Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Someone asked if the scale in the images is different, to which the answer is no. If you look at the original images, scale is listed on the bottom right hand corner and it is identical b/t images. ... Just my opinion, but with the insane amount of money spent to develop SPACE, it's a pretty sure bet that it will be cloned eventually (though I don't see it opening elsewhere for another 7-10 years).
    I agree completely, as soon as Eminem settles all his lawsuits, I mean as soon as Eisner settles all his lawsuits, this technology is definitely being put to use again... Oriental Land Company will have this thing built in Tokyo within 6 months.

Disneyland will get it after it's 10 years old (a la Twilight Zone).

• Banned User

Why would Japan want such a garbage ride?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Why would Japan want to build on the $100 million dollar ride system developed by Walt Disney World?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    ...the graphics on SPACE could have been better--it has a very video game-ish feel to it, and the story is not what I had originally hoped for. However, now that R&D would be minimal for cloning the ride system, they could build this at DL for much less than its $100,000,000+ price tag at Epcot. Changing story line would not be a problem, and the original at Epcot was indeed designed to change flight plans every 10 years or so (whether or not that will actually happen is another issue entirely, but it is certainly possible)... the ride system itself was incredible, though it could have been used better, which is something possible in a clone... Just my opinion, but with the insane amount of money spent to develop SPACE, it's a pretty sure bet that it will be cloned eventually (though I don't see it opening elsewhere for another 7-10 years).
    I think pyrateslife4me84 summed it up already ! ! !

• Minion

See, last time I was at WDW, I deliberately chose a resort close to Epcot so I could get my FastPass, try out the brand new M:S, get another FastPass for it, and ride it several times throughout the week.

Rode it once. That was enough.

I just don't get the appeal of a "sit in your chair and watch a monitor" attraction. It was hyped as being very interactive. I think I was asked to press one button, and it didn't seem to have any bearing on the ride if I had chosen not to press it. It was hyped as being a realistic flight sensation. It wasn't any more sensational than the old Gravitron carnival rides. No one I was with found it in any way remarkable or re-ride-able. Not a very good response from people who really really wanted to like this ride.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    This is also a ride which somehow managed to increase Epcot's attendance significantly over the other WDW theme parks in 2003, when it opened (pretty close to a 10% increase in attendance that year). Someone clearly likes it. I don't think anyone will argue that it couldn't have been done better or that corners were not cut from the original, far more exciting storyline they had planned (if you look at the posters they sell for the ride, you can get a pretty good idea of what was the original plan). However, they had to cut corners due to the prohibitively high pricetag the ride was reaching--it simply needed to open. However, now that they know how to get the ride working correctly, they could build the ride much faster and cheaper. In fact, the technology was so difficult that they actually built one centrifuge on site first, tested it, worked out all the kinks, and then finally started building the other three centrifuges, which is one reason this took so long to build and cost so much. Now, they can devote that money they will save in cloning to developing a version with a better story, better visuals, and more immersive theming (and hopefully reintegrate that into the Epcot version in another 8 years or so).
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead
    Minor detail...
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Minion

Speaking of raising attendance... the Triple-X sequel gained attendance its opening weekend too, but a recent poll showed that 53% of those who saw it hated it. And those are the people who saw the ads and got interested enough to see it.

Yes. Epcot attendance rose in 2004. Back to about 1 Million shy of where it was before 9/11. And it was the first E ticket opened in the park since Test Track, five years before. So naturally it would increase park attendance. But it wasn't the kind of multi-million surge Indiana Jones experienced.

The question remains, will an attraction from a go-on-it-once tourist park translate well for a much more locals-supported park like we have in Anaheim? Do we need another clone? Is it the kind of attraction the average park guest will like? Will they consider it repeatable?

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

I htink if were an interactive ride, if there were multiple experiences, it could work. Kind of like Horizons, where you actually have a say in the outcome. But I have to agree with ModHatter, the useless button was a turn-off. Make that button-push have some signifigance, and you'll be cooking with gas!

• Banned User

The only way the ride could be good is if they took the story from "Mission To Mars" put it together with this technology and then made the ride much more interactive. I want different video sequences depending on the crews action. Then maybe it would make a good tommorowland ride. But with Star Tours soon to get upgraded...I think 2 simulator rides would be a bit much.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    But with Star Tours soon to get upgraded...I think 2 simulator rides would be a bit much.
    NAW ! ! !

Besides -- If it really were, STAR TOURS 2.0 could work at DCA too.

• Official Mice Chat person

If they built Mission Space we would be going to Space 3 times in a visit to Tomorrowland. Space mountain, Mission Space, and star tours. They need something even MORE futuristic that is more than a simulator. Why do you think Space mountain and Indiana Jones are so popular? They are a "real" experience. They need something like that in the place of innoventions.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    NAW ! ! !

Besides -- If it really were, STAR TOURS 2.0 could work at DCA too.
    HELL NO

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    If they built Mission Space we would be going to Space 3 times in a visit to Tomorrowland. Space mountain, Mission Space, and star tours. They need something even MORE futuristic that is more than a simulator. Why do you think Space mountain and Indiana Jones are so popular? They are a "real" experience. They need something like that in the place of innoventions.
    Exactly... looking at the history of Disney parks, people seem to dislike sitting in one place and watching something as compared to getting in a vehicle, moving around, even if it's at a slow speed, and experiencing it. People can barely follow directions like keeping your hands and arms inside the vehicle, they really don't seem to want to be told "do not deviate from having your line of sight exactly perindicular to the back of your chair."

And the future is about so much more than space. Part of the reason it's so sad to see Nemo flopping into the Sub Lagoon. That could be a real butt-kicking good futuristic adventure given the right treatment. Even the original is futuristic, especially to a young kid who doesn't know that mermaids and sea serpents don't really exist. (Or do they? Maybe we'll really discover some in the FUTURE...)

Tomorrowland is just a bit too Spaced out. It needs some variety.

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    To sum up my wishlist... With an unlimited budget and free reign, I'd tear up the entire MBC/Autopia/Sub area and reImagineer it into my multi-level SeaCastle model city concept, including new subs, Aquatopia, Hunny Hunt-style "smart freeway" Autopia, and an indoor Jetsons-style Flying Saucers darkride/bumper car combo.

wait, how does a SeaCastle idea relate to Tomorrow? maybe if they were to reroute the map lines to make it fantasyland, that MIGHT work. and before it gets mentioned, i don't think an idea like a new land (ie perposed discoveryland or somethin of the like) would work, simply because of where you would have to be entering the rides from: either from a FL side or a TL side, with this new land wedged in between, just wouldnt work, you would enter autopia from tomorrowland, aquatopia from FL, subs from TL, indoor saucer ride from somewhere, space just doesnt allow for this. its almost like Michigan, separated by the great lakes. you would have to go around the sub lagoon on that narrow strip of land to get to the other part of the land, i think it would just confuse guests and would actually hurt themeing. which leaves the sea castle idea (which i do like very much, all those new/redesigned rides would be a welcome site, esp. if done really well), it leaves the idea to either being a part of TL or FL, but again, i just dont think that would work theme wise. if you could clarify, i'd appriciate it.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    There are several reasons why the buttons don't really do anything. First, with 10 pods on a single centrifuge, it is impossible to have one pod experiencing certain forces while another experiences something else. Secondly, many guests do not speak English and simply don't understand that they are supposed to be pushing a button, and probably wouldn't appreciate dying in a massive explosion, nor would anyone else in their pod with them, who actually pushes their buttons.

Also, space is the ultimate frontier, so it makes sense for most of Tomorrowland to be set in it. Exploration of any places on earth is finite, while space is not. Infinite possibilities. The only thing similarly infinite that I can think of is time travel, which could easily be paired with space travel on a ride, so as to not feel too much like Back to the Future at Universal. I've always thought Tomorrowland was themed as a future city on some distant planet, which is why Astro Orbiters, Buzz, Star Tours, and Space Mountain all involve space travel. To paraphrase an Epcot favorite, Earth is a spaceship, itself.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast