Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Hand News

First Hand News

We've all read about the history of Disneyland in numerous books. I'd like to know is there anyone out there that can actually tell us first hand what an old attraction was like before the powers to be took it out? I recently read about the tree stump in Adventureland that housed a little leprechaun. Does anyone remember seeing that? Or, I'm really curious about The Living Desert Mine Train ride. Did anyone here ever ride that? How about those air Flying Saucers in Tomorrowland?

Many years from now we'll be fortunate enough to tell someone what The Country Bear Jamboree was like. Or the Rocket Rods. Or even Journy Through Inner Space.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald
    I recently read about the tree stump in Adventureland that housed a little leprechaun.
    It was just the base of the tree not a stump. It was only pulled out a few years ago if that. I don't remember much before 1983 but I do recall-- ATIS, Peoplemover, America Sings, Small World with the old queue set up and each area had a welcome sign, Circle Vision 360, Mission to Mars, Fantasyland Autopia, Moter Boat cruise, Keel Boats, the 2nd queue for Jungle, no bridge for Pirates, and I am sure many more things but those are just things that people still look at me funny when I talk about.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Gay Man

My first trip to DL was in 1965, so I've got first-hand experience. But, my memory is not as distinct as it could be.

However, the person who has the knowledge and experience AND the great memory is Lost Boy. He's got some great stories.

In additions, MinionLumbo also has some great memories - though they don't go as far back as LostBoy's do.

There are some advantages to being older.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    One of my fave things of yore - the flaming "Volcano" sundae at Tahitian Terrace. It was a hot fudge sundae with a dash of brandy or rum on top that they'd light on fire right at your table. It was my favorite DL dessert as a kid.

I also recall the Tomorrowland Stage, just below SM - and seeing David Cassidy performing on that stage. And riding the People Mover through the original "speed tunnel" of racecars, before they changed it to Tron. Aaaaah, so many memories. I miss the ol' Tomorrowland.

• Junior Senior

...Or the Rocket Rods...
    Heck, I know people my age who didn't manage to go on Rocket Rods before it closed and never even heard about it. That was a pretty short-lived little attraction.

• Minion

I got on Rocket Rods, it was exiting but not worth the 2 hour wait.

• e komo mai

I was there 6/21/81 and I loved everything about Disneyland. I remember being blown away by 'Adventure Thru Inner Space' when I was a kid. I completely believed that I was being shrunk and that I was one of those miniature people on the side of the huge microscope. It was a total fantasy thing that had me sold.

I was also terrified of the Haunted Mansion. Such a great build up. Didn't know what to expect as I stood in the queue.

• Luckiest Man Alive!

Heck, I'm old enough to remember the Matterhorn being built! My parents used to go frequently when I was a kid - I used to be terrified of Mission to the Moon! I also thought we really shrank on Monsanto.....and it was cool when we got to ride in the front of the 'new' Monorail train soon after it opened.
    Robert

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

We've all read about the history of Disneyland in numerous books. I'd like to know is there anyone out there that can actually tell us first hand what an old attraction was like before the powers to be took it out? I recently read about the tree stump in Adventureland that housed a little leprechaun. Does anyone remember seeing that? Or, I'm really curious about The Living Desert Mine Train ride. Did anyone here ever ride that? How about those air Flying Saucers in Tomorrowland?

Many years from now we'll be fortunate enough to tell someone what The Country Bear Jamboree was like. Or the Rocket Rods. Or even Journy Through Inner Space.
    How far back are we talking here? 1950? 1960?? My mom remembers when you could actually walk into the park and not pay to get in. She would do her Christmas shopping on Main Street when I was really little (around 1969).

I remember:
    Captain EO & seeing Michael Jackson backstage
    The old Tomorrowland and Fantasyland
    Being able to go into the park and not have to pay an admission fee
    Buying A-E tickets

That's all I can think of but I'm sure other people have even better ones. A good place for flashbacks it Yesterland.com. It's got some great stuff about all the old rides

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo
    How far back are we talking here? 1950? 1960?? My mom remembers when you could actually walk into the park and not pay to get in. She would do her Christmas shopping on Main Street when I was really little (around 1969).

I remember:
    Captain EO & seeing Michael Jackson backstage
    The old Tomorrowland and Fantasyland
    Being able to go into the park and not have to pay an admission fee
    Buying A-E tickets

That's all I can think of but I'm sure other people have even better ones. A good place for flashbacks it Yesterland.com. It's got some great stuff about all the old rides
    Those are the kind of stories I'm wanting to hear. I have never ever heard that there was a time when you could get into the park for free. I know there was a time when each attraction cost, but I always thought they charged a little just to get in.

And this goes for WDW also. The first time I went my family took a "guided" tour by an officail Magic Kingdom Guide. (complete with riding hat and crop) Is that position still around? And who can forget Monsanto's "If You Had Wings?" Ah....the memories......

• no flash photography...

I use to love the skyway and the pirate ship. I was so bummed when they took the pirate ship out. We always ate lunch on it. I have no memories of what the ship looked like, but I think we could play on it also. I use to go on the motor boats with my Father. he would always act like we were going to crash into the rocks...LOL..then he would take my sister on the rockets and my mother and I would ride POTC. I use to love america sings. I liked the way the chairs moved and we would clap as we went around. The rocket rods were way cool. I LOVED sitting in the very front. I was bummed when they took those out also. I always loved the monorail. As a child I was scared of all the "fast" rides...so any show or slow moving ride I liked...I'm totally the opposite now...>LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I use to love the skyway and the pirate ship. I was so bummed when they took the pirate ship out. We always ate lunch on it. I have no memories of what the ship looked like, but I think we could play on it also. I use to go on the motor boats with my Father. he would always act like we were going to crash into the rocks...LOL..then he would take my sister on the rockets and my mother and I would ride POTC. I use to love america sings. I liked the way the chairs moved and we would clap as we went around. The rocket rods were way cool. I LOVED sitting in the very front. I was bummed when they took those out also. I always loved the monorail. As a child I was scared of all the "fast" rides...so any show or slow moving ride I liked...I'm totally the opposite now...>LOL
    Did you eat in the Pirate Ship when it was still sponsored by "Chicken Of The Sea?"

Comming from a kid who grew up in the 80's...

The only attraction I missed out on when it was still around was the Mortor Boats.

I remember when Fantasyland and Tomarrowland had separate Autopias, I remember the Videopolus stage (but I don't remember ever watching anything there).

ooo.... does anyone remember Mickey Moo?

• "I don't like the color"

What's really scary is I remember riding the Flying Saucers! The Motor Boat Cruise was fun because as a little kid you actually thought you were driving the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike
    What's really scary is I remember riding the Flying Saucers! The Motor Boat Cruise was fun because as a little kid you actually thought you were driving the boat.
    I want to hear more about those Flying Saucers! What do you remember?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast