Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Thumbs down Taking corporate synergy too far?

    POTC! Pixar! Too many sucessful movies being made into attractions! Do you think this Rivers of America rumor/plan is another example of the growing problem of corporate synergy too far? Before walt came there was no Cinderela 2 and no other sequels. Now succesful movies are getting out of control in both theaters and parks. The idea is nice but the fact is it obstructs all the elements of Frontierland and CC. It does not blend like it does now with NOS.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    239

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    I totally get what you're feeling, but...

    Disneyland was built on synergy and marketing. Otherwise it wouldn't exist. This is well-documented so I'm not going to recap it.

    All artists have to figure out a balance that will bring in money to allow their work to exist; I'm not saying that's good, but at least in this country that's the reality. The trick is trying to keep the cash concerns from corrupting your original vision and intent, which is a constant balancing act.

    People who independently make art for a living spend more than half their time on business and marketing; a minority of the time is spent actually being an artist.

    Take a look sometime at the company's marketing strategies from the past; I was surprised at what I didn't remember them doing. It's just that over time we forget about all that, and only remember the parts of Disney that we like. It will be just the same with the marketing of today, it's utterly forgettable, which is just fine.

  3. #3

    • Hopper's Mortal Enemy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    973

    Cool Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    And a few decades ago Davy Crockett and Zorro were everywhere. Walt pretty much invented the idea. Of course, one is free to not like it; I personally dislike all the sponsorship and marketing that has also been around since the beginning. But it's certainly nothing new.

    Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!


    You've read it; you can't unread it!

  4. #4

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,363

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Call me when they propose "Piratin' Space Mountain."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  5. #5

    • Namaste and Good Luck
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    At a baring of 3.25
    Posts
    160

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    In my Business of Broadcasting class, the teacher said that it takes one network/production company to take a risk on a project (film, TV show) to start a new trend. When Toy Story came out and was a huge success, it showed production companies that Computer Generated movies can pull in big money. After that was realized by more than just Disney, almost everyone started to do CG projects. Producers see where people are trending (what they're making popular, what they're buying) then they will go towards the money. It's all about the money. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt another attraction movie...or movie to attraction. It's where the money is right now. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

    My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores


  6. #6

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    POTC! Pixar! Too many sucessful movies being made into attractions! Do you think this Rivers of America rumor/plan is another example of the growing problem of corporate synergy too far? Before walt came there was no Cinderela 2 and no other sequels. Now succesful movies are getting out of control in both theaters and parks. The idea is nice but the fact is it obstructs all the elements of Frontierland and CC. It does not blend like it does now with NOS.
    Like I said before, it really doesn't obstruct anything. The connections the proposed "pirate" theme has with frontierland is through its spanish roots. It has connections with Critter Country because pirates went through southern states like Louisiana (New Orleans/French Quarters). So the connections are still there.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 10-04-2006 at 09:49 AM.

  7. #7

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt another attraction movie...or movie to attraction. It's where the money is right now. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!
    They are with Jungle Cruise...

    It will fall flat...

    Pirates was a trend that people wanted to follow... not making movies off attractions...

    Follow the money and you will be a lemming jumping off a cliff...
    Check out my other blog:

  8. #8

    • Just this guy......
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,529

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Walt did put his movies and characters into the park all the time...... HOWEVER, he also made many, many orginal creations HM and PotC to just name a few. The problem that the current managment is make is not also doing orginal attractions.

  9. #9

    • now on the mainland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    386

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    Walt did put his movies and characters into the park all the time...... HOWEVER, he also made many, many orginal creations HM and PotC to just name a few. The problem that the current managment is make is not also doing orginal attractions.
    you took the words right out my mouth, ni_tech. There's nothing original being created at the parks anymore. I don't remember who specifically said it, but I once heard someone say, "Whenever a society or institution only looks inward, it stagnates." Perfect example of what's going on within DL.

  10. #10

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    you took the words right out my mouth, ni_tech. There's nothing original being created at the parks anymore. I don't remember who specifically said it, but I once heard someone say, "Whenever a society or institution only looks inward, it stagnates." Perfect example of what's going on within DL.
    Feudalism .

  11. #11

    • Colorado Bound?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    309

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Feudalism .
    P.P.F.U.F* forever!

    A place for every person
    And every person in their place
    Fudalism makes us strong!

    *People's Progressive Fudalism United Front
    -AmandasDad

  12. #12

    • Vegetarian Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    While the corporate crime-fighter within me totally gets what you are saying, these changes are a necessary reality.

    Some may even argue that the whole concept of a Disney 'theme park' is taking corporate synergy too far. After all, here is a place filled to the brim with rides based on movies, movies based on rides and characters, props and general trappings all designed to make you believe you have stepped out of reality and into a literal Disneyland (or a Disney World, depending on which coast you are on).

    Now while the sequel issue that you raise is an interesting one, and probably better served in an off-topic discussion, it is indicative of the direction the company has been heading. However, we must remember that Disney IS a company and that means a business entity. It is there to make money for its shareholders. That means, it has to look good on the bottom line. How do you do this? Expand upon your most successful properties.

    Now, my chief concern is that some of these expansions will ultimately dilute the brand. Indeed, I think that 5 Disney resorts around the world is probably too much of a good thing. However, with a few exceptions, all of these sequels and attractions have been of a fairly high quality, and as long as that is the case, then Walt's dream is not being trampled on. Walt was indeed a visionary that saw well beyond his time, but even he could not predict the rise of so many competing forms of entertainment. In this day and age, for a business to make money, they really have to concentrate on those things that make them money. This is ANOTHER reason that Disneyland will never be completed: the changing realities of popular taste.

    After all, if 'Walt's original' Tomorrowland had remained, it would look pretty shoddy today (ok, don't say that it does, because that is a whole other 50 threads worth right there). All I'm saying is that like Tomorrowland, the vision of the future constantly changes, and the park has to keep up with that. Without change we wouldn't have Indiana Jones in Adventureland. I'm sure some people screamed bloody murder when that made its way into a Disney park, but it fits so perfectly it is hard to argue against it now.

    I suggest we all use the scientific method of Waiting & Seeing.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks


  13. #13

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Like I said before, it really doesn't obstruct anything. The connections the proposed "pirate" theme has with frontierland is through its spanish roots. It has connections with Critter Country because pirates went through southern states like Louisiana (New Orleans/French Quarters). So the connections are still there.
    However the time zone is realitively separate!

    Although Disneyland should always be changing we shouldn't loose everything to modernization. Losing tom saywer amongst others pretty much says off with the old.
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 10-04-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  14. #14

    • Vegetarian Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    However the time zone is realitively separate!

    Although Disneyland should always be changing we shouldn't loose everything to modernization. Losing tom saywer amongst others pretty much says off with the old.
    True, but tastes change.

    In 1955, there was an Indian Village where Critter Country is today. That had become Bear Country in 1972. We've got things like Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh there, both of which are incredibly popular. If the Internet had been around in 1972, no doubt they would be lamenting the loss of a 'Walt original', but as time went by, the area established its own identity.

    Now, I am Mr. Nostalgia when it comes to Disneyland. I do really hate to see old things go. But I also love new technologies and Imagineering, so I also get excited when I see something new forthcoming. Losing Tom Sawyer may be saying "bye bye" to the past, but it is also saying "hello" to something new. In a way, this is less offensive than sticking in a Star Wars thing or Indiana Jones attraction into Disneyland, as the proposed new attraction is based on a film that is in turn based on a Disneyland attraction. (What did someone say about pop eating itself?)

    The website Yesterland.com shows us that change is unavoidable at the theme parks. If change hadn't occured, this year's Gumball Rally would have been a lot shorter. Nobody would argue that the Flying Saucers should have been kept simply because they were made during 'Walt's time'. If Walt's original attractions are a legitimate constraint, then we wouldn't be a position to visit theme parks in Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong.

    Embrace change, brethren! Yes it means losing a small piece of the past, but it also means embracing the imagination of today and tomorrow! Surely that is closer to Walt's dream than clinging on to the past?
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks


  15. #15

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: Taking corporate synergy too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post

    Embrace change, brethren! Yes it means losing a small piece of the past, but it also means embracing the imagination of today and tomorrow! Surely that is closer to Walt's dream than clinging on to the past?
    I understand your point but I have got to say ! Sorry!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] What the DLR needs – more “synergy!”
    By animagusurreal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 12:37 PM
  2. Frontierland needs Synergy...
    By Pirate Lover 68 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 08:09 AM
  3. I think this synergy thing is going too far
    By irlfan in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 12:13 PM
  4. Synergy at General Hospital
    By WDW1974 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 04:30 PM
  5. A Full On Resort???? To much Corporate Synergy again??
    By Walt Jr. in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 11:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •