Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Comin' at ya!

POTC ride update (about the new improvements)

Does anyone really find that the barbossa anamatronic actually looks real? When i went on the ride for the first time, i was blown away by how bad looked. He doesn't even have a white beard, and it looked like it was just glued on in a hurry.

The jacks, however, looked excellent i think. Very lifelike.

• I'm not really here

Re: POTC ride update (about the new improvements)

Maybe Mr. Rush didn't pay his "actually looks like me" animatronic fee.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

They had to pay extra for that?

Probably the other way 'round -- Disney didn't want to pay Mr. Rush for the use of his likeness (I'm sure Mr. Depp commanded a pretty penny). I'm sure this sort of thing is also why the Indiana Jones animatronic neither looks nor sounds like Harrison Ford.

• Comin' at ya!

I thought the Indiana Jones looks Like Indiana Jones, but it was 1995. Anyways, i found that barbossa horrible and not even close to like him. The voice was his though, so I don't know. And they actually did hire Harrison Ford to come and record dialogue for the ride.

I don't think that Barbossa looks at all like Rush. I was happy that it was his voice though. He is far enough away that you don't get a great look at him so maybe they didn't think is was worth paying the money for his true likness.

Since we are on the topic of POTC changes. When I was at DL in July and August the Davey Jones waterfall animation was very crisp and clear. When I went in September is seemed like the fog was thinner or the animation was out of focus. Is this just in my head??
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    They had to pay extra for that?
    Yes, Disney does have to pay.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

Actually, they had Harrison Ford record the dialog but somehow Disney pissed Ford off at the last minute and he wouldn't go thru with the recording. Disney had to hire someone else to do Indiana's voice. That is why it neither looks or sounds like Ford.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Minion

I think the last Jack AA looks looks like butt...

s
    Last edited by CursedPirate79; 10-06-2006 at 12:17 AM.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    I'm sure this sort of thing is also why the Indiana Jones animatronic neither looks nor sounds like Harrison Ford.
    I think this is for the better. If I AA looked like Harrison Ford, it would distract me. "look at that, the robot looks like Harrison Ford!"
    Rather than "Look at that Indiana Jones in hanging form a vine!" It makes the story much stronger to me.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Miss Marvel

I don't know. I think most of this stuff is rumors. I don't think they would have put in a Barbossa figure if they didn't have the rights. I mean, why is it necessary? They could have easily put in a first mate or something. Or leave it the way it was. Without Barbossa, it really wouldn't have lost anything.

And regarding Indiana Jones, I don't buy the likeness stuff. It looks like Harrison to me. Does anyone have proof of any of this?

I just think that Disney did a bad job with Barbossa, and a mediocre one with Indy. Think about it. Disney does really good animatronics when they don't have to replicate someone in real life. Captain Jack is almost a living cartoon. His face is mostly covered in hair. They pretty much just had to replicate the upper half of his face. Barbossa, and ESPECIALLY Indy, have most of their face exposed. Replicating the bone features of the actors probably isn't the easiest thing in the world.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    ...And regarding Indiana Jones, I don't buy the likeness stuff. It looks like Harrison to me. Does anyone have proof of any of this?....
    I think you raise a good point. I guess you can say that I've always been, well skeptical of the claims that Harrison Ford wouldn't allow his likeness to be used. I think Exhibit A against this theory is one of the ride safety films, that shows a picture of HARRISON FORD as Indiana Jones (in glasses, hair slicked to the side). This wouldn't have been allowed if Harrison Ford had prohibited his image in the attraction. Plus, Harrison Ford has always said that this was one of his favorite roles -- I'm just not sure there's evidence for the claim that he's denied use here.

Regarding your bone structure difficulties in creating realistic AAs comment... well, wax museums all over the world have no problem in making incredibly lifelike reconstructions of real actors -- I'm sure with the right resources, materials, and talents, that wouldn't be a problem here either (and I personally feel that the first two Jack Sparrows look a lot like the real actor).

• Comin' at ya!

I think Jack looked great the first two times (and i mean scary lifelike) but the last jack looked odd. Maybe because we were really up close as apposed to the others? I dunno.

I think the Indiana Jones looks realistic, and i'm pretty sure it's his voice. Lemme look for the article this was in.

• Comin' at ya!

OK i found the article, whether or not it IS true, this is it:

Harrison Ford had originally agreed to voice the three Indy characters but would only do it on the condition that they not ask him to appear or do any recordings for the half-time Super Bowl show that year the ride opened, which did have a blatant promo for the new attraction. Well, as fate would have it, he was scheduled for a Saturday recording session, the studio was rented and ready to go. However, a low level idiot in marketing over at the studio, not aware of the agreement, sent a script ot Mr. Ford of the Super Bowl show instead of the attraction script, the Wednesday before the scheduled recording. Incensed that the one simple request was not kept, he canceled just one day before on Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast