Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Astro Orbitor bronze days numbered?

I'd like to give props to Mathius for mentioning what I've heard before elsewhere as well, that the old platform is quite banged up from misuse and uncaring. They wouldn't want anything bad to happen, especially mind you with an open store directly underneath.

Give it some time, because there's a good chance they'll have to rebuild that whole tower sometime.

Personally, I never did the Rocket Jets at DL, but did the up high Orbiter at MK and have to say that after all these years, I sure wasn't missing much. Except fear. More fear than teacups. Or maybe it was just because it was nighttime and I just ate and it was the coldest night of the year for Orlando. It was bad enough watching the castle, Space Mountain, and the Contemporary zip before my eyes over and over to even bother to lift the shuttle up at all.

• Banned User

The Rocket Jets need to return to their place of origin. Whatever needs to be done to ensure this, MUST be done. If it requires a complete rebuilding of the current tower, so be it. But the Rocket Jets MUST return, as must the PeopleMover.

These demands are non-negotiable.

• Disneyland Freak

Personally, I could care less if it moved or not and considering that a lot of money would be required to move it, I'd give it a big fat NO! The money could be used for infinitely better purposes especially over to DCA. The Astro Orbitor is still a popular attraction even at ground level so the change would be highly unnecessary.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak View Post
    Personally, I could care less if it moved or not and considering that a lot of money would be required to move it, I'd give it a big fat NO! The money could be used for infinetly better purposes especially over to DCA. The Astro Orbitor is still a popular attraction even at ground level so the change is highly un-necessary.

I disagree. The change is one of the most necessary for Tomorrowland and for the future of the entire park. We all agree that it's an eye-sore of an entrance but it's also a complete waste of space as well. The area is so incredibly congested in the summer and a major inconvenience to guests and cast members alike. Once it's removed, the well... feng shui of the hub will return and Tomorrowland will be a much more welcoming environment.

So far, the only wasted money was already spent building it down below in the first place. Lucky for us, the foundation of the original ride still exists up high and can be returned to it's former (or better) glory without an incredible amount of effort.

I rode the Astro Oribtor once and never again because it just wasn't that specacular anymore. Up high is where it belongs, and it'll add to the kinetic energy the land once had.

There's no better use for disney dollars right now than to first repare the mistakes made of the past. Only when the wounds are healed can they expand to do truly amazing things.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Bring back the rockets. Up high, the Rocket Jets were a great version of "Dumbo" for an older crowd!!!
    Yes, and now they're just a "Dumbo" for the crowd that just wandered over from Fantasyland and would like to experience deja vu all over again... (only they managed to get it actually LOWER than ground level to kill any level of excitement)

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    We all agree that it's an eye-sore of an entrance but it's also a complete waste of space as well.
    Whose we? I never remember telling anyone that it was an eye-sore. In fact, I like the Orbiter there. By using the same or similar colors to Hong Kong's Orbitron, it would be fine.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
    Whose we? I never remember telling anyone that it was an eye-sore. In fact, I like the Orbiter there. By using the same or similar colors to Hong Kong's Orbitron, it would be fine.
    I'll say it. I agree with Coheteboy that where the Astor Orbitor currently resides is an eyesore. The whole '98 massacre of Tomorrowland is an eyesore. Thank God they're clearing up the mess they made section by section, finally!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Actually, the old Rocket Jets never left their high perch. They're still there. Disney merely removed the rockets, installed cheapo satellite dishes and painted it brown. The Astro Orbitor is an entirely different machine.

The platform supported the weight of the ride for many years and has not been substantially changed.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Disneyland Freak

The removal of Lunching pad, addition of Radio Disney, removal of that, and now the addition of Tomorrowlanding all seem pretty substantial to me.

I don't agree that it's an eyesore and I don't see how relocating the attraction would not be a waste of money when there are several other more important things that it could be funneled into.

High in the air or down on the ground it's still a glorified Dumbo ride. Height exhilaration, nothing. I never wanted to ride it as a child because it was just that, a Dumbo ride higher off the ground.

The attraction as-is always has people wanting to ride it, in fact this past summer I saw it reach over an hour length. Moving the attraction back to the old platform would hardly increase it's appeal.

Waste of money.

IMO.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I disagree. The change is one of the most necessary for Tomorrowland and for the future of the entire park. We all agree that it's an eye-sore of an entrance but it's also a complete waste of space as well. The area is so incredibly congested in the summer and a major inconvenience to guests and cast members alike. Once it's removed, the well... feng shui of the hub will return and Tomorrowland will be a much more welcoming environment.

So far, the only wasted money was already spent building it down below in the first place. Lucky for us, the foundation of the original ride still exists up high and can be returned to it's former (or better) glory without an incredible amount of effort.

I rode the Astro Oribtor once and never again because it just wasn't that specacular anymore. Up high is where it belongs, and it'll add to the kinetic energy the land once had.

There's no better use for disney dollars right now than to first repare the mistakes made of the past. Only when the wounds are healed can they expand to do truly amazing things.
    I agree, the Astro Orbitor needs to go back up on it's platform again.
    Being up high in the sky added that extra excitement, AND also
    provided that "Weenie" that drew people into Tomorrowland!

The look of the new Astro Orbitor does actually look much neater than
    the old rocket jets, but it's current location creates a horrendous traffic
    situation, even when DL is nowhere near capacity! It's one giant traffic
    hazzard as it sits right now!

Quite frankly it's not even IN Tomorrowland. It sits in the hub area!
    It needs to BE in the Land it's a part of. TL did have a nice spacious
    look to it's entrance, until we got "Tomorrowland On the Rocks",
    and unfortunately, it's still suffering from the TL'98 Hangover.

And YES! TL used to have all those attractions that created that
    "World in Motion ~ Kinetic movement all around. With the Skyway,
    Rocket Jets, Monorail, Peoplemover, even the ground movement of Autopia,
    and the Subs traveling under water. All these attractions were outside,
    or partial outside, and created all the movement and excitement all around.

Unfortunately, Skyway closed, Subs Closed, the remodel of Autopia is much less
    than exciting, Peoplemover was converted to Rocket Rods, which was closed because construction was not done properly, the Monorail should have been replaced years ago,
    and the Rocket Jets were grounded and moved to the current roadblocking area.

Fortunately the Subs are coming back, and DL is getting a new set of
    Monorail vehicles. But that still leaves the empty Peoplemover track, Astro
    at ground level, no vehicles in the sky, so there is still a way to go before
    that kinetic feel is back.

People tend to have this feeling that Disney is only going to do one Resort project at a time. They are able to treat the parks differently. Just becasue they're fixing Disneyland doesn't mean DCA gets left behind.
    That said, the Astro Orbiter really is majestic, if it had a different color scheme and was located atop the RJ platform. It would look FANTASTIC up there.
    But it WEIGHS so darn much, that the platform can't hold it. So why not do what they were GOING to do for TL98 and refurbish the platform to hold the Orbiter. The ride system is brand new, and more sophisticated than the older attraction (i know, it spins and goes up and down, but things improve over time).
    So move the kinetic, majestic, cool structure (repainted) onto the platform while doing a massive retrofit of the structure. Who knows? Could we figure out something better than an ugly red elevator to get up there?

• Disneyland Freak

I can't imagine how Astro Orbitor is completely to blame for all the traffic in Tomorrowland. It being at the entrance does not cause traffic all the way down past the BLAB FastPass machines. If you go past the Astro Orbitor it is still choked with people because the walkways are cluttered with strollers and the PM support beams.

Lest we forget that recent history prior to TL98 the only thing to visit on that pathway was Rocket Jets, a museum type display (formerly CircleVision), and Star Tours.

Today we have Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, a popular attraction that cycles probably more than 1,000 people per hour. As a family dark ride it also brings lots of walkway-clogging strollers.

As with many places around Disneyland, the walkways are simply not wide enough. Yes Astro Orbitor might would cause bottle necks but not in both directions. There are simply too many people in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    People tend to have this feeling that Disney is only going to do one Resort project at a time. They are able to treat the parks differently. Just becasue they're fixing Disneyland doesn't mean DCA gets left behind.
    If you are addressing me, you misunderstood. I never said that the Resort would be at a standstill with all other projects if an Astro Orbitor relocation were to occur. Moving the attraction would be a waste of money. Money that could be more wisely spent for other, more important, projects. Quite different.
    Last edited by dlfreak; 10-14-2006 at 11:52 PM.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

• OM NOM NOM

I don't see how relocating the attraction would not be a waste of money when there are several other more important things that it could be funneled into.
    DCA just got a proposed budget of 650 MILLION for Lasseter's redesign. I wouldn't worry too much about Orbiter taking money from other projects, as it's obvious Disneyland's got a damn big funnel these days.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Disneyland Freak

Ok.

No funnels, no "stealing," no other projects, this time. Just plain simple:

Waste of money.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I can't imagine how Astro Orbitor is completely to blame for all the traffic in Tomorrowland. It being at the entrance does not cause traffic all the way down past the BLAB FastPass machines. If you go past the Astro Orbitor it is still choked with people because the walkways are cluttered with strollers and the PM support beams.

Lest we forget that recent history prior to TL98 the only thing to visit on that pathway was Rocket Jets, a museum type display (formerly CircleVision), and Star Tours.

Today we have Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, a popular attraction that cycles probably more than 1,000 people per hour. As a family dark ride it also brings lots of walkway-clogging strollers.

As with many places around Disneyland, the walkways are simply not wide enough. Yes Astro Orbitor might would cause bottle necks but not in both directions. There are simply too many people in the area.

You're right... Tomorrowland was congested before the arrival of the Astro Orbitor. But you know why? It's because there was so much great stuff to do in Tomorrowland back then!

Now it's congested because the Astro Orbitor forces everyone to walk in that specific path in which nobody but the regulars know how to navigate. It's a bottle neck right at that spot whether you want to believe it or not. Removing the Astro Orbitor would help big time.

Oh I'm sorry... it's also congested because of the rocks. So blaming the astro orbitor completely would be a mistake.

With the subs opening up next year, it's only gonna get worse.

And Mathius, sorry for assuming that everyone thinks it's an eyesore. I happen to think it doesn't belong there just as Aladdin (the poster not the character) said: it's not even IN Tomorrowland. Just look at the other entrances. You have Adventureland gate, Frontierland gate, Sleeping Beauty castle for Fantasyland, and then you have a loopdeeloop ride. It's a fine design for the ride itself, but not as an entryway to the land of Tomorrow.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast