View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer Island Re-Do to Pirates Theme?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arrrr! A good idea it be.

96 32.65%
  • Arrrr! A bad idea it be.

114 38.78%
  • Arrrr! I don't know. We'll see.

84 28.57%
  • Arrrr! I say other and I will be explainin' below...

17 5.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Re: TS Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea? (merged threads)

Oh yeah, and whoever brought up Mr. Skullhead "good idea, bad idea"... you rock!

• Comin' at ya!

I personally think it's a great idea. I mean, i think its sad that part of disneyland would have to go, but it's old. Like the article says, no kids under 30 will have a CLUE who huck fin and tom sawyer are. It's really outdated and the kids didn't even get who the people were dressed up as. This pirate thing would be so awesome, and it would make me wanna go over there again ( i haven't been over there in 5 years due to a horrible experience).

I think it should be pirate themed but not Pirates of the caribbean, i would be fine with that, but i am not okay with pirates of the caribbean taking over because of the fad that is happeneing

• Banned User

If this pirate theming is temporary. Id be cool with it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Re: Tom Sawyer Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by A Change In Me View Post
    Yeah, but I really would doubt Walt would have wanted another Pirate-type thing in his park - he was always original and creative.
    Walt was smart enought to realize you need a mix of things. Like someone has mentioned Davy Crockett and Zorro were big around the time the park was built. However, not everything in Frontierland was Davy and Zorro. People like a mix. Personally, I think making yet another pirate based thing is a mistake that will have to be expensively redone at some point. They've already made a second pirate store with the same merchandise as the first, put pirates wandering around New Orleans Square, put a pirate band in the middle of NOS, etc... People tire of things quickly when you ram it down their throats and there's no other thing to see in a particular area. So, IMO, it's a mistake.
    Mike

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Tom Sawyer Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by agent321 View Post
    Hey it worked for Paris....

"Adventure Isle - "Come and explore secret caves, tunnels, waterfalls and bridges". This is great, but keep younger kids in sight at all times. More children get lost here than in any other part of the park! (Of course, if they've been driving you crazy all day......)."

The area of the park does need a refurb like many of you have stated. I saw as long as they do it well (which i think they will) then im all for it! Walt wanted Disneyland to always be relevant. If this is what they have to do to make new memories for all the young children then I say let it be. I know ill always have those memoris of tom sawyer Island from when i was a kid, lets give these kids theres!

Oh by the way, as long as they have a place to sell those big pickles im down.
    But where would Fantasmic! go?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• The one, the only...

Personally I am open to see improvements to the Island. While Pirates would not have been my first choice, I think that as long as it pulls more money to improve the TSI experience, it is a good thing. I know that we Disneyland freaks hate to see change, but I believe we were pleasantly surprised with the POTC renovation. I believe we will also like what that island will be like after the improvements.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoofBall View Post
    Having no faith is a lot worse.
    Even when that faith has been severely tarnished time and again?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    But Pirates are not all tropicalesque. You can make Pirates fit into the deep south as well. Even we had Pirates off the Californian Coast as well. In fact a pirate founded Monterey.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    Ahhhh but the Paddle Wheels do travel up and down the Mississippi River which I do believe winds up in New Orleans.
    But what incentive is there for this to be properly themed? As it currently stands the proper theming does not relate in any way, shape or form to the Pirates of the Caribbean films trilogy. The films are the cash cow and that is the tie that the bean counters want to see. It could be done, but Jack Sparrow would have to have long since been dead but at some point in his life he traveled to what is "today" Louisiana. There could be this whole expanded folk lore about the island and piracy with Jack Sparrow being one of many. They could even make it so that Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn also visited the island. The very basic idea of a pirate island is very good, but the good cannot push a film or merchandise.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I just hope this does not come true because people arnt getting the bid picture yet.
    This will effect DL in a bad way by taking away theme and adding Crowds to the island (too many people) Just look at Monsters Inc it had like a 2 hour line at its peak now think about a POTC island??? It would have massive line up to 2-3 hours and were are they all going to stand???

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Even when that faith has been severely tarnished time and again?

But what incentive is there for this to be properly themed? As it currently stands the proper theming does not relate in any way, shape or form to the Pirates of the Caribbean films trilogy. The films are the cash cow and that is the tie that the bean counters want to see. It could be done, but Jack Sparrow would have to have long since been dead but at some point in his life he traveled to what is "today" Louisiana. There could be this whole expanded folk lore about the island and piracy with Jack Sparrow being one of many. They could even make it so that Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn also visited the island. The very basic idea of a pirate island is very good, but the good cannot push a film or merchandise.
    As I stated earlier that I'm not up for a POTC rethemeing of TSI but a General pirate theming. POTC needs to just stay where it is. I wouldn't want any Jack Sparrow on the island. But a general Pirate theming would allow kids to be swashbucklers and have a life of adventure (At least for their short stay on the island) I'm really more up for a "Goonies" feel for the entire thing.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

I think this is stupid... I think that it is time for a redo on TSI I don't think I have been there once in the last 20 times to disneyland, if redone in a pirates I would be way more tempted to visit... In addition how can you all miss how well it fit in with the alamo of Frontierland, the NOS is alot like Tatula and haunted mansion has the same kind of feel, PLUS if your saying how will it all fit in with the rest... maybe the whole park should be redone to make you all happy... so everything fits together... I mean who wants a castle in the middle of a main street....that just makes no since... I feel like you all just fear change...it can't stay the same for always folks... there's no more room to build anything new, and that has been Disney's biggest problem that they need to keep it fresh otherwise part attendance goes down, think of it like this, its something you can tell your kids one day about how it used to be... Disney's always changing, remember when they had a sub ride, I heard they might be doing something with it...weird no ones complaining about that... ok well I think I have alienated my self enough for one rant...I hope there is another sane person out there...

-RYAN

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Bad idea! Don't mess with a Disneyland original iconic attraction!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Absolutely a worthy idea! TSI was nice back in the day, but it is without question falling apart.

I mean, what's left? The fort is rotted beyond repair. Sections that used to be open are closed. Cascade Peak was destroyed. There's really nothing there anymore, and that's because what was there put in nearly 50 years of service and took a ton of abuse since it was the most hands-on area of Disneyland.

I say, go nuts. I'd even shut down Fantasmic and bring FantIllusion (Tokyo version) on Main Street to succeed both Fantasmic and the Electrical Parade at the same time.

I think it is good that the Tom Sawyer theming is going away. Im not too sure about the Pirates theme though. I would personally love it but Im pretty sure the masses would get sick of it within the next few years. Then its in the same place it was before. Im all for new theming but I think more brainstorming is in order.

• I love my family!

Just wondering how much time we all spend on the island? I know I don't go over there, for what? There is nothing over there.

I love the past but, this area really has lost it's purpose. Once they closed the fort, the island died.

I would rather they reopen the fort but, I also know that fort has been there a long time and I would guess it's not in the greatest shape.

Anyway, can you imagine what kind of an upgrade they could make to Fantasmic whill there at it?

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast