Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Did you like, or dislike, the Mary Blair murals at Disneyland? Why?

Like? I love them. They are part of Disneyland History.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Wherei s this artwork located at?
    It was removed from the park about 8 years ago. This was mentioned in several of the posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Wherei s this artwork located at?
    Under the mural on the StarTours building between the entrance and Star Traders. Underneath the mural of the Starspeeders.

the other one was on the building where BLAB is now.

IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    It was removed from the park about 8 years ago. This was mentioned in several of the posts above.
    Actually, I do not believe they were removed - just the current 'pieces' were put over - with the idea to preserve the murals. I don't think they wanted to get rid of them, perse, which is what I got from the article I read.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
    I enjoyed the murals but I always thought they were out of place in tomorrowland. I think she could have done some great murals to line the walk back to small world.
    Ditto.

I feel that the images over the murals are far better suited for TL, though I feel that it would have been cooler to hire artists to create something of equal artship to the area...use rockwork to make new TL murals.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Ditto.

I feel that the images over the murals are far better suited for TL, though I feel that it would have been cooler to hire artists to create something of equal artship to the area...use rockwork to make new TL murals.
    I think that is a good idea. But isn't there SOME way that the Mary Blair murals could be moved 'elsewhere' - like into some Walt Disney Studio's Museum or something?

• Minion

I had an idea - - make those areas a wrap-around video mural with digital squares representing the old tiles -- then Mary's "restored" mural can give way to digital art, futuristic ads, short films and cartoons of the future, then go back to Mary's mural design again. A mural of Tomorrow.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Actually, I do not believe they were removed - just the current 'pieces' were put over - with the idea to preserve the murals. I don't think they wanted to get rid of them, perse, which is what I got from the article I read.
    • The south mural (on the Inner Space building) lasted until 1986, when it was covered up by a Star Wars themed mural to serve as the facade for the new Star Tours attraction (1987).
    • The north mural (on the Circle-Vision building) lasted until 1997, when this legacy from the 1967 New Tomorrowland project became a victim of the 1998 New Tomorrowland.
    Source: Yesterdayland.Com

Disney artist, designer and color stylist Mary Blair (1911-1978) has so inspired several generations of animation artists with her legendary work in Disney Classic Animation and at the theme parks (Small World being most noteworthy) that to cover over or destroy her work in this day and age would be blasphemous. And yet in 1987 and 1997 Disney Imagineering did just that. Two of her largest and most exemplary tile murals covering the north and south sides of Disneylands classic 60's Tomorrowland were either chipped into oblivion when Star Tours opened or covered over with the opening of the 'New' Tomorrowland. Inarguably both are modernist masterpieces.

Source: Re-Imagineering

As a sentimental touch to Disney history, they used broken tiles of a mural, that Disney artist Mary Blair (whose work is also visible at Disneyland Paris just a few meters away from Pizzeria Bella Notte at it's a small world) had created for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Those broken tiles are now part of the wales of this very special counter-service restaurant.

Source: DLP.Info

Last edited by Uzmati; 10-09-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Speaking of Mary Blair, I found it interesting that there is suppost to be a small world doll based after her in the ride.

• Mouseke-Awesome

While I think they are indeed a key part if Disney/Land history, and the murlas were a personal favorite of mine (I just dig her artwork in general), I do agree with those who said they didn't really suit Tomorrowland (as far as if they were still around today- and I agree that they should have been better preserved and moved over to IASW).

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

The one Mary Blair mural on the left (Circlevision/Buzz side) is still there underneath the current mural. So maybe we'll get a peek someday?

You can visit part of the one on the Star Tours side, today! Though I don't think you would recognize it. It was broken up into tiny pieces and I believe it was Imagineer Tony Baxter that salvaged what was left and had those pieces shipped to Paris where they were used (as sort of an homage and one of those secret insider factoids) to decorate the "Pizzeria Bella Notte" restaurant at Disneyland Paris. The style of using old broken pieces of ceramics as part of building and walkway design is quite common in Italy...so the pieces fit right in with the particular building style and design of this great Fantasyland restaurant.

So if you're ever at Disneyland Paris...stop by the restaurant and say "Hi" to Mary and a little secret connection to Disneyland in Anaheim.

But most of the mural on the Star Tours side was severely destroyed and damaged...and not just a few large holes (which there are)...the mural went all the way to the ground on that side and they cut much of that whole section out. Though large sections of it still remain covered up there too. But the Buzz side is largely intact under a specially built frame that separates it from the current mural.

An Imagineer friend recently turned me on to a Small World Mary Blair mural that Walt donated to the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA, that's still there and you can visit today! He pointed me to some photos of it here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...=11661&forum=6

I never knew it existed until he told me. I'll have to check it out someday.

Even though it's not the same one from Disneyland...perhaps you can get a little "fix" by visiting it if you're ever in the area?

Personally...I loved the Mary Blair murals. But I did think they were somehow out-of-place with their location in Tomorrowland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Now that I think about it, I think those murals were one of the things that helped connect Tomorrowland with Fantasyland.

Tomorrowland is about making dreams a reality through innovation, change, and bringing peace around the world. While Fantasyland is about living your dreams and living in fanatsy.

Both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland revolve around fantasy and peace.

Even though I do not like the style, I think the murals depicted that.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    • The south mural (on the Inner Space building) lasted until 1986, when it was covered up by a Star Wars themed mural to serve as the facade for the new Star Tours attraction (1987).
    • The north mural (on the Circle-Vision building) lasted until 1997, when this legacy from the 1967 New Tomorrowland project became a victim of the 1998 New Tomorrowland.
    Source: Yesterdayland.Com

Disney artist, designer and color stylist Mary Blair (1911-1978) has so inspired several generations of animation artists with her legendary work in Disney Classic Animation and at the theme parks (Small World being most noteworthy) that to cover over or destroy her work in this day and age would be blasphemous. And yet in 1987 and 1997 Disney Imagineering did just that. Two of her largest and most exemplary tile murals covering the north and south sides of Disneylands classic 60's Tomorrowland were either chipped into oblivion when Star Tours opened or covered over with the opening of the 'New' Tomorrowland. Inarguably both are modernist masterpieces.

Source: Re-Imagineering

As a sentimental touch to Disney history, they used broken tiles of a mural, that Disney artist Mary Blair (whose work is also visible at Disneyland Paris just a few meters away from Pizzeria Bella Notte at it's a small world) had created for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Those broken tiles are now part of the wales of this very special counter-service restaurant.

Source: DLP.Info

Didn't look on your links, but I guess I stand corrected. Might've been reading an old article, but I thought the circlevision one was still in tact underneath the new item that is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    They would have found a GREAT temporary home in the 50th exhibit.....Welll, even if the whole mural could not fit in the building, it would have been nice to atleast see an actual piece from it.
    FYI, there is another Mary Blair mural that still exists in Southern California. Walt Disney commissioned Blair to create another Small World mural for the children's waiting room at the UCLA Jules Stein Eye Center. While this mural is much smaller than the two Blair created for Tomorrowland, it is just as charming. It's well worth a visit if you're ever on the UCLA campus. I work for UCLA, and always stop in to visit Mary whenever my errands take me close to the Eye Center.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• Minion

The CircleVision side is intact under the canopy -- the Inner space side was largely defaced, but much is still under there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast