Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Re: Suits keep taking away the little things, perhaps I should not renew PAP (A rant)

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Remember this is about an AP 'boycott' not about going to DL fewer times.
    (premise of the original post).

Yes. if you go fewer (or much fewer) times, then WDC will obviously be hurt financially. That's a "DL boycott".

Basically, it's WDC's financial advantage to have more general admission
    visitors when the DLR is full, but when it's not, then it's better to have
    APs than fewer visitors overall.
    Exactly. It's the ratio of total capacity to potential and how much is spent per guest that equals profit growth to Disney.

Re: Suits keep taking away the little things, perhaps I should not renew PAP (A rant)

I paid $229 for my annual pass. I also spend approximately $20 to $30 on food and another $10 on a pin each time I go (I’m being conservative with my approximations). I go about twice a month.
    If Disney stopped selling their APs, I’d go once a year. Maybe twice. They’re losing about $840 ($35 x 24) a year from me. Without an AP… I’d be spending $120 a year, at most. [/QUOTE]
    This may be true for you but for most people I would think that if they were to only visit Disneyland once a year that they would save up and make it a big trip with more than $25 spent on food and a single pin purchased. You may not spend $840. on food and extras on your once a year trip but most people who go once a year go to the Blue Bayou at $50.+ per person and buy several pins, a shirt, maybe a figurine or a watch, etc. So for the average person they might lose a few hundred, but I am guessing that would be made up by the many new APs they would sell because the Park is so pleasant and uncrowded. When I took a break from going many, many times per year and went twice a year each of those trips was much more costly than my weekly visits had been. Just my opinion.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

So would you say that, as an AP holder, you should go MORE and spend less?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Exactly. It's the ratio of total capacity to potential and how much is spent per guest that equals profit growth to Disney.
    you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

ok maybe not, but it's the most sense made on this topic! leave it up to you frogberto! hehehe

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie View Post
    I paid $229 for my annual pass. I also spend approximately $20 to $30 on food and another $10 on a pin each time I go (I’m being conservative with my approximations). I go about twice a month.
    If Disney stopped selling their APs, I’d go once a year. Maybe twice. They’re losing about $840 ($35 x 24) a year from me. Without an AP… I’d be spending $120 a year, at most.
    This may be true for you but for most people I would think that if they were to only visit Disneyland once a year that they would save up and make it a big trip with more than $25 spent on food and a single pin purchased. You may not spend $840. on food and extras on your once a year trip but most people who go once a year go to the Blue Bayou at $50.+ per person and buy several pins, a shirt, maybe a figurine or a watch, etc. So for the average person they might lose a few hundred, but I am guessing that would be made up by the many new APs they would sell because the Park is so pleasant and uncrowded. When I took a break from going many, many times per year and went twice a year each of those trips was much more costly than my weekly visits had been. Just my opinion.

well that 1 person would spend the same amount on pins and stuff in that 1 year that the AP person would in several visits in that 1 year because of the opprtunity...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Personally I don't like to see things change too much but if they do, then I like to see it done with the Disney quality that everyone expects. However, I have never forgotten the arguments my brother and I used to get into when we were little. He hated going to Disneyland because he said that they never changed and that it bored him to death. Imagine if everyone else felt the same way. So as much as I hate to see change, I think it is necessary, for better or for worse.

• Can't we all get along?

I agree the park has to evolve and change with the times. The trouble is, it's hard to find execs who have the kind of vision Walt did. In my opinion, Walt was an artist first, who became an executive in order to turn his dreams into reality. Most executives these days went in to undergrad college knowing they were going for an MBA in order to turn a buck.

I'm glad that people like Lasseter are around who are motivated to keep the park a magical place. Without people like that, you definitely have just another theme park.

And I agree, the only way to vote is with your dollars.
    <a href=http://www.micechat.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9544&dateline=1159554839 target=_blank>http://www.micechat.com/forums/image...ine=1159554839</a>

• Rock Star Minion

As I wrote in another thread: change should be for the better. Not just for the bigger profit. Not just for the fad of the month.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I have to completely agree with DizneeProfitEar above me. I don't like all the corporate movie tie-ins. I think that there should be some new creativity bringing in something we haven't ever seen before anywhere. An original idea of some sort... there are plenty out there.

I also agree totally that the day they park stops updating and changing old things is the day Walt is really and truly dead. The fact that the Imagineers are continually tinkering and updating and adding and removing things that don't work proves that the spirit of Walt is still alive. That's what he did. If something didn't work, he nixed it and put in something new. Even if it was a favorite. Phantom Boats, the Hover things I can't remember the name of right now that were where Space Mt is now, and others.

That said, I don't agree with a pirate theme. There are so many other themes that could be worked into TSI to update it and allow for new things without changing the overall theme of the lands it fits into. That would be, IMHO, the ideal direction to go. Find something new to go there that doesn't require rethemeing a large chunk of the park.

The magic doesn't diminish with the removal of old rides or lands. Magic diminishes when we don't demand quality and story over all else. The true magic of Disneyland (and all of the parks really) is the fact that nothing is spared in the attention to detail. Every little nuance of lighting, texture, sound and even smell is carefully thought out and lovingly executed. That is the magic. The love that goes into it. If new rides and attractions and shows are brought to life with that same love, then the magic flows still. Change at DL is not to be feared. It should be expected and welcomed even. What you should fear is the failure of the process that brings change to DL. A lack of love.
    Very well said!!
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Great Moments with Jack Sparrow perhaps? Anyone?
    Ok Dusty..that post just made me a little ill!!
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Banned User

Sorry, but I don't think Tarzan's Treehouse is bad show. Few people know who the Swiss Family Robinson is any more, despite the DVD release, and those who do know don't care.
    Tarzan has been a part of our popular culture for 75 years and continues to be so because of the Disney film. The redo of the treehouse is great, and makes it more relevant to those who walk through it.
    The new and changing effects are also more interesting to those under the age of 20!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeProfitEar View Post
    On one hand I agree with you. Leave the classics alone. Tom Sawyer's Island is magical and has fun memories.

On the other hand, I disagree with you. I'm a Disney traditionalist too, but, this change to the Island is very welcome and not bad, rushed planning on the part of Burbank. Although Al Lutz' column certainly makes it clear that there is a scramble to make these changes.

It's been quoted many times before, but it needs repeating. Walt Disney never wanted Disneyland to become stagnant. It should always be in a state of change and growing. Under the Eisner administration, that state of change was usually to something worse. I think it's different now and the much touted, John Lasseter, is certainly doing his best to make the place what it once was and put in effect changes that will restore the magic. The restored Tomorrowland Terrace is a shining example of that today. Reread Al's column and look how much money was secured to make changes for the better to both parks. Those are big numbers. In Eisner's day, they'd be lucky to get a $2 budget.
    I'm sure Walt Disney wouldn't ever put two similar type of attractions in the same park.

Each attraction he created was different. Besides Dumbo/Casey Junior and Alice/Tea Cups, each ride at DL is very unique from each other.

Why not keep it that way instead of changing it because Pirates is the 'thing' right now. It won't be in 5 years, if not less.

And since they have all this money secured for the Island, why can't Disney actually use the Imagineers they have to create something totally new and exciting - not just Pirates...again.

And a Caribbean Island has palm trees on it, so, if it goes through, I am assuming they will have some palm trees. And palm trees would look really weird next to the Mark Twain and RoA.

The Island is perfect right now - in a sense. They just need to open back up the fort, install some really nice and creative playgrounds, create larger caves, add in nice and clean bathrooms, and have a nice eatery of some sort. That's all.

Personally myself, I don't know why Disney is wasting so much money on the Island. Not many go to it and there are many other areas in the park - Tomorrowland anyone? - that need more help than TSI. Oh, and what about DCA?

I hate coporate business sometimes...

Love your thread by the way...

You made excellent points.
    Last edited by A Change In Me; 10-05-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled "two"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by GetBruno View Post
    I agree the park has to evolve and change with the times. The trouble is, it's hard to find execs who have the kind of vision Walt did. In my opinion, Walt was an artist first, who became an executive in order to turn his dreams into reality. Most executives these days went in to undergrad college knowing they were going for an MBA in order to turn a buck.

I'm glad that people like Lasseter are around who are motivated to keep the park a magical place. Without people like that, you definitely have just another theme park.

I think the main difference between Walt Disney and the latest round of executives is that Walt truly enjoyed the park, the rides, and everything else about it. Why else would he have put an apartment for himself inside the park? I think it is very difficult to find executives who have this vision, if that's what you want to call it; I think of this as more of a passion. Just think: Would Michael Eisner or Robert Iger ever move into an apartment in the middle of Disneyland, or even want to?

This isn't saying that today's executives do not share some parts of this vison or passion, but this passion has to be there in order for any changes to be made successfully in this particular theme park.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
    Sorry, but I don't think Tarzan's Treehouse is bad show. Few people know who the Swiss Family Robinson is any more, despite the DVD release, and those who do know don't care.
    Tarzan has been a part of our popular culture for 75 years and continues to be so because of the Disney film. The redo of the treehouse is great, and makes it more relevant to those who walk through it.
    The new and changing effects are also more interesting to those under the age of 20!
    Sad.

My guess is, you never saw the Swiss Family Treehouse. If you did, then you certainly didn't see a great deal-- your imagination wasn't engaged.

I am glad I got to experience DL when it was great. I'm sorry for those who get to experience it after your generation gets through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GetBruno View Post
    I do not think we are asking too much in wishing to make sure Disney does not forget about presenting a "good show", even though it seems that most people think this thread is just about TSI it is NOT. I cannot seem to really drive that point home but it is my own fault. Either way we are saying to upper management in the ThemePark division stop just looking at things from a MBA perspective and start looking at things from a Artistic perspective, as Walt proved the two can work together to make magic happen as we all know from Disney Pictures to DisneyLand park etc. Forget about TSI, do what you are going to do to evolve the park but do not forget about the roots, the magic, the exploration the fun.

"Remember dreams come true", I would like to believe it is more than just a commercial tagline.

I really resonate with what DisneyIpresume just stated in his post! Reread it!
    I think the main difference between Walt Disney and the latest round of executives is that Walt truly enjoyed the park, the rides, and everything else about it. Why else would he have put an apartment for himself inside the park? I think it is very difficult to find executives who have this vision, if that's what you want to call it; I think of this as more of a passion. Just think: Would Michael Eisner or Robert Iger ever move into an apartment in the middle of Disneyland, or even want to?

This isn't saying that today's executives do not share some parts of this vison or passion, but this passion has to be there in order for any changes to be made successfully in this particular theme park.
    Well said!
    Last edited by CAspace; 10-05-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast