Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Picturing the Magic

Lightbulb A "Town" I would rather not visit...

To me, Toon-Town turns away more then it welcomes in. I have never been a big fan of this repelling land and i suppose it's because there is nothing new and exciting to do there. Although i love the disney cartoons, i contemplate that there shouldn't be a toon-town because Disneyland is focused more on real events in time and places where as in Toon-town you must step into an one person's ideal of how cartoon's characters might live their life.

Art is not that simple. (Ex: ) Everyone has there views when they disect a painting (drawing/show) and not until they gather together and talk do they begin to become more leniant to what another person finds important in a piece of art. In plain words, Toon-Town should be re-thought so that the guest is able to imagine, dream up, and live in the world of the common Toon. Off the Page in DCA does a good job off this because the guest is able to communicate with characters (nemo) and even find out which Toon is most like them. A person can not just see the world and understand it---they must live the in world to know its true capacity.

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: A "Town" I would rather not visit...

i contemplate that there shouldn't be a toon-town because Disneyland is focused more on real events in time and places where as in Toon-town you must step into an one person's ideal of how cartoon's characters might live their life.
    Realism in "Fantasyland"? Realism in Tarzan's Treehouse, Realism in
    999 Happy Haunts, realism with the singing animals, Realism in us
    blowing up the death star and anahilating the Evil Emperor Eisner Zurg,
    yeah there's way too much "realism" in DL for a Toontown to exist.

• Banned User

The biggest problem with Toon Town is that it was clearly made for children, rather than for the entire family. The MBA-holding corporate drones clearly have fallen into the trap of believing, like the rest of Hollywood and the world, that there is an adult world, and a separate world for the little ones. Walt never pandered to children and he never targeted just them for any attraction. The current dimbulbs in Burbank, as evidenced in some of the marketing language used on the Disneyland website, obviously don't buy into Walt's vision, which begs the question - why are they there, then?

Honestly, anyone 10 years and older is not going to be interested in Toon Town. It's like Disney's version of a Happy Meal.

• Shablagoo!

I like Toon Town, though mostly for Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin. The area could definitely use a new attraction. I'll say this though, its better than the Mickey's Toontown Fair in the Magic Kingdom at WDW.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Toontown sucks besides Rogar Rabbit. But the land like someone already said was made for kids like Bugs land which is why I hate both lands. disneyland was made for Famliy's and each land was made for famliy's and some rides were focused on kids, teens, adults but Toontown is ALL kids and only one ride for teens. I think we should add a 3D Mickey show (maybe Kindom Hearts?) We should Redo the Rollarcoaster to get more people on it (like 2 cars) and have a Mickey and Friends Dark ride, that would help Toontown a little but more work needs to be done.

I really like Toontown , especially at Christmas.

Toontown's lights and music and Christmas decorations are perhaps the best in the whole Park.

I love to sit in Minnie's House when she's not there. You can linger and sit a spell.

Toontown is not really about rides. I like to look in Minnie's oven and her refrigerator.

I also like the Power Company where you get electrocuted. I like going to the Post Office to see all their messages.

Toontown at night, when it's all lit up for Christmas is fantastic.

I've never seen it other than at Christmas though.

• Minion

I enjoy toon town except when its hot!
    There is no shady, comfortable place to hang out, and after last Saturday, I will never get on Roger Rabbit without a FP!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Artsy Fartsy

I have to agree with most of you, toon town is not an adult place. My 8 year old loves it, but thats assumed!! The only reason I even step foot into toon town is to visit my Man Mouse, Mickey. Once I've seen him and said my hellos I'm outta there.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I was ready to say how much I love Toon Town, but then realized that I only love it cause of my kids. Ive only been there once without them and its only cause there was almost no one else there.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• SoCal "Select" Cheapskate

Something interesting that is said while passing toontown on the DL Railroad is that for years, Mickey and his friends have visited us in our world and now he invites us to visit him in his. I thought that was interesting...gives more premise to the town.

• I'm not really here

Toon Town never has been about rides. It's about where the characters go at the end of a hard day to their homes. It's where they live. As the backstory goes direct from Imagineering:

Walt was desperately trying to find a place to put Disneyland and Mickey could see how worried he was. Mickey told Walt one day of this great place behind where he and the other characters lived. "Why not put it there... right by us?" he asked. Walt took a look at it and decided it was the perfect place for his park and built Disneyland there, next door to Toon Town. The location of Toon Town was concealed for years in order to provide the characters a place they could live in peace after all the hustle of the park. Until one day, Mayor Mickey decided to throw open the gates and invite the public into their homes.

I don't have it quoted exactly, but that's the gist. If anyone is interested, I can post the exact quote from the Imagineering book when I get home from work later. Toon Town is about being in the place where the characters live. It's their city. Never was supposed to be about rides. Granted, it definitely feels more geared towards children... but there's one hiding in each of us. Just let him out next time you're there and enjoy the whimsy and fantasy of the land.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• phbbbbbt

My sister and I were in our 20's when ToonTown opened, and we found it charming. Roger Rabbit was doing a soft open, nobody had even heard of it yet. It was fabulously fun, and it *felt* like being in a cartoon.

Since then, I've watched the Jolly Trolley disappear, the Chip 'n Dale Treehouse close, and Goofy's Bounce House be demolished. It has been terribly neglected, you can see other buildings over the false skyline (which totally ruins the illusion), and there's just not much to do. The food is terrible, there's no shade, and the line for RR is horrible. And holy cow, when the paint is chipped and faded, it totally ruins the cartoon feel!
    xo, Deanna

• SoCal "Select" Cheapskate

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The location of Toon Town was concealed for years in order to provide the characters a place they could live in peace after all the hustle of the park. Until one day, Mayor Mickey decided to throw open the gates and invite the public into their homes.
    Mayor Mickey...I love how Mickey is always good at everything. He's always, an athlete, a sailor, an actor, a mayor, everything. I'm so jealous.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I only go into ToonTown to ride Roger Rabbit, and that's rare. Other than that I avoid it all costs.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Banned User

Very well said. The reason i don't visit toontown often is because there is not much to do there. Only Roger Rabbits Car-Toon spin and mickey's house is the best thing there

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast