaint? The book is too short. I could have looked at twice as many sketches from the archives, and would have really enjoyed more on earlier attractions that have since moved on to Yesterland.

All in all I would say that this book is a must-have for any hardcore Disney geek and especially for those who can't get enough of Disneyland.

PS: I saw this book for sale at the park for around $75. I bought it online from Amazon for $32.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 09-26-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• rebmeM roinuJ

Re: Just got my new "Art of Disneyland" book!

well so far im sold. anyone else recommend this too?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

This is one of my favorite books:

It is $32.97 at Amazon (less if you buy it used). The picture above is a link.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Anybody know if there's any difference between this one and the one in the park, besides the cover/dust jacket art?

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    Anybody know if there's any difference between this one and the one in the park, besides the cover/dust jacket art?
    I was wondering that too.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I'm not sure there is any difference. As far as I can tell, it is the same one. This older review, which I compared with my copy, seems to confirm that.

Mine arrived last week, and I'm very excited. I missed out on picking it up in the parks last year, so I jumped at the chance to pick up another piece of Dinseyland merchandise. I even wrote a little review that I was going to share at an appropriate point. This seems like one.

Art of Disneyland (Disney Editions - September 2006)/Jeff Kurti & Bruce Gordon

With Disneyland celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2005, Disney wasted no opportunity to publicize that milestone. With some excellent books being published over the last year - including the comprehensive park-exclusive Disneyland: Then, Now and Forever - Disneyland fans have been spoiled for choice.

This latest entry, another one that was previously exclusively available in the theme parks but has now been released to the wider market, is one of the most beautiful yet. Rather than taking a nostalgic look at the different eras of the park, or even the technical aspects of the ride-making and Imagineering, this concentrates purely on the concept art that has either been used a model for beloved rides and attractions (or even the park itself), or has at the very least inspired the Imagineers to reach for the stars.

After a brief introduction from recently retired Imagineering legend Marty Sklar, the reader is taken through the park land by land with concept art; sketches and paintings of what would eventually become - and sometimes not become - fixtures of our favourite theme park. Covering everything from initial park concept art to Indiana Jones, artists include such big Disney names as Mary Blair, Marc Davis, Eyvind Earle, John Hench and Herbert Ryman and commentary is provided where appropriate. While there is some visual repetition with previous books on the marker - particularly the aforementioned Disneyland: Then, Now and Forever - and Disneyland buffs are sure to have seen much of this material before, the sheer volume of art and coffee table value alone is enough to keep most fans interested.

###

Still, I can't help but echo the above comments about it being too short!
    Last edited by Loomis; 09-26-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks