• Looking for Love

Transporting Monorails

I was doing some thinking about how Disneyland's Monorails are in such bad condition. Then is hit me, untill Disney can make new ones for the park, why don't they just borrow some from WDW. Correct me if i'm wrong, but WDW has about 9 different monorails don't they. Couldn't we just borrow 1 or 2 untill our replacements are made?

I'm almost dead sure the tracks are totally different.

• Having a Grand Day!

Dont worry, we should have some new Bombardier crap on the rails by 2007. (Incase you cant tell, I hate Bombardier with a passion)

• Disneyland Cast Member

WDW Monorails are too big for our beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Disnerd
    confirmed

• Never Look Back

I was talking to one of the Monorail conductors when we rode in the front car, and he confirmed they are getting new Monorails for 2007. He said they will get an all new Tomorrowland station too. I asked him if they would refurb the track, and his answer was no. I was hoping they would refurb the track though, because in my opinion it looks a bit shabby.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail_Blue
    I was talking to one of the Monorail conductors when we rode in the front car, and he confirmed they are getting new Monorails for 2007. He said they will get an all new Tomorrowland station too. I asked him if they would refurb the track, and his answer was no. I was hoping they would refurb the track though, because in my opinion it looks a bit shabby.
    I wish they would add more stations. (DCA, Paridise per hotel....ect.)

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Disnerd
    How are they to big? Are they beams different sizes or are the trains oo long?

• OM NOM NOM

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    I wish they would add more stations. (DCA, Paridise Pier hotel....ect.)
    A stop in DCA wouldn't work. If they joined the two parks via monorail track, they would have to do away with the one day, one park tickets, or forbid those particular guests from riding the monorail. I could see them getting away with a stop at PPH or maybe GCH, but the restructuring of the track path would cost way more than it's worth and would be a major headache for the resort (not to mention the extra crowd at each station wanting to get on).

We just have to be content with the way things are.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara

We just have to be content with the way things are.
    Whos this WE stuff. I want expansion for crying out loud!!!! It feels like every year WDW grows a few more hundred feet, and every year Disneyland is necglected and destroyed a little bit more.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    Whos this WE stuff. I want expansion for crying out loud!!!! It feels like every year WDW grows a few more hundred feet, and every year Disneyland is necglected and destroyed a little bit more.

*chuckle*

You imperialists....

Actually Bombardier isn't building the new monorails, WDI is. FINALLY it's being done in-house. And we're due to get them sometime in 2007.

Don't fret - Disneyland will continue to get new and refreshing changes during the next five years. A new Star Tours, the upcoming Space Mountain/Rockit Mountain will have been opened by then as well, plus the refurbished Submarine Voyage (whatever they're planning), possibly some other new changes. I know you want it all NOW NOW NOW RIGHT NOW, because you're conditioned by the corporations to think that way (it makes you a very obedient consumer), but, sonny, you'll just have to be patient, and let it be done right rather than get it NOW NOW RIGHT NOW and have it fall apart in a laff heap like Tomorrowland 98 did.

There's no competition with WDW - that's all in your head. There's only so much land in Anaheim (and in case you hadn't noticed, California real estate prices have skyrocketed during the last several years), but Disney has acres and acres of land on which to build down in Florida, so they do.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• My arms are tired!

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Dont worry, we should have some new Bombardier crap on the rails by 2007. (Incase you cant tell, I hate Bombardier with a passion)
    Ha! I have to laff at this one too, I do as well, but for a different reason I am sure! We have handled the IP work for one of their divisions (not the train people however), pain in the, well, you know.....

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• враг народа

Blog Entries
    The Monorail Society has a beam chart of different monorail types and it shows the difference between Disneyland's and Walt Disney World's monorail beams. The tracks are not only different sizes but also different shapes.

Alweg Beam Chart

• Boozer, User, and Loser

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    The Monorail Society has a beam chart of different monorail types and it shows the difference between Disneyland's and Walt Disney World's monorail beams. The tracks are not only different sizes but also different shapes.

Alweg Beam Chart

very cool link. great info

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    I tried to find the link where I read it, but in comparison to the "Full Size" trains used at DisneyWorld, Las Vegas and Seattle, the Disneyland trains are roughly 4/5 scale.

Even if you took out one or two of the center cars out of a WDW MkVII train to make it short enough to fit the platforms at DL, and modified the guide wheel bogies and power pickup shoes to fit on the smaller beam, the WDW trains are still physically a foot or more wider and taller.

Like driving a Greyhound Bus into a residential garage, it wouldn't fit on the beam - and the train would be hitting the platforms, the other beam and pylons on crossovers where there are only inches of overhead and horizontal clearance now, and other big problems.

It would be simple enough, and perhaps cheaper, for Bombardier to scale down their existing train design (using standardized parts) and build new trains that would drop right onto the Disneyland Beamway and work right out of the box. And they'd be using modern control systems, too.

--<< Bruce >>--