Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disney Parks to Serve Healthier Foods - w/ Details

Alright! More people headed to Downtown Disney for a decent tasting meal. House of Blues, Jazz Kitchen and Rainforest Café is gonna love this.

• "714"

Speaking of Healthier foods..I was at the park yesterday in the candy palace and candy Kitchen and I saw that they sale Mickey Engery Bars, Trail mix, Nuts and i want to say dried Fruit or some sort of a Fruit snacks . I dont know how long these have been sold in the park but it was my first time seeing them yesterday. I think its pretty cool they sold this kind of stuff, it was nice to see.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Definitely a step in the right direction, and good to see. And while yes, parents do have the ultimate responsibility, companies such as Disney share responsibility too through the way their products are produced and marketed.

And, after looking in my own mirror, and at various other folk in the parks, dare I say the children are not the only ones who could benefit.

And I think that a vegetarian-dominant menu restaurant could do quite nicely in DTD, or a part of the "California Adventure"... I've eaten in many such restaurants, and if done well the food is quite good!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And, after looking in my own mirror, and at various other folk in the parks, dare I say the children are not the only ones who could benefit.
    I was actually thinking the same thing when I first read the thread! I just did not dare say it
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Disney to serve healthier food at parks

Ooh, let's hope that means a garden of vegetarian delights.

Hey, now THERE is an idea for an attraction!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Me and Ilovevmk as elves

I don't like this idea. It takes away the unhealthyness of Disneyland, and makes it a little closer to being under mommy and daddy's control.

"Son, now don't eat those french fries there. Here, have some brocolli."
    "But Mom!"
    "No buts, now eat your brocolli."

It was always a joy to walk around with a bag of overly-buttered popcorn, or an overly-sugared churro. Now we walk around with celery...an no peanut butter!!!

I wonder what they are going to have to cut out!??!?!!

• Professional Chocoholic

MORE VEGETARIAN DISHES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring back Gardenburgers!!!

• Professional Chocoholic

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    Little red wagon corn dogs are healthy right? Please say yes! I need my dogs!
    Morningstar Farms makes vegetarian corn dogs that have I think 60% less fat than regular corn dogs. I have them in my freezer right now... 8-)

MORE VEGETARIAN DISHES AT DISNEYLAND PLEASE!!!

I hate pretty much all the food at Disneyland, and I dread mealtimes because the choices I and my 9-year-old son have are pretty much junk off the carts, nachos with beans, cheese pizza, children's pasta (which is awful), or the disgustingly greasy Stouffer's veggie lasagna which is a heart attack on a plate. YUCK.

They used to have Gardenburgers but discontinued them because nobody was psychic enough to know that they could special order them at the regular burger places (I thought to ask and was able to get one a few years back). Why can't they have things from Morningstar or Boca or Gardenburger??? I'd happily pay extra! Just leave off the mushrooms, I'm alergic. 8-(

I wish I could bring my kitchen from home and cook something delicious and healthy when I visit the park! But I'm very very very happy to hear about this new change in eating options, especially for my omnivorous husband who does try really hard to keep fat to 30% or less, but at DL right now it's just about impossible.

• Rock Star Minion

I like how it's going to take them 15 months to eliminate trans fats from the food.

I'm formulating a promotion not unlike the "Glow Away" MSEP one... Stay tuned.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Haunted Mansion Lover

They already have some healthy choices, but they are not in Disneyland. If you go to Whitewater Snacks you can get very healthy foods that taste good also. We got a PB and Jelly sandwich for my 5 year old daughter and it came with strawberries and a Mickey head cookie. She loved it. We opted for the not so healthy chicken nachos which was hands down the best food we have ever had at Disneyland.
    Foolish Mortal

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    Little red wagon corn dogs are healthy right? Please say yes! I need my dogs!
    They can be quite healthy in moderation with a few simple changes - Start with a low-fat Kosher Dog (no "variety meats" or fillers inside) and a simple corn batter mix that isn't full of junk like MSG and preservatives, then fry in a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Keep the cooking temperatures and times optimum, and have the cooling area well drained so the batter doesn't have a chance to soak up any excess oil.

Same thing with other menu changes - they pump the stuff full of MSG disguised under the code-word "hydrolyzed vegetable protein" because they think that's what makes it sell. It's a lot easier and cheaper to dump in some MSG and fool the customer's tastebuds into thinking it's tasty than it is to put real flavor inside.

Problem with getting them to leave out the MSG is pure paranoia, "If we don't do it the competition will, and they will steal our market share..."

And food manufacturers pick their cooking oils and fats more for being cheap than healthy. Taste can swing the decision either way, but then the bean-counters speak and price usually overrides that.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• decorating

if they made the fruit and water cheaper, more people would buy it.
    I love the fact tghey want to go healthy, but a theme park is to enjoy, not to be on a diet (unless you have to have only certain things!)

• DCA lover

I am happy they are trying to have healthier items, though considering the sugar guidelines, I fear that they will start loading everything up with artificial sweeteners instead.

But the big thing--Trans Fats. I am SOOOOOOO glad they are eliminating these, as I often cringe at the amount of trans fat I am eating because of the widespread use of hydrogenated oils these days. They are hard to avoid eating out, especially the type of foods commonly served at theme parks. Kudos to Disney on this.
    Last edited by Hippie; 10-16-2006 at 04:49 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anime_goddess View Post
    They used to have Gardenburgers but discontinued them because nobody was psychic enough to know that they could special order them at the regular burger places (I thought to ask and was able to get one a few years back). Why can't they have things from Morningstar or Boca or Gardenburger??? I'd happily pay extra! Just leave off the mushrooms, I'm alergic. 8-(
    If the veggie burger I had at Hungry Bear was a Gardenbrger (etc) then i'm glad they took it off!! 15 extra minutes and that thing was so hard and dry I couldn't eat it.

I wonder how the prices will change in this...
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast