• Never Look Back

Possible Solution to High Turnover of CMs...

I used to be a cast member at Disneyland during the 50th anniversary, and I loved it (still miss it...). Although it was anything but easy. I eventually had to quit, because they were unwilling to budge on my schedule during a packed school semester.

So I was thinking of a way that TDA could maybe stop the high turnover rate of CMs. Everyone knows that In & Out is known for great pay, and a great work environment. Raising wages for CMs may not be the answer for Disneyland's situation, but scheduling may be. They could make a name for themselves as the employer with the most flexibility when it comes to employee's scheduling needs.

I am sure that everyone knows that Disneyland CMs are on a point system, and if they receive too many, they are forced to quit etc. Now I am in no way saying the system is wrong, because it helps keep CMs responsible. Although the point system also punishes some of their best CMs, simply because their scheduling conflictions.

If they were more flexible, it would give CMs more of an incentive to stay employed at DLR. Here is where the changes come into play...

When a CM is first hired, they would start off with no points. As they begin to rack up points, they slowly lose their scheduling flexibility. This would help the good employees, and weed out all of the CMs that don't really care. CMs would be motivated to stay and show up, because they could keep their scheduling flexibility.

The plan was just a thought, and I know its not perfect. Although it might be able to help a bit. The biggest complaint from CMs when I was working there, was scheduling issues. If a hardworking CM has to miss a day for being sick, he shouldn't be penalized. If DLR could make a name for themselves as the schedule-friendly employer, they would attract and maintain a lot more CMs.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Re: Possible Solution to High Turnover of CMs...

It would also be nice if DL would stick to what was originally set up as a tentative schedule when the employee is hired. Have heard from other CM's that wanted part time only (20 hours or so), and was agreed upon when hired, but that eventually they were forced to work 40+ hours or quit. Of course they usually quit and get the hours the really want from another employer.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Never Look Back

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    It would also be nice if DL would stick to what was originally set up as a tentative schedule when the employee is hired. Have heard from other CM's that wanted part time only (20 hours or so), and was agreed upon when hired, but that eventually they were forced to work 40+ hours or quit. Of course they usually quit and get the hours the really want from another employer.
    You are exactly right! That is basically what happened to me, and a lot of other CMs. I eventually moved to another job, and got the hours that I needed for school. They could also save a lot of money, because they spend a ton to have a CM completely trained (only to have them quit months later...).

• I'm not really here

Wow... I wonder if there is some sort of legal course that CM's could take, en masse when forced to work more than the contracted hours or be terminated/quit. That's just wrong.

It definitely seems to me that the largest problem DLR is facing right now is Human Resources related. They really have got to come up with a solution, not just a fix, but a bonafide solution to this one and quick.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Blog Entries

Well luckily I am available for all hours because my classes are online. I just got hired there a couple of days ago and I am suppost to start working the beginning of november. I just hope that I get atleast the 40 hours I was promised since I was hired at a full time position.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Banned User

Oh you'll definately get 40 hours, probably more.

• Sea Monkey with money

I think that if a point system is in place, there should be a way to
    reduce those points through exceptional service. Be that through
    guest complments, working longer that scheduled in an emergency
    staffing situation, perhaps any type of extraodrinary act that
    proves they do care and are willing to make it up to the company.

As it stands now, points accumulate over the course of a year and they
    might as well have a revolving door in Casting.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Basking in birthday love

You know, I've never really had many problems with scheduling. I think my biggest annoyance with them is the not-quite-double-back (double-back is when you have less than eight hours between shifts, so you get double-time for everything within that eight hour period), so I'd get all of the exhaustion and none of the pay. I've told them I'm not available during the week, and that I don't want overtime, and so I get scheduled 20-25 hours a week, and my preferences are honored pretty well.

I think the key is communication. Whenever I've had issues with my schedule (couldn't work five days a week during spring break, needed to go home for Little Sis's graduation, got scheduled on a holiday my school didn't recognize, needed to futz with my schedule to accommodate a surprise visit from my mom), I simply went to scheduling and talked to them about it. In the two former cases, I gave them enough notice to be able to work out a solution that worked with both my schedule and the availability requirements, and in the latter cases, I was able to get management to approve a last-minute shift change, so I just traded with someone else to work on a different day. Most of the time, when I need some time off for a one-time thing, I just put in an RDO or shift preference, and I'm fine.

I do think that the point system is both too strict (it's the same number of points for being two minutes late as two hours late, which is ridiculous) and structured to keep seniority down. But honestly, I think most people who complain of difficulty with scheduling never tried talking to them to work out potential issues.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post

I do think that the point system is both too strict (it's the same number of points for being two minutes late as two hours late, which is ridiculous) and structured to keep seniority down.

In my last job it was the same way. If you were a few minutes late it counted as a tardy. I did not matter if you were 5 minutes late or 3 hours late. Because of that a lot of people if they were going to be late would go ahead and take their time and be an hour or so late or even more since they got the same punishment anyways.

• Disney Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    I do think that the point system is both too strict (it's the same number of points for being two minutes late as two hours late, which is ridiculous) and structured to keep seniority down. But honestly, I think most people who complain of difficulty with scheduling never tried talking to them to work out potential issues.
    The point system is actually really lienient (sp?). late is still late. i've told my cast who try to debate that point with me, when they are like 5-10 min late and someone else is hours late, that when we are slammed and i'm try to get the guest through as quickly as possible and trying to get my breaks on time, that 5 or 10 min still hurts the operation.

even if you have scheduling conflicts, you can work them out with scheduling or with your location managers, aside from shift changing with other cm's. if you put in the effort to get something changed you are usually not disapointed. if there are cm's who are in the position of calling in because of scheduling conflict are in that position due to themselves.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Alternatively, they could keep them all in a Temple of Doom-esque mine shaft, and force them to work nights.

Hard to leave when you are chained to a wall!!

Bwhahahaha!

Loomis, Employer of the Year, 1876
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Animatronic

Maybe they should schedule employees like airlines book flights. Let the employee log into the schedule data base and select desirable shifts before they fill up. Of course the employee could always pre-book a recurring shift to avoid the shift filling up. Management could program any criteria they wanted into filling shifts, for example, an employee must have so many hours experience to take the shift, the shift must run for so many hours. An employee could back out at any time (perhaps with some penalty in how early they could lock in shifts if abused) and "stand-by" employees could take the shift. Since we are talking cast members putting on a show here, some creative time management seems wise.

^That is what they do for CMs at WDW. I think once a year, CMs bid for shifts based on their seniority, and then that is their schedule for the year. For part-time student CMs, they just need to talk with their manager and scheduler prior to classes starting to shift around schedules as needed. I can see where this may be tougher to do at DL, since they do not have the same "fillers" (a.k.a. College Program CMs) whom are simply scheduled whenever they are needed.

Also at WDW there are rare opportunities to work off points, otherwise they do expire after so long.