Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLH new sign

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

DLH new sign

has anyone seen the new Disneyland Hotel sign? it is now on the side of one of the towers, darkbeer's photos show a good picture of it:

http://www.darkbeer.smugmug.com/gall...515/7/98660296

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: DLH new sign

I'm glad they stuck with a similar font. I haven't noticed it in person, yet, but it looks nice from what I can tell.
    <o>

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I'm not crazy about the little picture above the sign. All it needs is the old English font. It's such a classic that it speaks for itself.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    I'm glad they stuck with a similar font. I haven't noticed it in person, yet, but it looks nice from what I can tell.
    Ditto. It really is good they kept the font. Thanks to Darkbeer.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    Ditto. It really is good they kept the font.
    I wish they had kept the font!

• the F.O.D. solution.

I'm down with the font, though the little castle image has to go! Reminds me of a graphic one would see on feminine hygene products...like the Snow White Enchanting Musical, and 2000 Epcot logos. I prefer the old school, blocky castle graphic.

• Popular Princess

i like it, although, ditto, the little castle needs to go
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

Well, opus1guy, the font is close to the original. Isn't it the same font as the recent sign that was removed?

• Banned User

They still use the old fanshined logo too! Kudos to Disney!

• Minion

The D and h are different, but better than what they could have done. I'm not sure what one poster meant by the same logo.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by nemopoppins View Post
    Well, opus1guy, the font is close to the original. Isn't it the same font as the recent sign that was removed?
    Close, but no cigar. And no...it's not the same as the one that was removed on the Sierra tower. They maintained the "classic" Disneyland Hotel font on the building until it was taken down last year. Here's a photo of it being removed last year (may be a Darkbeer photo):

The font they are using on the new sign is a mix of the current Disneyland font, which has been used for decades (and the longest) for Disneyland Park, and also often at the Disneyland Hotel in recent years since Disney (under Eisner) purchased the hotel from Wrather Enterprises. But even that current Disneyland logo and new sign is not the classic original (though some would now call it "retro") "Big D" Disneyland font either. See:

...though even that one had some minor changes made to it during its run.

In the beginning and for most of their lives, Disneyland and the Disneyland Hotel had their own distinct yet very similar fonts styles. Though there were instances of the occasional slop-overs. This new Disneyland Hotel font (with the underscored H) is basically one they started using some time after Disney took over the hotel.

The sign looks good. Thanks to Darkbeer for all the great pics.

• Don't hate the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Close, but no cigar. And no...it's not the same as the one that was removed on the Sierra tower. They maintained the "classic" Disneyland Hotel font on the building until it was taken down last year. Here's a photo of it being removed last year (may be a Darkbeer photo):

The font they are using on the new sign is a mix of the current Disneyland font, which has been used for decades (and the longest) for Disneyland Park, and also often at the Disneyland Hotel in recent years since Disney (under Eisner) purchased the hotel from Wrather Enterprises. But even that current Disneyland logo and new sign is not the classic original (though some would now call it "retro") "Big D" Disneyland font either. See:

...though even that one had some minor changes made to it during its run.

In the beginning and for most of their lives, Disneyland and the Disneyland Hotel had their own distinct yet very similar fonts styles. Though there were instances of the occasional slop-overs. This new Disneyland Hotel font (with the underscored H) is basically one they started using some time after Disney took over the hotel.

It's sad seeing them take that sign down! And I loved this font more than the OLD Disneyland Hotel font, personally.

• Banned User

well I like it. can't wait to see it again

Well...at least they didn't use this one:

...which was an official Disneyland font used in the early 1960's for various things...but was mainly used in third-party advertising (such as in ads and flyers for Private Parties, and contests and sweepstakes and such by corporate Park participants, etc). But Disneyland used it on occasion on their printed material too.

It is kinda a fun font however, and has a sort of Mad Hatter feel to it.

As a professional critique of the new Disneyland Hotel sign in the original post:

1. I don't like (or perhaps just can't make out) the castle logo, and am hoping the photo was taken while it's still being worked on.

2. I think the castle and letter "lines" are spaced too far apart.

But then again...as Stan Freberg said:

"Everybody wants to be an Art Director,
    Everybody wants to call the shots..."

Last edited by Opus1guy; 10-01-2006 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast