Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Did you like, or dislike, the Mary Blair murals at Disneyland? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I loved the Blair murals.

I miss them.

Mary was one of Walt Disney's most original and inspirational artists - - and one of his own favorites. If their dream for Tomorrowland was a spirit of international unity, that lovely vision should have remained.
    I agree with merlinjones.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Loved them.

Higly original, unlike anyone that came before or after her, Mary Blair was an American Original of the first order. Walt himself hand picked Mary for the job and approved the content and installation of the murals, how can anyone say they didn't belong in Tomorrowland?

The two murals that made up "The Spirit of Creative Energies Among Children " summed up exactly what Tomorrowland was all about (to Walt and Mary at least) at that time, Children moving us into "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." They where simply some of Mary Blair's or Disney's finest art. Sad to think that what's not gone all together is covered with generic "Space" art of little artistic consequence or worth other than to re-enforce StarTours StarWars theme, which isn't even Disney. It's like covering the Sistine Chapel with a finger painting or a bumper sticker.

Considering Mary had already died at the time the murals were "covered" you'd think they'd have found a way to preserve them. If not in 1986 then by the time of the TL98 debacle, surely Mary Blair's work must have already started to show increase in demand and value. Just another example of Pressler and that Harriss woman doing what they did best, ruining Disneyland and it's history.

Uncover what's left and think of what's lost like you would any artistic treasure that was senselessly destroyed on a profit driven, vainglorious whim.

JMHO..YMMV
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Are we talking about the murals that were made up of photos submitted by guests? If those are the ones I loved them! I really wish they would have kept them up.

As for the Tomorrowland ones, they could have done an electronic version of them. Maybe had them constantly changing from one picture to another to give it a more technological feel to them.

...Joe...

• Banned User

I love Mary Blair but I guess that's because I love abstract art, it's the only art I'm really good at.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    Loved them.

Higly original, unlike anyone that came before or after her, Mary Blair was an American Original of the first order. Walt himself hand picked Mary for the job and approved the content and installation of the murals, how can anyone say they didn't belong in Tomorrowland?

The two murals that made up "The Spirit of Creative Energies Among Children " summed up exactly what Tomorrowland was all about (to Walt and Mary at least) at that time, Children moving us into "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." They where simply some of Mary Blair's or Disney's finest art. Sad to think that what's not gone all together is covered with generic "Space" art of little artistic consequence or worth other than to re-enforce StarTours StarWars theme, which isn't even Disney. It's like covering the Sistine Chapel with a finger painting or a bumper sticker.

Considering Mary had already died at the time the murals were "covered" you'd think they'd have found a way to preserve them. If not in 1986 then by the time of the TL98 debacle, surely Mary Blair's work must have already started to show increase in demand and value. Just another example of Pressler and that Harriss woman doing what they did best, ruining Disneyland and it's history.

Uncover what's left and think of what's lost like you would any artistic treasure that was senselessly destroyed on a profit driven, vainglorious whim.

JMHO..YMMV
    They would have found a GREAT temporary home in the 50th exhibit.....Welll, even if the whole mural could not fit in the building, it would have been nice to atleast see an actual piece from it.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    They would have found a GREAT temporary home in the 50th exhibit.....Welll, even if the whole mural could not fit in the building, it would have been nice to atleast see an actual piece from it.
    Agreed!

I loved the Mary Blair murals. I also miss them a lot. I think they really should have been installed in the Small World Mall area or even at the DL Hotel. I never thought they meshed with the Tomorrowland theme, but I admired them even as a kid.
    <o>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    Are we talking about the murals that were made up of photos submitted by guests? If those are the ones I loved them! I really wish they would have kept them up.

As for the Tomorrowland ones, they could have done an electronic version of them. Maybe had them constantly changing from one picture to another to give it a more technological feel to them.

...Joe...
    No, were talking about these Mary Blair Murals, the two on the bottom Joe .

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I honestly don't care either way about the murals. I do think it was a shame that one was destroyed instead of trying to save it. I wonder how damaged the other mural is?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post

...Joe...
    No, Joe, we're talking about these murals - http://www.yesterland.com/maryblair.html

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Oh, thanks! I don't have an opinion one way or another about them. They're nice, but nothing spectacular in my opinon. More than I could do though.

...Joe...

I agree with Uzmati and anyone who would like to see the murals restored and preserved in some way.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I honestly don't care either way about the murals. I do think it was a shame that one was destroyed instead of trying to save it. I wonder how damaged the other mural is?
    I'd imagine they'd have drilled holes through some of the tiles to anchor the frame for the newer murals to be hung upon. Hopefully done so that the weight of the new "art" or it's frame didn't crack any of the other tiles. Industrial adhesives. Years of not being cleaned nor maintained. Maybe some paint overspill on the surfaces. Damage, some. Unrepairable? I'd like to hope not and believe one day that mural will be so "hot" in the Disneyana/art world that Disney will do anything to get it back out in the open on display. If nothing else "loan" it to someone who cares. I'm sure there are museums that would kill to display it. Pity Disney doesn't see fit to. I just hope they never sell it on eBay or at Mouse Surplus.

I like the idea of moving it to somewhere near IASW, Mary was key in it's design and the mural would indeed tie in very nicely. But Walt picked those murals for the main walk into Tomorrowland himself, and to me it seems as wrong to move the existing one as it does to cover it.

IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Minion

We've discussed this numerous times in here. Just for the record I liked Blair's style for many things but always thought they were totally inappropriate for Tomorrowland.

Thought there should have been an effort to preserve and perhaps move them but think that was too difficult considering what adhesives the tiles were probably attached with in their time.

Her artwork always looked like childrens' book illustrations or greeting card material.

• Banned User

Wherei s this artwork located at?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast