May 5th Celebration - My Pictures & Video!

I got home around 2am last night from our trip. I haven't had much time to search all the Disney boards and links to see what everyone has posted. I hope I can find everyone's pictures and links!! I hope that if you were there on May 5th I was able to capture you somewhere in my pictures so that you can use them!

It all started at around 4:30 am, that is when I arrived at Disneyland to get in line outside the Security tent. There was already about 40 people there. Since it had rained during the night, it was impossible to sit on the floor unless you brought something specifically for that purpose. It wasn't a long wait, they started letting people in at 7am as scheduled. Heres the pictures and video of the esplanade from 7am up until moments when we were let into the park:

To see larger image, please click on thumbnail.

320 x 240 in size, 24 Seconds long
    Video of guests waiting to get into the park singing the Mickey Mouse Club song!

The moments leading up to the gates being opened were wonderful! The sounds of cheering, the smiles, the singing. The Disneyland Marching Band came and the cheers intensified. They started to play the Mickey Mouse Club song and we sang along, clapping. Shortly there-after, we counted down to the gates being opened. 5-4-3-2---1!!! It felt like New Years!!! Even though Cast Members pleaded with everyone not to run, of course we all hustled to get down Main Street. My family and I split up, some when to the lockers and the rest down Main Street to where we saw the first line of rope. We all stood on our tip toes, lifting our cameras high above our heads to snap pictures of what we could manage to see. When the opening announcement began, I had to swallow hard. It was so easy to get choked up. What made it even worse is someone behind me said, "Oh, I think I'm going to cry!" and I turned to see tears swelling. That was all I needed to start my own. Here's the shots I got:

About 10 minutes later, they let down the first rope and the crowd moved forward to the next line of rope. From here we would wait for the opening announcements. I took a look behind me and I was shocked at the gathered crowd! Main Street was packed solid. Here is the pictures and video I have:

320 x 240 in size, 49 Seconds long
    Video of the opening morning announcement and the crowds reaction.

After the announcements were over, the rope was released and we proceeded to the third line of rope. Finally we could see more! The crowd was getting more packed. Here is the pictures from the third rope line view:

Finally, the third rope was let down and we moved to the final destination, the fourth rope! This was a terrible disappointment because it was such a small section that was available to be in, we were cram packed! You could barely see anything as nearly the entire hub, castle and it's surrounding vicinity was engulfed by the media and their structures etc. One good thing happened though, they removed one of the blue tent/umbrellas that was blocking one of the plasma screens. This made it possible for us to actually see the plasma screen. We all cheered in thanks as it was taken down. You can see in these pictures the before and after. I also took a short clip of when Eisner was introduced and everyone started to boo, I was surprised at how loud it was!! I've always read on message boards about how he gets boo'ed but I never imagined it like this. Off to our right there was a group of guests chanting, "We want Roy! We want Roy!". Directly behind me a guest shouted in response, "Come on!! It's the 50th!!" and then cheered. You can hear it all in my video clip:

320 x 240 in size, 24 Seconds long
    Video of guests reaction to Michael Eisner's introduction.

I was enjoying the celebration ceremonies up until they showed what was new for 50th celebration and it seemed it was all about Disney World. I quickly recovered that warm fuzzy feeling as Art Linkletter said that it seemed like only yesterday that he stood in the very spot he was with Walt Disney at his side. He said he remembered how Walt was stressed about the problems that were happening that day, one of them being that the toilets in Tomorrowland weren't working and he said he was glad to say that they were in working order today! To see Art standing there in person at the front of the castle, I felt sad as I realized it was something I will probably never see again. I wiped the tears as Art looked up at the sky and held up his hand, "Thank you Walt, where-ever you are", he said. The biggest cry I had is after the characters all came out, simulating a live continuation of the 50th commercials we have seen of the little boy and the characters trying to get to Disneyland for the 50th celebration. I grinned wide to see this unfold, but then the same child that was in the commercials came running out of the castle archway up to Julie Andrews, he was shouting "I made it!". I started to cry immediately. I felt as if that little boy was the child in me, the one that did everything they could to somehow get to Disneyland that day, to be there for this celebration. As Julie spoke to the child the tears streamed, I wanted to shout out the same, "I made it!" Here's a new more various pictures of the golden vehicles, seeing Jingles look so beautiful made my eyes mist up.

I had a wonderful trip!! I missed the MiceChat meet up because I was holding seats on Main Street for my family so we could see the parade. July 17th I will hopefully have a chance to meet the MiceChat gang!

cool update.........4:30 am, you're nuts!

• I <3 'o'

ahh i got chill bumps!
    'o' HaPpIeSt CeLeBrAtiOn On EaRtH HeRe I CoMe! 'o'
    Walt Disney World 5 times (going on 6)
    Disneyland and California Adventures 1 time
    <3 allison

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    We were there on the 5th too, but seeing as we had a one year old we got there around 10, coming over from the Hotel. By then there were low lines to get in and we still had a great place to see the show in front of the castle starting at 11! Glad We got our sleep, it was a very exiting and long day! I think I only would have been there at 4:30 if Walt himself was expected to rise from the dead and be there.
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 06-18-2005 at 09:02 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Shubisha

I spotted myself in the mickey mouse singing video woo

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    I spotted myself in the mickey mouse singing video woo
    You did!? Where?? That's cool