• Closed Account

Original DRR Train Cars--New Blog

This may be too far removed from Disney for some, but I thought I'd post it here for those who are interested.

As many of you may know, Disneyland originally had two trains. One of those trains was made up of wooden coaches, and was yellow. Those cars were traded off in order to (eventually) get the Ward Kimball locomotive. The last car of the train was kept, and transformed into the Lilly Belle.

Anyway, the original coaches--four of them--still exist, and are in California. They are privately owned, but the owner is gracious enough to operate them for the public once or twice a year. Riding them is truly stepping into Disney history.

The coaches are being restored, and now, you can follow the progress (as well as read other interesting tidbits), here on the Pacific Coast Railroad Blog. The first picture shows two of the Disney coaches.

http://pcrailroad.blogspot.com/

I know many of you wonder when the railroad opens to the public, and this should provide a handy reference. The blog deals with the whole railroad, and not just the Disney coaches, but it's interesting nonetheless. Enjoy.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Re: Original DRR Train Cars--New Blog

Thanks for the info Steve. When I worked for the DLRR, there were still a couple of the old yellow coaches in the back of the roundhouse. I was excited to see them back there. I would love to go see them again.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Does anyone know the address or directions to the Pacific Coast Railroad Co? I don't seem to see it on the link.

• Collision speed....FULL!

So do you think they might keep the Canary Yellow and Forest Green?

Not much to restore since they came in pretty good condition.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

I would hope they would keep them in their original colors.

When the Pacific Coast Railroad first received these four coaches their condition was more like "fair." Paint was peeling, roofs were shot, woodwork was warping some, and it was definitely evident they needed work. The cars are being worked on one at a time and one has gotten a new floor. The cars will remain canary yellow but the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad will be boarded over (yet still preserved underneath) to reflect the cars' current role on the Pacific Coast Railroad. The braking system will also be converted to automatic air instead of the straight air system used (and still is) at Disneyland. It's interesting because these various parts came from an 18" gauge railroad in Los Gatos (Bay Area).

The railroad is on private property in the San Luis Obispo area and not open to the public. They hold an amazing event in early May every year to support the San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum. I would highly recomend attending the event and supporting the museum's efforts to preserve American history. Track extension is in the works and current plans are to open as a full-out tourist operation in about two or three years, so the public will again have the chance to ride these pieces of Disneyland history. There is a lot of history at the ranch, such as the old Mission Asistencia and ranch adobe, and the railroad will play an important part in sharing this local history with the public.
    Last edited by BNeumayr; 10-06-2006 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Grammar

• Closed Account

Thanks for that update, BNeumayr. I'm glad that the original lettering will be preserved beneath new letterboards.

I also highly reccomend that you get out to the event in May. It's very inexpensive, but what you get is a wonderful family experience--steam trains, Disney history, live music, great food. What's not to like?

• back in Austin

It's interesting to click through on the link and see a train with two "Lily Belle" style cars in tow.

For those of you who are interested in more photos, check out this site...http://discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/70.html

Here is a cool video of the 2006 Roundup event:
    http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/image...dowsMedium.wmv
    That's my friend Ed Kelley firing the #2.

Hope you all enjoy.
    Last edited by BNeumayr; 10-06-2006 at 04:51 PM.

• Closed Account

With their peeling yellow paint and patched canvass roofs, these coach cars felt old in a way nothing at Disneyland feels old. The springy green seats (most covered with their original naugahyde) belonged to 1955 in a way that nothing at Disneyland belongs to 1955 anymore. As the train pulled through a patch of mustard plants in bloom, I could imagine what it was like to be on the Disneyland Railroad fifty years ago, moving from the Frontierland Station, through the weedy, undeveloped land behind the old horse stables.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Super saucy pixie!

Thanks for this! My list of Disney related blogs to visit is growing weekly it seems. This one looks fun!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Thank you both for the links and information!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...