View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer Island Re-Do to Pirates Theme?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arrrr! A good idea it be.

96 32.65%
  • Arrrr! A bad idea it be.

114 38.78%
  • Arrrr! I don't know. We'll see.

84 28.57%
  • Arrrr! I say other and I will be explainin' below...

17 5.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Grumpy old man

Re: Tom Sawyer Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I'm not sure of my opinion right now.

To me, TSI doesn't have much emotional meaning, I've probably been there once or twice as a kid and have no real connection to any of it, no memories, nothing.

But a pirates overlay, as much as I love pirates, just doesn't feel right. As many others said it would really throw off a lot of the surronding themeing. Why would a riverboat be circling a tropical pirate island? Why is this tropical pirate island surronded by this thing called "Rivers of America", etc.

I think I'd rather see some TLC given to the island, revamp the play areas, take the interaction ideas from the pirates idea and incorporate it in a way that will befit the era. You can stray away from the actual idea of Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, and Mark Twain while style keeping it in the time period and interesting to even those young ones who don't know who Mark Twain and his characters are.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm glad they're talking about doing SOMETHING with TSI, but I'm just unsure about the Pirates theme. I'm reserving judgement until I hear how they plan to mesh this with existing areas, and how much detail they put into the change. The analogies to the Animation Academy make me nervous, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

I think that they should leave it the way it is, as far as the theming of TSI goes. I am also in the camp that believes that the whole “pirates” deal is hot now but will fade from popularity quickly. They should spend the budget on rehabilitating and enhancing the current TSI and the surrounding area and its sights [(cough) burning cabin]. They could spend the remaining money on fixing up Mickey’s Toontown, which has seemingly become the less-loved “land” of the park and whose popularity has suffered.
    I have always enjoyed the whole lower keyed atmosphere of the entire Rivers of America area in general. From the less crowded and more relaxing conditions in the far-flung areas of the Hungry Bear to the relaxed sightseeing cruises around TSI aboard the Mark Twain or the Columbia. Even the most interactive and physical ride in the park (no, not Buzz) the canoes, circles TSI.
    It would be an interesting discussion to have to see what everybody feels should be DL’s priorities when allotting budget for future projects. I guess the simple question is if you were in charge of spending DL’s future attractions budget, what would you do?
    I know that this had been mentioned somewhere before, but I guess that I would like to see the Fantasyland and Big Thunder Ranch area put to better use with a new e-ticket type of attraction. Also mentioned somewhere before, using the old motorboat grotto for a new attraction would be a good thing.
    Also, DCA needs a new attraction or 5…
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Since "New Orleans" (as in Square) fronts the Gulf of Mexico, how about making it "Mexico Island"? You could have the flag of Mexico flying, themed restaurants, all kinds of things can be done with that theme!
    Create a Mayan or Aztec pyramid to replace the Fort? Ok but wouldn't that be stretching Adventureland out too far?

I don't know if I like the idea, especially if the canoes and the paddlewheeler get cut.

"Hey, let's play Cowboys and Pirates!" ? I don't know...

Fantasyland is just fine and should stay. I meant to say the Fantasyland Theater.
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaimobar View Post
    Create a Mayan or Aztec pyramid to replace the Fort? Ok but wouldn't that be stretching Adventureland out too far?

I don't know if I like the idea, especially if the canoes and the paddlewheeler get cut.

"Hey, let's play Cowboys and Pirates!" ? I don't know...
    Mexicoland could have an alamo/conquistador theme that works well with pirates!

Hey it worked for Paris....

"Adventure Isle - "Come and explore secret caves, tunnels, waterfalls and bridges". This is great, but keep younger kids in sight at all times. More children get lost here than in any other part of the park! (Of course, if they've been driving you crazy all day......)."

The area of the park does need a refurb like many of you have stated. I saw as long as they do it well (which i think they will) then im all for it! Walt wanted Disneyland to always be relevant. If this is what they have to do to make new memories for all the young children then I say let it be. I know ill always have those memoris of tom sawyer Island from when i was a kid, lets give these kids theres!

Oh by the way, as long as they have a place to sell those big pickles im down.

I'm very old-school and hate to see yet another Walt-style thing go away.

But, to my surprise, I'm not necessarily against this. If the island wasn't already there, and you asked most people "should we put in a Tom Sawyer area or a Pirates area," surely most people would choose the latter. Frankly, Pirates are cool. (And I sure wouldn't say no to a new E-ticket attraction tied into all this, although that seems unlikely.) Most of what TSI has going for it is Walt nostagia value -- which I wish the company wouldn't downplay, but they do. Once you nuke it, it's gone forever, so I sure wish they wouldn't do it so hastily, and with decisions being made by people who may have inadequate sensitivity to that history. Yes there will be sadness over this, and with that comes a responsibility.

What I wish for -- and they seem to have a lot of trouble with this -- is, when they replace something, whatever is new should be better than what was there before. I bet the new island will accomplish that; it's not too tough to top TSI, honestly.

But:

--they are doing it way too fast, with too little careful planning and presumably with not enough budget.

--artists can do so much better work with a little more time.

--this disproportionate level of interest of public interest in Pirates is a little too pushy, and I think it is not sustainable indefinitely. Not that it will ever be "wrong" to have such a pirate area, but I wish they'd think twice before bulldozing based on a trend, which will pass, and show a little planning restraint.

--if it is popular, it sure looks like guest transport will be woefully inadequate, which means they may have to mess up a whole chunk of the riverfront to deal with that; and the new things they are building may in fact require compliance with codes regarding evacuation procedures and ADA requirements, etc.

• decorating

horrible!

Just bring back Tom Sawyer and Davy Crockett

• Here to change the world

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I suspect that the caves will still be there (with even more treasure), and that the whole thing will end up with a Bayou look and feel that will mesh just fine with New Orleans Square and Frontierland.
    I think a Bayou feel for the island would work really well. It would tie in with New Orleans Square and be able to keep a pirate theme. That's the only way I could see it working as well.

• Zero Blockout Dates

I say other and explain below.

I'm tired of "Pirates" and we still have another installment of the movie AND another refurbish of the ride including Orlando Bloom,and Keira Knightley AAs in the ride.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

No more pirates. It's enough and it's gotten to the point I've actually lost interest in the third installment.

Wanna refurbish TSI? How about returning it to the shape it was in the day it opened to the public including the fort. It's tie in is the Mark Twain , the rafts and the Keel boats. Some great "Boy-Centric" stuff could be engineered around TSI for boys like Disney already overdoes Princess' for little girlsin Fantasyland.

If ANY area in the Disneyland Park itself is truely not meeting it's full potential, after Tomorrowland, it's got to be TSI. But Pirates? Please, no more.

Just MHO

IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Why is everything PIRATES?
    Because Pirates have made Disney over a Billion dollars in the past few years.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Why??? I want them to change Toontown into a Famliy Area before they change the island into Pirates land.

I mentioned having the front of the island the same, but having it transition into pirates, with near the back of the island being home to...
    Skull rock. And perhaps a pirate ship playground.
    Mix peter pan, Pirate lore, a little POTC, and you've got something that almost looks original.

• It's all about Theme!

Enough with the PIRATES!!! now I feet better!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast