View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer Island Re-Do to Pirates Theme?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arrrr! A good idea it be.

96 32.65%
  • Arrrr! A bad idea it be.

114 38.78%
  • Arrrr! I don't know. We'll see.

84 28.57%
  • Arrrr! I say other and I will be explainin' below...

17 5.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

• Disneyland Paris Fan

Thumbs up Re: TS Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea? (merged threads)

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Well, Frontierland is not restricted to imagery related to the Old West and American expansionism. The New World, itself, was a frontier. So, when the colonial port city of New Orleans was established in the 1700's, the location was determined by both the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico. .....
    Thanx for the explanation . My knowledge of the American history and the history of the original Disneyland and POTC defenitely runs short here! But you can learn something new everyday.

The location defenitley makes more sense with this explanation. But since my visits to DLP are far more numerous than my visits to FL and/or WDW, I will still start comparing with the DLP version in mind. The other versions or not as clear in my head as the DLP-version. So al little mistake is easily made!

I think that it is a personal preference with version you like. Me personally, I still like the DLP-version best, both location and story. But we are going a little off-topic here!

Re: TS Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea? (merged threads)

Interestingly, Imagineering has been trying over the years to use Pirates of the Caribbean as a transition between Adventureland and Frontierland since the attraction lies near the boundary separating each realm from the other. For example, tropical plants were installed on one side of the River Belle Terrace in order to give that restaurant a colonial look on its back side while Tarzan's Treehouse incorporates nautical imagery from the salvaged shipwreck in its story. Additionally, the former Swiss Family Treehouse recalled the pirates that appear in the Swiss Family Robinson novel and film.

I think the basic problem with a Pirates overlay on Tom Sawyer's Island is its departure from Disneyland's brilliant and original idea to recreate American history for each guest, allowing him or her to rediscover how early American pioneers bravely conquered nature and hostile Indian tribes and settled a nation.

How thrilling to experience the wildlife, the friendly natives, the burning cabins and mysterious caves and new landscapes that our forefathers and mothers experienced.

That's as relevant now (if not more urgently necessary) than it was in 1955.

Nothing against Pirates of the Caribbean, the attraction or the movie trilogy, but it has nothing to do with U.S. history -- the American ideal is an important part of Disneyland's foundation -- and it strikes me as a flimsy focal point for New Orleans Square, Frontierland and Critter Country, undermining the Columbia, the Mark Twain, the beautiful surrounding scenery and figures, Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes, and the rafts.

Please think twice about destroying Tom Sawyer's Island, a rare and wonderful place to reenact great literature and history and have a blast.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Sorry to dig this thread up, and sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to make sure all of you got to see this link earlier today by zzyzx before it was moved:

http://www.o-meon.com/pages/news%26f..._10-10-06.html

Among those interviewed for this article, none had any reservations about making over Tom Sawyer’s Island or any other Disneyland attraction. They all subscribe to the philosophy that Disneyland is not a museum, and that even Walt Disney wouldn’t think twice about replacing an underperforming attraction with something “new and exciting.” Even so, almost all of them had serious concerns about the possible impact of some of the proposed changes to the island playground.

Tom Sawyer’s Island is surrounded by what Disney calls “The Rivers of America,” a wide waterway bordered by Frontierland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country, all firmly rooted within the continental United States. “What they’re proposing is bringing the Caribbean up out of the basement,” another Disney insider said.

The banks on either side of The Rivers of America are literally
    rooted in Midwestern foliage as opposed to the tropical Caribbean.
    He was referring to the fact that the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction is actually outside the Disneyland Railroad berm, the traditional boundary of the park. To get from New Orleans Square to the Caribbean, guests depart a Louisiana bayou dock in flat boats that sail off the edge of a series of waterfalls, which lowers them some twenty feet below grade, before they drift out of the park and into Disney Caribbean waters. At the end of the ride, they float back under the berm and up another waterfall, which returns them to New Orleans Square.

“It isn’t just Tom Sawyer’s Island that would be affected by the change in theme and story,” another Imagineer said. “You’ve got all that Americana, like the Indian village, on the opposite bank of the river. What’s to become of that?”

Then there’s the matter of the two ships that sail The Rivers of America on a daily basis. A change in theme from Midwest American riverbank to Caribbean island won’t be that startling as the sailing ship Columbia circles the island; however, as one Imagineer put it, “What are guests going to think of the Mark Twain (a stern-wheel riverboat) gliding around a tropical island?”
    It turns out that most imagineers agree that using pirates as a theme for TSI was a pretty lame idea. Here's hoping that the proposed changes by that rocket scientist from TDA never see the light of day.

TSI DOES need to be fixed, and there are MANY things that the imagineers could do to make it an amazing place to visit, but turning it into the Island of Tortuga a la Jack Sparrow was just WRONG on so many levels.

As you walk toward Critter Country from the Haunted Mansion, imagine staring at palm trees off to your right...

Lunch at the Hungry Bear would never be the same. As it now stands, the Mark Twain, Canoes, and even the DUCKS all work with the theme. If the Island were to go toward a Caribbean theme, everything would be shot to heck...

From BTMRR all the way across to Fowler's Inn..

...EVERYTHING works! Stick ONE palm tree in the mix, and you'll shoot the theming all to heck.

Hopefully, the backlash created by Al's update will be enough to keep this idea in the trash for a long, long time.

Thanks for the pictures, it is good to get a good visual of the island and the surrounding areas!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Everyone keeps talking about palm trees, but nobody, NOBODY thinks of the woody bayou-esque setting at the start of the ride that also appears in the film.

Really, people. They want this done in a little over a half-year. There's no way they can tear out and relandscape the whole island.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, it is good to get a good visual of the island and the surrounding areas!
    Thanks! Sorry about the quality. I took those with my palm pilot as I wasn't planning to take pictures, but as I was walking that way, I thought what the heck...

(Heh. I said "PALM" Pilot...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymania
    Everyone keeps talking about palm trees, but nobody, NOBODY thinks of the woody bayou-esque setting at the start of the ride that also appears in the film.

Really, people. They want this done in a little over a half-year. There's no way they can tear out and relandscape the whole island.
    Considering that the idea seems to have been shot down for the time being, I don't think we'll have to worry about something happening in terms of the Pirate idea for quite awhile. I DO hope they'll fix up the Island asap though.

The reason we're all talking about Palm trees is that if you call it "Pirate Island" and you want this island to be located anywhere in the Caribbean, you're NOT talking about pines, birches, elms, etc. You're talking about vegitation that you would find in the CARIBBEAN, i.e. palm trees. The bayou is simply the launching point to the ride, and what you would find in Louisianna.

Now...if they were to call it "Swamp Island", you might be on to something.

As for the film, I STILL don't understand WHERE they were supposed to be when they visited whatsherface....the voodoo chick. Do they want us to believe that swamp is part of a Caribbean island? Or did they sail up to North America to find her?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I love Pirates as much as the next guy but the theming of it just wouldn't work. And to me, Tom Sawyer's Island IS frontierland. If you take it away, all you have left is Big Thunder and a shooting gallery.

Tom Sawyer's Island represents the lost innocence (and mischief) of americana. The age where exploration and outdoors was required living. An age where man and nature existed together. Translating that to a theme where stealing and raping is the way of life... probably not something the Disney company should be pushing.

I took a visit to Tom Sawyer's Island this past weekend just to see how it looked and man, it brought back some nice memories. Memories that weren't exactly 'exicting' per se, but it was just really nice to get out and walk around; away from the typical disneyland crowd. On TSI, people are there and they ain't going anywhere else unless they're on a raft. So generally, people are way more polite and HAPPY.

Living in Southern California, there aren't a lot of places like Tom Sawyer's Island unless you want to take a drive to the real thing, so I really hope the talks of Pirate Island were exactly that: talks.

Here's some photos I snapped from this past weekend for those who don't have the luxury of running on over...

It was a really beautiful day to hit the island too.

In my youth, I probably didn't appreciate the lush greens as I do now...

Suspension Bridges are fun!

The Fort needs to be refurbished. That's where the second set of restrooms were and it was fun to run around.

Two attractions in one photo... and a third extinct.

What I like about Disney is all in the details...

The only available restrooms... not very many!

I like waterfalls..

And my favorite shot of the day: the majestic Mark Twain.

And that's all folks!

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324