Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I love this place!

Indiana Jones with Jungle Cruise and DLRR

As I'm thumbing through my copy of The Art of Disneyland today, I came across some early concept artwork by Brian Jowers for the Indiana Jones ride. The painting depicts an interior show ride scene, with the Indy ride vehicles going through a huge room kind of reminiscent of the mine-train scene in Temple of Doom. What blew me away by the painting is that it shows a Jungle Cruise river boat floating through one area, and the Disneyland Railroad going by in the back. It's on page 33 if you have a copy. I'm sure that due to the physical layout of these 3 rides, it would have been impossible to actually make this work, but how cool would it be to have incorporated all three of these great rides into one scene like that! People who are unable to ride Indy (pregnant, back or heart problems) could have gotten in on the fun! It's just an amazing painting and I think from now on I'll probably look at the Indiana Jones ride a little differently. Just wanted to share that. Oh, and if you don't own a copy of The Art of Disneyland, if you like concept artwork at all, get it on your Christmas list ASAP!

Re: Indiana Jones with Jungle Cruise and DLRR

That sounds so cool, its amazing what is possible with a great imagination!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Not to mention the runaway mine cars!

Just pulled out my ever handy copy to have a look. No matter how many times I look at these sketches and painting, I'm always floored.

It would have been a logistical nightmare to actually build the ride that way, but it certainly would have been amazing.

I also note that on the middle-left of the ride there is a loop that would have given an inversion to the ride. Now THAT would have been fun.

I'd also like to second 5hr drive's plug for the Art of Disneyland book. Certainly a must-have for every self-respecting Disneyland fan's collection.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

It was very possible and that was the plan for quite a bit of the design life of Indy. But costs were starting to soar and something had to give. So some of the first things cut were the Jungle Cruise and Disneyland Railroad work-ins.

But you're right. It would have been great.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 5hr drive View Post
    As I'm thumbing through my copy of The Art of Disneyland today, I came across some early concept artwork by Brian Jowers for the Indiana Jones ride. The painting depicts an interior show ride scene, with the Indy ride vehicles going through a huge room kind of reminiscent of the mine-train scene in Temple of Doom. What blew me away by the painting is that it shows a Jungle Cruise river boat floating through one area, and the Disneyland Railroad going by in the back. It's on page 33 if you have a copy. I'm sure that due to the physical layout of these 3 rides, it would have been impossible to actually make this work, but how cool would it be to have incorporated all three of these great rides into one scene like that! People who are unable to ride Indy (pregnant, back or heart problems) could have gotten in on the fun! It's just an amazing painting and I think from now on I'll probably look at the Indiana Jones ride a little differently. Just wanted to share that. Oh, and if you don't own a copy of The Art of Disneyland, if you like concept artwork at all, get it on your Christmas list ASAP!
    This would have been really neat to see, with all the multi-layers of attractions. Did it look like this?
    Jason

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Look at it closely, there are two Indiana Jones attractions in that painting. One is the Jeep (EMVs) attraction and the other is a mine train a la the Temple of Doom.

They were ALL supposed to go through the big room. Indy was supposed to be 2 rides: a dark ride on jeeps (NOT EMVs, actually) and a wilder mine cart, ala Temple of Doom (or the Parisian ride, more accurately). The railroad and Jungle Cruise were supposed to go through the building.
    But, get this: Jungle Cruise was supposed to be part of the LINE for the ride. The boats would have been reversed, dropping off the passengers at the Indy load station.
    Well, Euro-Disney brought that back in scale, and they combined the special-effects dark ride with the roller-coaster thrill ride, which necessitated... yep, the EMVs.
    Tony Baxter has an inteview somewhere on teh internets about this.

• Animatronic

While intertwined rides are very Walt, and make great use of space and created excitment and multiple use of sets, they don't allow for easy replacement of one of the rides with a Pooh type attraction to sell the plush toy of the moment.

• I love this place!

Yes, that's the one. Incredible looking, isn't it? That's the Disneyland Railroad going by in the top center and a Jungle Cruise boat making a hairpin turn just to the right of dead center. I didn't even mention the mine-train. Four attractions in one scene! Amazing. Kinda like the old Tomorrowland with subs, Autopia, Monorail, and People Mover all intertwined at the lagoon. Now that I know that this set-up really was possible to pull off and wasn't, well it sure was a missed opportunity in my book. Thanks for all the info, everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsix View Post
    This would have been really neat to see, with all the multi-layers of attractions. Did it look like this?

• a wind to shake the stars

That's an amazing concept. Does anyone have the interview?

That would have been really cool.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Wow. That would've been so awesome...

• Oh my Goodness!

I remember seeing a print of this up at the Gallery. I thought it looked like such a cool idea. Too bad it would have taken sooo much rerouting of the JC and RR to make it work. Neat idea tho

Here's a similar interview. That's not the one I'm looking for, and I'll find one. http://www.indianajones.com/communit...525/index.html

• Adventure has a new name!

I would of loved to see that, it just looks so cool

Ride lines, why did it have to be ride lines!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast