Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Barker Bird and the long-term future of the Tiki Room...

Now that a lot of the shrubs have been cleared away, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room is much more conspicuous as one enters Adventureland. Combining this with nostalgia for the 50th Anniversary and several months of refurbishment, the crowds are probably their largest since the 1980s.

My fear is that the newfound popularity of the Tiki Room will wane after the 50th celebration is over. Then what? If attendance is to drop to unacceptable levels, would bringing back the barker bird help bring more people to the attraction? If not, what else might work? I always fear that the Tiki Room will go by the way of the Country Bear Jamboree, an attraction I did not think would ever leave the park. It did prove that nothing is truly sacred in the park (save Pirates, HM and a few select classics). Perhaps it was just a product of the Pressler/Harris era, but I still don't feel easy that our precious Tiki birds will remain untouched in the future. Thoughts?

they wouldn't bring the Barker bird back it causes too many traffic issues

the entrance is VERY noticable now (as opposed to being easy to ignore like it was before)

if attendance drops again I think it speaks more of the effectiveness of this attraction then anything else

I wouldn't mind them swapping out songs as long as it keeps in the same general feel of the attraction

more modern tropical chants would be fine I believe Tokyo has done this successfully (as opposed to something like Under New Management which is just bleh)

I wouldn't mind if eventualy it was given several random songlists so that you got a different experience every time

for now it's fine

some sources do say the Tikiroom will be reconsidered for a new attraction space several years in the future but that while management has interest in this WDI really doesn't and hasn't really drafted up any blue sky things for this area yet

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    My fear is that the newfound popularity of the Tiki Room will wane after the 50th celebration is over. Then what? If attendance is to drop to unacceptable levels, would bringing back the barker bird help bring more people to the attraction?
    Hey, it couldn't hurt - but they will probably have to record a new track for him. For starters, the Barker Bird never mentions Dole Pineapple...

Whatever you do, don't even THINK about making an "Under New Management" type overlay for the show - trying to make it 'topical humor' would be the kiss of death, unless they plan to redo the soundtrack & script every 3 or 4 years when it gets stale again.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    I know that Disneyland should never become a museum, but there's so much important Disneyland history connected to the original Tiki Room. I hope they never remove it. Updating it while keeping the same tone (NOT like WDW...) could work.

Not everything has to be a movie tie-in!!!!!!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Newbie.

I'm sorta feeling it should stay with the original program, but I'm open-minded to accept new advancements. Maybe they could run original Tiki during the day, and then RockIt Tiki at night. j/k
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• behind the curtain

I can see it now: The RockIt Tiki Room complete with disco balls and laser beams while the birds sing Van Halen

• Official Mice Chat person

The Tiki room wont leave any time soon. So much more people are attending it!

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDreamer
    I can see it now: The RockIt Tiki Room complete with disco balls and laser beams while the birds sing Van Halen

That's might funny
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Rainicorn.

I'm thinking there would be a riot if the Tiki room is gone. If my 19 year old guy friends can enjoy it... I think that's a testament to its awesomeness.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Minion

I tell you what... it may have been too late for our Country
    Bears, but if you really want to save tiki room, brush off your keyboard and start writing the screenplay for Tiki Room: Curse of Tangaroa.
    Last edited by ModHatter; 05-07-2005 at 11:00 AM.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    I tell you what... it may have been too late for our Country
    Bears, but if you really want to save tiki room, brush off your keyboard and start writing the screenplay for Tiki Roon: Curse of Tangaroa.

• Newbie.

Tom Cruse is........Jose the Parrot

• Banned User

I heard Tiki Room is getting redone with a CARS overlay

• Animatronic

Skeletons save every attraction. Look at Pirates or the new Jungle Cruise update. I say enhance the "gods must be angry" bit to include the room breaking apart and skeletons dropping from the ceiling and bursting through the windows. They might be able to work a water cannon into it too!

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    You guys are hilarious!!!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast