View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer Island Re-Do to Pirates Theme?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arrrr! A good idea it be.

96 32.65%
  • Arrrr! A bad idea it be.

114 38.78%
  • Arrrr! I don't know. We'll see.

84 28.57%
  • Arrrr! I say other and I will be explainin' below...

17 5.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Tom Sawyer Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I'm on the side of I don't care if they change these things. I'm more concerned with how this theme fits into the area surrounding it.
    Good Point. If it doesn't 'fit' - will they have to revamp EVERYTHING?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

And you thought "Year of a million churros" was bad. This is easily the stupidest thought to ever make it's way out of a TDA executive's brain.
    It ranks way up there with the new "Disney Park" merchandising theme.

• n/a

I'd like to hear:

"Hi, have you heard of The Year of a Million Dreams? Well you have been selected to receive a free gift. Here is your copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain"
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Minion

ORDDU: After we first heard of this proposal, my sisters and took to stirring feverishly over a boiling cauldron and have all agreed that it would be a bad idea to do away with Tom Sawyer Island completely. Perhaps a reworking of the section that faces New Orleans Square would work--

ORWEN: --but, then, what do you do with the back side of the Island and all the American Indians who are back along the Rivers of America's shores? I mean, it wouldn't make sense to try and re-theme that section, since it would clash with Critter Country too much.

ORDDU: Plus you have Big Thunder Mountain as a backdrop to consider and if they go too far with some of these proposals, they may just end up destroying the entire feel of that section of Disneyland.

ORGOCH: Sometime's goomers gits an idea an' then runs too far with it. I say spruce up the Island by buildin' a new fort an' leavin' poor Tom 'n Huck alone. Them dang pirates already got 'nuff attention as it is.

ORWEN: And who's to say they won't eventually come out with a block buster movie about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn some day? If they do, they'll wish they hadn't gone ahead and re-themed the island at all!

ORDDU: Often change is good--but you have to be careful with WHAT you change and just how MUCH you change it. Otherwise you can end up with a disaster. The problem with current management at Disney is that they don't always look before they leap. They see a successful franchise and go way over-board in trying to market it. One good example is Winnie the Pooh. Popular as the character is, the location of its attraction in Frontierland is horribly misplaced and it isn't popular enough to warrent it's existence.

ORWEN: If they really want to have more Pirate attractions, maybe they could find a way to expand the berm outside Adventureland. But invading Indian and cowboy territory just doesn't appeal to us.

My feeling is that there is no doubt that TSI is in serious need of work/retheming. With that being said, I do not belive that a pirates play area is the right way to go. For the pirates theme to work, the entire west-side of the park would need to change. The current feel of the Old American West that Frontierland, Critter Country and even New Orleans Square have would be ruined. It is my opinion that such a play area would be better fit in Adventureland and TSI should be updated with a completely unique theme.

• Shablagoo!

I like it. (satire to follow) In fact I think they should retheme the park to Priateland!

Main Street, Totuga!

Roving pirates and wenches greet you in this recreation of Tortuga. Here you can ride the main street wagons from one end of the street to the other. And be sure to stop by the Main Steet Opera House for "Great Moments with Blackbeard"

Adventureland:

Visit the Enchanted Tiki Room where the parrots of salty old pirates entertain with sea chanty. Take a ride on the Jungle Cruise to search for pirate gold. Join Indiana Jones as he searches the an old temple for pirate gold. Explore Gibb's Treehouse.

New Orleans Square:

Visit Captain Jack Sparrow on Pirates of the Carribbean. Visit the 999 Ghosts of Pirated that have gone to their reward on the Haunted Mansion.

Critter Country:

Join B'rer Rabbit as he tries to avoid B'rer Davy Jones on SPlash MOuntain.
    Ride the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Jack SParrow and see these 2 beloved characters as they search for gold, the gold of Honey that is.

Fronteirland.

Help Davy Crockett fight off the invading Pirates on the Mark Twain. Ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and see the remains of a burned down old west town that did not give in to the pirates.

Fantasyland:

Take a spin on Captain Jacks Carousel. Join Elizabeth Swann on the Elizabeth Swann's Scary Adventures. Will Turner and Pinocchio greet you on Pinnochio and Will's Daring Journey as the 2 beloved characters try to become real boys and escape partners in crime Davy Jones and Monstro. Ride Peter Pan's Flight and see Peter Pan try to get away from Captain Hook and his new friend Captain Barbossa. See Elizabeth Swann's adventures in Wonderland. Go for a zany adventure on Pintel and Ragetti's wild ride. Find out what would happens when a crew of Pirates go mountain climbing in the Alps on the Matterhorn. Finally join the children of the world in song on "its a pirate world".

Toontown:

Visit Pirate Mickey and his Pirate Toon friends in Towntown. Enjoy the insanity of Captain Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, now with 57% more pirates.

Tomorrowland:

Join the cast of Finding Nemo as they avoid the clutches of Davy Jones on the Submarine Voyage. Who's a better fighter: Jedi or Pirates? Find out in the new stage show at Tomorrowland Terrace: Jedi's of the Carribean. Watch as pirates try to figure out 21st century technology in Innoventions. Ride Space Pirate Mountain. Join Buzz Lightyear as he investigates reports of Pirates on the Moon on Buzz Lightyear's Pirateblasters.

"We're pirates on the moon
    we're looking for dubloons
    but we can't find none,
    so its not much fun
    so we sing this little tune."

• Unhelpful User

Al was completely right. Of course diehard fans are going to hate the idea, just as they did the Pirates transition earlier this year (which turned out fine, by all accounts).

I haven't been to Tom Sawyer's Island in years, so personally I welcome the change. The only worries I have are about them making the island too busy, or too sparse (Al mentioned that it may be too green for a desert island) but I have faith in WDI so I'm not sweating it.

• e komo mai

Thank you to everyone who voted so far and have participated in this discussion. You guys rock. Keep it coming. This is a terrific discussion.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Love your Avatar GC. Reminds me of Disneys "King of the Leprachauns."

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Of course diehard fans are going to hate the idea, just as they did the Pirates transition earlier this year (which turned out fine, by all accounts).
    I don't think these are necissarily the same groups of people. I was always in favor of and excited about the changes in POTC (admittedly not so much the Bloom/Knightly additions), but I'm pretty iffy about the TSI changes. I just don't think the people who don't like the TSI changes are necissarily the same ones who opposed the POTC changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I will hate the possible changes if they are only aimed at two year olds and don't provide any entertainment for the older audiences.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I don't know how exactly I feel about the changes yet, I'll reserve judgement until I see them. TSI does defintely need some TLC and I LOVED TSI as a kid, I do have sentimental attachment to it and of course the Walt Nostalgia plays in the effect here. My boys enjoy playing over there also, but they can take it or leave it. I just hope the theming meshes and also that they it's not turned into one big video game. One of the best things of TSI is the ability to play, explore and burn off energy! Which with two boys, is always a good thing If they are able to keep the "kid powered fun" aspect of it AND keep within the boundaries of theming I'm all for it. But if they plan to turn it into an outdoor innoventations, : bad show

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Hooterville, USA

I say, make it into "Gangsta Land".

It could be fun for the whole family.

Take out your neighbor with an AK47, or rob the Mark Twain while it's docking.

Yeah, that's the E ticket for me.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If Im not wrong the islands part of frontierland right So this would mean they would be taking some of frontierland area and making it part of New Orleans? Thats a first.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Well right now...TSI is boring and dull. I just want them to make some changes to make people want to go there. To me, honestly, it just looks like part of the back drop, trees everywhere. You can't do much there. So either change it but continue the theme or change it all together.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast