Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

TV Special On Grand Californian To Be Repeated

Just a quick heads up that the TV series "Great Hotels" is repeating the episode featuring the Grand Californian. In my opinion, while the show's host is a wee bit perky, the show was pretty well done and is worth seeing either again or for the first time.

It's being repeated on the Travel Channel Sunday morning at 6:30 AM...that's the time I get it on my satellite but the time could be different on cable systems..."check local listings..."

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: TV Special On Grand Californian To Be Repeated

• e komo mai

Samantha Brown has the best job ever.

Did you guys know that the Grand Californian gives tours of the hotel every now and then? The tour is free and it takes you around the GC talking about its architecture and design. I talked to a CM in one of the gift stores about it. You should check it out. I haven't been on it, but I heard it's cool.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love Samantha Brown. She is my hero. She shows us all how we can travel alone, and have a blast.

I have seen the show she did about the Grand Californian Hotel, and I enjoyed it very much. My grandson wants to stay at that hotel. I am planning on taking Sean to Disneyland in June. I am opting for a stay at the Disneyland Hotel instead, since the future of that hotel is in question.

When I was at Disneyland in August, I passed through the Grand California Hotel several times. I visited the Hearthstone Lounge, Storyteller's restaurant, and relaxed in the lobby.

• Neep meep beep

Yes, I love me some Samantha Brown! I don't think she's too perky, but I'll look out for this episode. I hadn't known about this until your post. Thanks Barry!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
    Samantha Brown has the best job ever.

Did you guys know that the Grand Californian gives tours of the hotel every now and then? The tour is free and it takes you around the GC talking about its architecture and design. I talked to a CM in one of the gift stores about it. You should check it out. I haven't been on it, but I heard it's cool.
    I have been on this tour (I think it's actually given every day). It's about an hour long and worth every second. It goes into detail about the decor and building of the hotel. It really makes you appreciate how much thought, detail, and work went into this hotel. I highly recommend going on this tour, expecially if you're going to stay there.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I love Samantha Brown. She is my hero. She shows us all how we can travel alone, and have a blast.
    At least with a camera crew, anyway.

I do like Samantha Brown, I must admit. I used to watch that show a fair bit when I had access to the Travel Channel (or the Aussie equivalent - it is subscription cable only here).

It is lovely to be able to travel around the world vicariously. That's why I visit forums like this!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    She shows us all how we can travel alone, and have a blast.
    Actually, she hardly travels alone. Here's a shot of the crew that accompanies her on her travels:

She is a super lady and a very hard worker! I got to meet Sam very early in her "travel" career when she was filming her "Great Hotels" episode on the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. It may have even been before her first episode actually aired. I certainly didn't know her show before I met her there.

Being somewhat of a world traveler myself for decades, we've talked a few times over the years and I still often provide an assist and advise to her advance travel planning team at PineRidge Film and Television (the production company), based out of Jacksonville, Florida. Great group of folk!

I think she makes it all look so wonderful and easy on-the-air...but to produce these shows and make it look that easy, is a ton work. As this recent "wrong shoes" shot of her heel will attest:

Ouch!

I've suggested that her next series be "Samantha Brown's Wines of the World" which would be visits and experiences with winemakers, their families, and the regions they produce in...all over the world. If she ever did it, I sure wouldn't mind being a "technical adviser" on that one!

My favorite picture of her might indicate that some more advice on "pacing" during an extensive wine tasting, might be in order however:

Anyway...I'm a big fan too. In addition to her series, she's also done several one-shot shows. One of my favorites was "Girl Meets Hawaii." All her shows are such fun.

And a little confession. There may be more to my attraction to Ms. Brown than just travel. You see, my honey and her look very much alike (except for hair color). Everyone says they could be sisters! My honey started out a bit cold on Sam...but now she totally loves her and the shows. I hope the two of them get to meet someday. I bet they'd really hit it off.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Ill actually be at disneyland while this airs, ill see if someone can tape it for me.
    And thanks for the info about the tours, I had no idea they did this!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed Samantha Brown on Great Vacation Homes...cool show. I think that may have been her first Travel Channel series.

Oh, and I'll be at the Grand Californian in...28 days!!! w00t!

• Senior Minion

I've seen this show, and it's pretty good, although she only gets a short, quick glimpse into the suites, which are spectacular. We nearly rented one of the smaller ones, once upon a time.

They do offer daily tours of the GCH, and my wife has taken it, and says it's fantastic. The next time we go, I'll try to join her.

• A Pirate's life for me!

I've seen her in the WDW Christmas special and another one covering the Hotels of WDW.

Nice shows.

Samantha Brown is hit or miss for me. I enjoyed the special, although I think the editing was a bit sloppy. As with many programs highlighting the DLR, there's often a sense that park hopping or even land hopping is instantaneous. That all said, I do think the portions filmed in the Grand Californian (and not the parks per se) make it worthwhile.

• "714"

Right on! So gonna watch it!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• Minion

Thanks for the info...
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast