Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Powerfull exchange between Ex Imagineer and Current Imagineer.

Well, getting back to the topic...

This is one of the reasons why I am really I have been calling for several years for Dick Cook to be removed as head of the Disney Movie Studio... He got there partly because his skill for synergising films marketing programs with the parks, which he did under Katz that impressed Eisner to promot him when Katz spontaniously combusted...

I have no faith in Dick Cook's ability to run a Movie Studio... He is not a movie guy, he is a theme park guy... It is obviouse from the trent to turn to theme park rides into movies... I guess you have to go with what you know...

But here is my gripe... There is NO REASON why the studio could not treat Mark Twain's novels with the same respect that they are currently treating CS Lewis novels... Other than the fact that Mr. Cook has no imagination...

So what do you do? Jay Rasselo decides that Pirates is more important to America and American Culture than the world Mark Twain.

I ask you...

Iger... Do yourself a favor... Replace Dick Cook with someone interested in making real honest to goodness films, rather than contracting films to be made off of Disney properties...

And remove Jay Rasselo who pritty much is killing off tallented executives by consolidating power and forwarding his own adjena of what Imagineering is without thinking clearly...
    Check out my other blog:

• Why do you keep talking?

uh oh, you might go on ignore too Oogie.

Personally I don't think that the conversation was all that "powerful." Times change as does annouocning Blue Sky projects. It just doesn't really happen anymore with the amount of people complaining, especially on the internet, when things don't go the way people want. I would be afraid at what would happen if something like Haunted Mansion had the situation brought into today's world. The amount of bitching and complaing would make Jesus' head spin!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    (does the Oogie Boogie happy dance)
    Last edited by OogieBoogie; 10-06-2006 at 12:22 PM.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    Good "product" and good "stories" are the same thing. TSI can be brought to life by spending the money on it to make it a good product again. Doing a ramshackle half-***'d job of adding palm trees, a character meet and greet a "pirate themed" playland (perhaps complete with water cannons?), and a very large pirate gift will not produce good product or stories. Just the same product and stories they are trying to push thoughout the rest of the park.

Rejuvenate the area, spend the money to make the fort cool again. bring back the tunnels and make them even better and scarier. Let the kids shoot guns, turn the entire ROA around the fort into some kind of interactive shooting gallery. Let kids shoot flaming arrows somehow. Make TSI an adventure again and that will be far better than a crappy, ill conceived pirate overlay.
    Maybe they could make the cool shooting gallery where your targets are pirates!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    You never seen Oogie in person have you... He's kinda hard to ignore...
    Check out my other blog:

Some of what's being discussed here reminds me of...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic View Post
    Maybe they could make the cool shooting gallery where your targets are pirates!
    But only if they are Dutch...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

You people are wasting your time on an internet message board. It is time to take this fight to Disney's doorsteps and let this be heard throughout the upper echelons of power in burbank. Write to the company! Write to John Lasseter! Email them! Speak to city hall at disneyland! speak to the managers!

• Disney Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    I agree with the ex-Imagineer. If it wasn't about money, a burger combo wouldn't cost $12. "So, let's just accept that fact and make it into a terrific attraction again."Amen.
    Go to any other So Cal theme park and pay between $15-$18. Disney's getting more expensive, but so is the rest of the world. It's called inflation....and believe me, Disney is lagging behind it's competitors in the race to clear guests wallets on this front.

My worry about the TSI reimangination is that Pirates is just a fad. How long will we be falling over ourselves to see Jack Sparrow or walking around covered in Jolly Rogers and Dreds. Being a Pirates fan, I know that these movies will not always hold the special place in my heart where they now reside. The films just dont seem that lasting. I would feel better if this was a plan that waited 5 or so years to make sure that Pirates was something enduring.

As a TSI fan, my pain is that it is 100% Walt. I know Walt wanted Disneyland to be a changing place, but saving TSI seems to be something we should do to honor him. An extensive rehab is totally needed, but not a reimagining. Kids will always love running around the caves and rocks, they may not always love Pirates. This decision just seems to be a rash, "OMG look at how much money Pirates made! Lets get some more! Hurry while they still love it!" I'm not saying it's all about money, but it's alot easier to change a 50-year old classic, when you have a money-making fad running through everything else.

Has anyone thought about what would happen to the Mark Twain and the Canoes? As they would not fit a Pirates theme....and TSI would be considered part of New Orleans Square rather than Frontierland.

• The Dark Ride

The problem that so many here seem to be missing is the public element. You missed it when it came to the NOS pirate changes, the POTC movie changes, and everything else that's happened since the POTC movie franchise took off.

The public CAN NOT get enough Pirates of the Caribbean. They can't. Look at the line for photos with Captain Jack. Compare them to lines for any of the princesses, the fab five, or any other face character. Right now, Captain Jack is the biggest draw at Disney.

Whether we hardcore Disney geeks agree with them or not, the general public, the unwashed masses who have no idea that POTC existed before Johnny Depp, WANT MORE PIRATES. Is there a jaded, corporate marketing scheme behind this to milk a property for all it's worth while it's still hot? Of course there is. But that is not mutually exclusive: it can also be something that the public actually want.

The Imagineers don't like this. Fair enough, I can understand why. What does an artist prefer: being given a large, blank canvas along with the time and money necessary to create whatever his imagination comes up with, or a framework of limitations that limits his mental sandbox dramatically? Of course, the artist wants freedom. The company -and- the public are demanding something else, however, and that something does run against their creative desires. I hate that, I don't like it, and I'm sure they don't either...but there it is.

Should the company ignore the public? Should the company ignore the obvious opportunity for 'synergy' that exists here? Can anyone actually say yes to those questions?

Sure, WDI could come up with something that people would love MORE than the pirates idea. Absolutely. But that's a maybe. While it's true that, when given a proper budget and schedule, WDI almost always hits it out of the park, we have to remember one ugly little truth: WDI does not always perform well. WDI made Innoventions. WDI made Rocket Rods. WDI made Superstar Limo. WDI made Golden Dreams. WDI made D-Land's Pooh ride.

There's no way the company can ignore what it's customers are saying by their actions -and- ignore the obvious monetary potential of this change. That said, as I said in another thread, we -don't- know what WDI will come up with here. I have faith in Lasseter and Rhodes and the other WDI creative geniuses, that they can make this work. They made the changes to POTC work despite our worst fears.

Have some faith, and remember: there are millions of Pirates fans around the world...and only a few thousand of us die-hard Disney geeks. They -will- please the masses when push comes to shove. They must.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• The Dark Ride

One last note, re: Pirates as a temporary fad.

You're absolutely right. And just like Tom Sawyer can be removed, so can Captain Jack, as Davy Crockett and Zorro were before them. Right now, it looks like Captain Jack is the next Indiana Jones, so it'll probably be years before he wears out his welcome. When that happens, do you really think they will leave the island empty and abandoned again?
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    You people are wasting your time on an internet message board. It is time to take this fight to Disney's doorsteps and let this be heard throughout the upper echelons of power in burbank. Write to the company! Write to John Lasseter! Email them! Speak to city hall at disneyland! speak to the managers!
    YOU don't think they are listening here?

Hah!

When something Miceage/Micechat gets placed in the LATimes...

You don't think they are listening?

Oh, yeah, they are listing...

You bet they are listening...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

they hang on our every word.. muhahahahahaha
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark View Post
    One last note, re: Pirates as a temporary fad.
    Actually it is not... It is a trend...

Why do I say this... I have been working Ren Faires for several years now... and I can tell you that Pirates have been a marketing trend for SEVERAL years...

The kindling was there...

You wanna know what set this a blaze

The key to this was getting Jonny Depp (flint) - Hollywood's most talented bad boy - into a pirate costume (steel)...

Poof... you have fire...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    they hang on our every word.. muhahahahahaha
    OK, they don't listen to Oogie....
    Check out my other blog:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast