Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Should Disneyland change park hours to 9 pm daily?

Keep it open 24 hours and we could thin out the lines better.

With my work schedule being 7 days a week, my AP is rendered useless.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Rock Star Minion

It would be only APer's coming after work. Little to no revenue, yet the park still has costs for that extra hour.

Sure, there is a demand for a free hour or two of park fun.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Comparing Disneyland to Target and Walmart is a ridiculous and ineffective analogy in so many ways.
    Of course it's obsurd, but the point still stands. People don't go to bed as early as they used to and it'd be nice to have longer hours during the "off" season.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• done

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Of course it's obsurd, but the point still stands.
    The analogy is stupid, but it's still a good point? Ummm, no, but thanks for playing.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    The analogy is stupid, but it's still a good point? Ummm, no, but thanks for playing.
    Who spit in your Gibson Girl? =P

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

yes they should, coming from the Valley and after work on weekdays, it would compensate the time in traffic at least!!!

and allow me to eat more

I think it's been hard enough on the Park being open until 8pm weekdays the last several years vs. the old 6pm in the off season, but then again, it's true that there is no longer an off season.

What I'd like to see even more than longer hours is everything in the park remaning open the full amount of hours that the park is open. Saturday 10/14 was PACKED beyond belief and there was nowhere (good) to eat after 8pm. Do they have any clue how much revenue is being lost by not making meals available?

• For You!

We go in the off season once, maybe twice a year. Just because I hate crowds, and that's when Disney offers the good travel agent deals. I personally hate the closing at 8 p.m. Now, yes, you can stay on Main Street until 9 p.m. - I agree, an extra hour would be great. The morning time is perfect. We can sleep in, go get breakfast and take it easy. But, with DCA closing at 6 p.m. It's just too early!! I love the parks at night and I think they're really doing a diservice to all the beautiful night time features.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

The only reason I go during the peak season is that Disneyland is a completly different (and better) place after dark. I love walking the park at night and riding BTMRR, Splash, Matterhorn, and even most interior dark rides better at night.

I would love to be able to come down in October, November, January, and February and have the park open until 9 or 10 on weeknights. I would be there open to close like I am most days that I visit the parks. I would also like to see DCA extend their hours. Six is much too early to close. If you are at DL and blink DCA has opened and closed and you never got to ride Soarin', ITTBAB, TOT, or Monsters Inc.
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    They should extend park hours by an hour. There is no off season anymore as I found out this past week.
    And I find that sad, somehow, in some ways...there seems to be no off season in life, in general anymore sometimes...

I mean thr following as an observation, not a bash, please...

Annual pass sales have indeed done much to obliterate the difference between season and off-season.

But to suggest that AP's get their "hour or two of free fun" without paying, is not true. They have paid their admission and parking, and Disney management knows full well how many times many of the AP's will be used, and they know that they will still make money hand over fist.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And I find that sad, somehow, in some ways...there seems to be no off season in life, in general anymore sometimes...

Totally agree. Back when I was in school, off season really felt like off season and the holidays really felt like holidays. Having an AP in high school was nice because my friends and I would just cruise on over after school and the place was completely empty. We rode whatever we want with barely any wait... and this was before the fastpass nonsense!

But now, I'm working a 9-6 job every day with only major holidays off. Of course I have vacation days but it's not quite the same as having an entire summer off or 2 weeks around Christmas. So I try to go to the park whenever I possibly can.

I feel that Disneyland has grown up along with me in that the park too has become much busier and in need of a break.

So what's the solution?

I suggested an extra hour so I can enjoy the park more often. But that doesn't solve the bigger picture of the place being packed everyday. Should disney reduce the amount of annual passes sold? They're already making the premiums way pricier to keep most households from partaking.

I dunno.

DCA definitely needs a lot more to pull the extra crowds and take some of the work off from Disneyland that's for sure.

• It's all nonsense

So what's the solution?
    There are only two solutions that I can think of.

1) Make DCA a viable park option to spend all day in. Including gatebusting shows/parades. This will in turn take some of the crowds away from DL. Thin things out.

2) Increase prices. This will limit both the casual visitors number of trips in a year, and also the flood of APs.

• Rock Star Minion

Annual pass sales have indeed done much to obliterate the difference between season and off-season.
    Duh! I've been saying that since before micechat was born! (Over on mousepad.)
    But to suggest that AP's get their "hour or two of free fun" without paying, is not true. They have paid their admission and parking, and Disney management knows full well how many times many of the AP's will be used, and they know that they will still make money hand over fist.

--Barry
    Yes, it's mostly true. Sure, it's been paid, but it was already paid. My method of determining how much of an AP price should be allocated to a specific visit is as follows:
    1. First visit = 1/2 of the cost.
    2. Second visit = 1/4 of the cost.
    3. Third visit = 1/8 of the cost.
    4. Fourth visit = 1/16 of the cost.
    And so on. This method allows each APer's cost to be "amortized" in an equal manner. As you can see, the first few visits are considered pretty expensive. But the allocation method also allows there to be some part of the cost not allocated, no matter how often you go (subject to rounding, of course).
    Also, since there is generally a marginal drop in utility with each visit, this method reflects that as well.
    In this manner of thinking, yes, every AP who enters the park has "paid" some amount to enter. How much it is really depends on how often they've been so far.

Lastly, APer's dropping in on the park for the final few hours probably puts a strain on resources (CMs and such). If 5000 APers come (and a higher number probably came back when "snow" was introduced at the holiday parade), that could be a 50% increase from the expected number.

I think DL makes the most money off of AP sales when they're not used as much. That's why they're pushed as holiday gifts. People often give gifts that the recipient won't use.

So what's the solution?
    Phase out the AP Program. That's one solution. A painful solution for most of the folks on this board, and the mere thought of it is painful to many (based on past incidences of this solution being proposed).
    It wouldn't be so bad if only 40,000 or so people had APs. But it's 610,000+! Not all of these APer's are spending hundreds of dollars each visit as some might claim.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if only 40,000 or so people had APs. But it's 610,000+! Not all of these APer's are spending hundreds of dollars each visit as some might claim.

I can't speak for the rest on this board, but a lot of the stuff they try to sell to us is pure junk. BUT... I definitely do my fair shair of spending when they have something worth getting. Whether it be artwork, those olszewski Disneyland replica miniatures, or star tours merch. I don't spend a ton each visit but there's days where I'd spend as much as 5 families combined.

scary thought!

But yah I agree. Too many annual passes sold and they have raised the prices considerably...and I don't think it's working. The lines for passes are as long as ever.

My theory is that the park has gotten so crowded that people resort to buying annual passes so they can come back and do the stuff they've missed. And the result is more AP visitors and more new guests buying APs. It'll never end.

BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER. That'll take eat up a lot of people and won't take up any extra space.

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    That's the best example really, as it illustrates supply and demand.

I think the verying hours work largely to their favour, as too much of a good thing could turn sour. It is annoying if you want to go on a particular day and the hours are limited, but it makes the longer days all that more 'special'.
    I think it makes the longer days, that more crowded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast