Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Year of a Million Dreams Observations

So this weekend I saw many people recieve prizes from the YOAMD. There are two problems I noticed, one is somewhat dependant on the other.

First off is the lack of explanation of what is going on. If I hadn't read about it on the internet I wouldn't have known what was going on.

Second. The lack of knowledge of what was going on led to people thinking that they were just giving things away to anyone. Prizes given away in a crowd led to minor chaos.

Anyone else notice this?

• I'm not really here

Re: Year of a Million Dreams Observations

Hmm... interesting side effect of the promotion. I wouldn't have thought of that. Wonder how they'll counter it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Incognito

Blog Entries

All I know is, I saw LOTS of people with that magic Fastpass dealy all day yesterday.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

We got the Dream Fastpass the last day of our trip to Disneyland. They were handing them out under the castle walkway on our way to Fantasy Land. They gave one to all three of us and there was a little line for some others to get one. No one really knew what was going on because several people walked right by us and did not even notice what was going on. I don't know what they could do to change it, but they need to do something.
    Foolish Mortal

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    I don't know what they could do to change it, but they need to do something.
    At least have a blurb about it on the map/daily schedule. I didn't notice anything on those.

• Banned User

There should be some type of explanation somewhere that these are random handouts.. my friends know nothing of this new promotion I think only people on the web really know lol.

• Senior Minion

I have to say that if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have known either. It might be a good idea, like suggested, that they put something about it on their maps or events schedule so people know about what is going on.

• Disneyland or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Second. The lack of knowledge of what was going on led to people thinking that they were just giving things away to anyone. Prizes given away in a crowd led to minor chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Hmm... interesting side effect of the promotion. I wouldn't have thought of that. Wonder how they'll counter it.
    Seriously? I mean no offense, but seriously, this surprises you?

That was the first thing I thought of when details came out of how prizes were being passed out: "The first 25 people exiting such-and-so ride at 1:27pm will get Dream FP's..." My first thought was, Boy, I'll bet it's a matter of time before you start getting complaints from 1)people who didn't get one of the prizes and don't understand it wasn't "favoritism" or something from the CM, and 2) people who get in the middle of a pushy crowd of people vying for whatever the prize is and DON'T get one when they should have (because someone pushed in front of them). Geez, I've had people around me pushing and shoving me for much less (lines for rides, etc).

Seriously, I'm not at all surprised. If no one knows why they're giving away these FP's, lanyards, hats, etc (thinking of the prizes where they give away multiples at a time, not one where they can quietly take aside the person who won a bigger prize), of course there will be chaos when a CM starts handing out prizes. If it's not being publicized, the CM's need to have flyers or something they hand out at the time of a prize distribution, so people at least understand why not EVERYONE is getting whatever the prize is.
    "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer

• Disney Family, San Diego

I saw them twice at the park last Wednesday, but yes, if you didn't know about it from the web, you'd never know what was going on.

It's a weird system, and I don't think they're going to enjoy the negative feedback from angry tourists who feel like they got passed over.

My wife had no idea what YOAMD was all about until I told her. And we have annual passes. So I can imagine tourists are clueless, and things will probably get ugly if they don't work out a better system.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving isn't for you!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Wow, I feel like I'm kind of "in the know" when it comes to stuff at DL (more than the average tourist at least) & I didn't realize they were passing out the prizes like that. I'm not one to barge in on something like that if I'm just passing by, so due to my nature I would tend to miss out, I guess. I wonder why they aren't doing something like the scratch off cards they did for the Honda give-away. This sounds like it's going to get problematic fast.
    <o>

• I love this place!

We ran into YOAMD twice this past trip (15th-17th).

First, we had just come through the turnstiles and were entering through the left-hand tunnel when we saw a mass of people. I thought it must be a crowd waiting for a character, but moseyed on over anyway and scored 2 sets of the new mouse-ears. Felt very happy about that.

Then on Monday, we were exiting POTC and ran into another jam-up. They were giving out the Dream Fastpasses, but ran out just as we got to the front of the crowd. Felt like we really missed out, but we understood what was going on because of our first experience, and what I had read here.

I think they are really going to have some problems on their hands when the wrong person/people either miss out on getting a freebie, or run over people as they try to force their way to the front. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary pushing and jostling going on.

Maybe they should confine the gift giving to more select areas, like for example; everyone in the Tiki Room gets something after the doors close, or everyone on a particular Jungle Cruise Boat gets something as they get off the boat, where they can be sure they have a prize for everybody.

Just a thought...

• I met Walt Disney!

Funny, but I have only seen things being handed out before noon. Has anyone seen prizes awarded later in the day or the evening? My kids received the fastpasses, but my wife and I didn't get anything. Bummer.

It just goes to show you how badly planned out this promotion is.

First of all how is giving random prizes to handful of people make a diference if this promotion will accomplish what they wanted to accomplish. (Basically keep the high attendance from lastyears 50th global up).

The people that are already in the park went without knowing of the promotion so what purpose does it serve. Yes it makes those people feel special but are they suppose to run home and spread the news that free gifts are given out and entice them to visit the parks.

Is no surprise that rumors are flying around that Jay rasulo is on his last few weeks of employment.

Good ridence

• Sock Puppet

Anyone else noticed that the music used in the TV ad campaign for "DisneyParks"/YOAMD is from Universal's live-action Peter Pan? Wha???

It's good music and it's not at all inappropriate, but with 50-60 years of great music to pull from internally, why would they give away money to a competitor to license this music?

I guess it's possible that through some quirky circumstance they DO own the music, but it seems doubtful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast