Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• out & about

CHOC Walk vs. AIDS Walk

Whys the LA AIDS Walk getting all the attention when the CHOC Walk is coming up first and has more related to the cause of this site (it takes place at Disneyland after all)? Theres hardly been a passing mention of the CHOC Walk in any weekly "Round-Up" let alone a full-blown team or banners advertising the event with solicitations for sponsors. Theres even a specially designed micechat logo! wtf?

Dont think my debate is personal... Im just wondering why the CHOC Walk isnt getting the same support as the AIDS Walk.

CHOC Walkers of the world unite!
    Last edited by WRDup; 09-27-2006 at 07:03 PM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Cast Member

Re: CHOC Walk vs. AIDS Walk

They have better PR? It's in LA and it's about AIDS. Probably the two biggest reasons. It's more fashionable to support AIDS causes and it's in LA, as opposed to Orange County which is "not as fun and hip".

I make no claim that my theory is correct, just simply my own reasoning.

Bye.

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    They have better PR? It's in LA and it's about AIDS. Probably the two biggest reasons. It's more fashionable to support AIDS causes and it's in LA, as opposed to Orange County which is "not as fun and hip".

I make no claim that my theory is correct, just simply my own reasoning.

Bye.
    so you think the AIDS Walk is popular on THIS message board because its in LA and is about AIDS? I dont get your reason. Why would those reasons make it more popular with the people on this site?

@WRDinc

• Cast Member

My bad, I thought you meant IN GENERAL, not on *this* board.

I have no idea.

Bye.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

The short answer is that it is mostly because we have a large contingency of gay people on the boards here, and we like to show them support. It's not because it's "fashionable", it's because a lot of us have this particular cause as a priority.
    A signature should go here.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Dude, its not a competition. They are both for a good cause. Just because more people in one area decide to support one of the walks doesn't mean the other one is less important.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I believe one reason is that a couple people asked if we could have an official MiceChat team for AIDS Walk LA. I don't believe there was an official request for a MiceChat CHOC Walk team.

I, for one, would love to do CHOC Walk in the future. By the time I went to sign up, they had maxed out on registrations for the event.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post
    I believe one reason is that a couple people asked if we could have an official MiceChat team for AIDS Walk LA. I don't believe there was an official request for a MiceChat CHOC Walk team.

I, for one, would love to do CHOC Walk in the future. By the time I went to sign up, they had maxed out on registrations for the event.

WHAT?!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    WHAT?!
    I'm sorry, but what are you WHATTING?!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    I'm sorry, but what are you WHATTING?!

sorry, didnt mean to yell. i said what to mamabot because she said registration was maxed out. my mom hadnt registered yet, and shes supposed to walk with me. but, we went to the site and got her all registered. so, nevermind and again, sorry for yelling.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

I've heard of AIDS Walk. But what's CHOC Walk? What does "CHOC" do or support?

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    I've heard of AIDS Walk. But what's CHOC Walk? What does "CHOC" do or support?
    Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC). They are, as the name implies, a children's hospital, mainly focusing on childhood cancer as well as other diseases.

And to the original poster, I'll see you next weekend at the CHOC walk, on your team. It doesn't mean that you can't do both, and both are good causes - in a free country, people can choose to support or walk for whatever charities they like.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

WRDup - perhaps next year you can work with Micechat admin staff and actually field an official MICE CHAT team for the CHOC walk (and I recommend Tassie's wonderful quote "this isn't about chocolate?" for the team slogan) and then if a logo is created you can go from there with shirts and hats and all sorts of swag.

Just an idea!!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post

if you read this thread youll notice that several people were asking for an official MiceChat team. None of the leaders of this board seemed to take notice so I invited whom ever to join with me (thanks to those who did join or donate).

it just seems odd that the people (mods or bff's of mods) in the right position, imo, dropped the ball and let such a great opportunity pass by. with all the support this site has and the love everyone shares for Disney it would seem like a CHOC team would have been a golden opportunity for us to band together to help out a cause thats so closely related to the cause and mission of the Disney Company itself.

Instead, the powers that be decided to promote their own personal cause on a site dedicated to Disney.

im not trying to take away from the AIDS Walk because it is a respectable effort and I know Im gonna get crap from some people who say Im "dissing" the AIDS Walk but it would have seemed more appropriate for a community of Disney affeciandos (sp?) to back a Disney sponsored charity event with the same enthusiasm as the AIDS Walk.

If this were a Message Board dedicated to the Gay lifestyle wouldnt it seem a little off putting if the site were supporting a charity walk to benefit hunger in Ethiopia while in the same time frame ignoring a gay-centric charity event?
    Last edited by WRDup; 09-28-2006 at 03:12 AM.

@WRDinc

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    And to the original poster, I'll see you next weekend at the CHOC walk, on your team...
    thanks for your support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    - in a free country, people can choose to support or walk for whatever charities they like.
    while this is very true Im just a little discouraged that this wasnt more important to people who claim to have such an interest in Disney-ish stuff. It makes their "love" seem superficial!

but hey... no hard feelings. this all really just an observation. Im quite content with my/our team and I know well have a good time.

@WRDinc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast