Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Re: Suits keep taking away the little things, perhaps I should not renew PAP (A rant)

Today a real life Imagineer has posted his thoughts about the current culture at Disney, the example now given is regarding Tom Sawyers Island but this type of mindset has affected the whole organization. Please read this blog it really makes tons of sense and is written by people who actually are in the know.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

posted by Jiminy Cricket @ 10:44 AM
    Yes it's true. Jay Rasulo and the marketing minions at Disney Corporate are pushing hard for a rushed tear-down of Tom Sawyer's Island to make room for a Jack Sparrow themed Pirate Playground in May of 2007.

Those within the Orwellian confines of W.D.I. now tasked with shape-shifting this classic Walt inspired island of adventure and brave enough to talk about it generally don't agree with their new mandate. Driven hard by the movie's financial success, this is a decision that is both knee-jerk and wrong.

The argument that is being used is that the Island is no longer being attended, so W.D.I. must make it "relevant".

Just when did attendance drop? Was it when the fort shut and locked its entrance gate? When the bridges were temporarily run down and closed? When the allure of a burning cabin was shut off? When water traffic backed off with the loss of the Keel Boats and slimmed down Canoes? When the designated "smoking area" for that region was moved to the load/unload of the rafts?

So now what? Collective wisdom at Imagineering is that the disease has been mis-diagnosed. But no one in upper management seems to care about the legacy of Disneyland anymore. It's old fashioned, and long-term apparently does not appeal to Wallstreet.

Okay, so Disneyland is not a museum. Still, some things are just fun!

But only when they are working the way they had been designed to.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Suits keep taking away the little things, perhaps I should not renew PAP (A rant)

Yes, but that blog about the Island is just the opinion of one imagineers.

Reread his words this is the general feeling shared by many people in Imagineering, minus the suit and tie MBA's.

So now what? Collective wisdom at Imagineering is that the disease has been mis-diagnosed. But no one in upper management seems to care about the legacy of Disneyland anymore. It's old fashioned, and long-term apparently does not appeal to Wallstreet.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by A Change In Me View Post
    I'm sure Walt Disney wouldn't ever put two similar type of attractions in the same park.

How do you channel Walt anyway? So many on this board seem to be able to state his wishes, desires, plans, and ideas - I feel left out.
    Minnietoo

• Banned User

They gave back Tomorrowland Terrace...they take away Tom Sawyer's Island.

Fair trade?

Cool Re: Suits keep taking away the little things, perhaps I should not renew PAP (A rant)

You know, the traditionalist in me agrees wholeheartedly with you.......I hate to see "old Disney" change; it just seems to lose the magic. However, the rest of me is really excited to see what TDA and the Imagineers can make of the island to re-energize and excite a tired and (I am sorry to say) shabby attraction.
    I remember hating when the Indian village was taken away as a young child but I remember being very happy with the changes that were made. I can't wait to see what happens!

While bringing back tomorrowland terrace was a greatly appreciated (it should have never left in the first place and would not have if WDI creatives had original say in the matter) It is not a fair trade! No way. Anyways if they want to update TSI to something else, that is something I can live with (after a period of sadness) But take your time and allow the creatives to design the project within budget and time frame let it be designed with a good show in mind properly and not dictated from high above the cubicles within the glass rooms filled with MBA's and nice suits. Above all else whatever is being designed MUST be Better than what was originally there, otherwise spend the $25 million on something worthwhile.

• Genteel Amphibian

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I'm wish you man. I dislike all this priate crap going on in the resort. Its just a fad and when this fad is gone, Disney will be sorry!
    I agree and Hope Disney won't be foolish enough to invest a great deal in this fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
    You know, the traditionalist in me agrees wholeheartedly with you.......I hate to see "old Disney" change; it just seems to lose the magic. However, the rest of me is really excited to see what TDA and the Imagineers can make of the island to re-energize and excite a tired and (I am sorry to say) shabby attraction.
    I remember hating when the Indian village was taken away as a young child but I remember being very happy with the changes that were made. I can't wait to see what happens!
    I appreciate your optimism. Unfortunately the track record of removing and replacing attractions is not that great at least within the last 10 years.

Bear country jamboree, Swiss family Robinson, great moments with Lincoln.
    Etc.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567