Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Dark Ride

Year Of A Million Dreams...a good idea after all?

I know there are a bunch of threads on this, but this is a different take compared to a lot of them.

I was with most people on here thinking this was a stupid idea, poorly planned, and done with far too little time to prepare. The whole 'legally random' concept just sounded complicated and goofy.

Sunday night, after technical park closing (during the 'extra hour' on Main Street between 11 and 12) my opinion changed.

We were taking a break before making the trek out to the tram, letting the mass horde leave ahead of us. I left my wife in Main Street Square on a bench while I walked around the square taking pictures of all the Halloween decorations.

Now, a note about my wife. If I leave her alone for ten seconds, she will be talking to a stranger by the time I return. She's just like that. People tend to talk to her, and she just kind of makes people happy. I wouldn't be surprised if she's talked to some of you unaware, because Disneyland is the place she tends to talk to the most people.

Anyway, sure enough, she'd struck up a conversation with a couple on the opposite bench regarding the Disney discount outlet and how they could find some of the park merchandise for less on E-Bay.

Turns out they were down on vacation from Canada, and this was their last day in Disneyland. They had been bemoaning the fact that they didn't have much money to buy souvenirs with.

We bid them adieu and a cast member walks up. He wasn't in the Dream Team gear, he was wearing khakis. He introduced himself and explained that they were doing a new promotion, etc. He handed us one of the 'Pixiedust Pin Packs' (Disney's name, he didn't call it that) with one Tinkerbell pin for us, and one to give away. We collect pins, so that was very cool.

Of course, it was closing and we had no one around to give it to...but the Canadians hadn't made it to the exit! This lead to a rather amusing event: me shouting in Main Street Square 'Canadian people! Canadian people, come back, we have something for you!'

They did, and we gave them the pin. I told them that now they had something for their girl (they had a 5yo daughter, out COLD in a stroller) to keep for years to remember her first trip to Disneyland. Did I mention my wife had found out she loved Tinkerbell most of all?

After returning home, I read online that these Pixiedust Pin Packs are designed for CMs to give to people they see displaying Disney Magic. In short, doing something that fits with Disney values in the park. My wife was doing that by chatting up a stranger and giving them tips to get the souvenirs they wanted.

Okay, this is a good idea. I'm sorry, that was an excellent experience. We made their entire trip. I literally said 'here, from the United States to you, welcome'. They got a little verklempt. So did we. It -was- a moment of Disney magic. Their little girl would wake up to find a souvenir of her favorite character had just magically appeared in her lap. -That- is Disney Magic.

This element of the promotion has endless potential for good. If CM's actually do give them to people who are, effectively, being nice to someone else, that's a very good thing. They are then instructed (on the card, no less) to give the pin to another guest who is displaying Disney Magic (aka being a good person). Random acts of kindness, actually -encouraged and rewarded- in Disneyland! I can't see any way that's a bad thing. Will it encourage people to be on their best behavior? Maybe not, but at least it could reward those of us who -don't- cause trouble, who -aren't- rude, 'entitled' idiots. It then encourages us to interact with strangers, effectively 'spreading the love', and thus encouraging everyone within earshot to, in the words of The Great Ones, 'be excellent to each other'.

The 'party on, dudes' part is sure to follow.

Considering this aspect of the promotion, what think ye, Micechatters?
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Oh my Goodness!

Re: Year Of A Million Dreams...a good idea after all?

Oh my gosh! I love this! That is so awesome! An opertunity for guests to create some magic themselves! Neat idea.
    I always thought the Million Dreams was a fun idea - I have never been negitive about it. I see little things more magical sometimes then the big things (though I wouldn't argue if they wanted to give me a big thing). I think this pin thing is totally awesome. Good on Disney for that one!

• Neep meep beep

This is why I'm much, much more positive about this promotion than others are. No, this will not attract people to visit the park that wouldn't otherwise visit, but while you're there, these "random acts of kindness" will enhance your experience in Disneyland, DCA, and Downtown Disney. Bravo for this promotion - and I think one by one, winners will change all of your minds (maybe)!

• That Guy

Great story, thank you!!!

Anything that encourages people to be good to each other, I am all for.

Thanks!!

• Main Gypsy

That was such an excellent story! How awesome that you gave away that pin to them.
    I bet that family will remember you both forever when they look back on their trip to Disneyland!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I think it's great. There's nothing quite like encouraging guests to make each other's visits great. Some of the best times I've had a Disneyland were the direct result of another Disney fan, usually a passholder, sharing some not widely known information with me.

• That Guy

Plus, now this means War with Canada has been averted!!!!

Yay!!! Hooray!!!!!

• Disneyland or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark View Post
    Okay, this is a good idea. I'm sorry, that was an excellent experience. We made their entire trip. I literally said 'here, from the United States to you, welcome'. They got a little verklempt. So did we. It -was- a moment of Disney magic. Their little girl would wake up to find a souvenir of her favorite character had just magically appeared in her lap. -That- is Disney Magic.
    Oh my... I'm tired and cranky today (hey, I'm getting over being sick, and I'm back at work! ) and it still made ME a little verklempt. That's so awesome, and kudos to your wife.

I love to do the same thing, trying (and sometimes miserably failing ) to strike up a conversation with strangers... why not? You're in the Happiest Place on Earth, why not make an effort to be friendly? Some of the best "moments" at DLR have been when we've chatted with someone in line with us (like an Aussie family we chatted with in line a few months ago, or several times we've had quite the lively party going on in the disabled POTC line ), or at the table next to us (Bengal BBQ is great for this, since you're already packed close together anyways! ). Sometimes people have given us great tips, or vice versa; sometimes we've given them FP we couldn't use, or they gave us game tokens (for the Arcade by SM), but mostly it was just a shared moment. I would LOVE to have some little "thank you" to give people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark View Post
    This element of the promotion has endless potential for good. If CM's actually do give them to people who are, effectively, being nice to someone else, that's a very good thing. They are then instructed (on the card, no less) to give the pin to another guest who is displaying Disney Magic (aka being a good person). Random acts of kindness, actually -encouraged and rewarded- in Disneyland! I can't see any way that's a bad thing. Will it encourage people to be on their best behavior? Maybe not, but at least it could reward those of us who -don't- cause trouble, who -aren't- rude, 'entitled' idiots. It then encourages us to interact with strangers, effectively 'spreading the love', and thus encouraging everyone within earshot to, in the words of The Great Ones, 'be excellent to each other'.
    Amen, and I hope it does continue. I would love to see the "nice people" be rewarded, in a world where it seems so often like the rude or bully people win.
    "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer

This is a good idea.

I like the concept of giving guests gifts that they can, in turn, give to strangers in a paying-it-forward, random-acts-of-kindness kind of way.

• I love Mulholland Madness

Thanks for sharing that is such a great story. I love that Disney is encouraging a "pay it forward" experience with this campaign. I can't wait to people watch to see their reactions as CMs award them prizes and experiences, big or small. For guests that aren't Disney-crazy like Micechatters, they may have no idea that the dream experiences are going on. Very cool!
    Be Nice or Leave

That's a nice story. Makes me love the idea. So much that I'm regretting it's only a "year" as it's this type of magic that Disney is synonymous with. This should really be a permanent tradition at the park, at least the small prizes.

The pixie dust pins are a great idea. It is a great way to give more guests a way to feel personally involved in the year of a million dreams.

On a side note... It makes me want to cry when I see people talking about buying these pins on Ebay. That defeats the entire purpose of the pin. Can't you just do something nice to earn it?

• is on the rocks

Mr. Dark - thank you for sharing such a sweet story. It truly is the little things, that can make the biggest impresson on people sometimes.
    She did it!

• Banned User

CM's are what makes Disneyland...Magical.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Great story Mr. Dark. Very considerate of you, your wife, and the CM.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast