• Having a Grand Day!

Grand Californian Hotel - After the Fire

I just realised - we never got an update as to if the beautiful carpet (In the Grand Hall) that was damaged in the Christmas fire has been replaced at the Grand Californian. (I know, I forgot about my favorite Disney hotel!) Does anybody have any news or photos of the new carpet? (Maybe Darkbeer? He did some great coverage of the recovery effors from the fire back in December) I'm also guessing all the other renovations at the hotel have finished, right?

• Functional & Decorative

Re: Grand Californian Hotel - After the Fire

The carpet is simply a solid, dull brown all the way through. It no longer continues the design from the marble around it. It doesn't necessarily look bad--if you didn't know it continued the design in the first place, you probably wouldn't think anything of it. Very nondescript. But for those of us who do remember, it is very sad to see. Still, I seem to remember hearing that the original carpet was a one-of-a-kind, so I didn't really expect them to be able to replace it.

I just stayed at the hotel, and didn't notice any other differences. Still looks nice... but nothing different that I can tell.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

A few weeks ago, when Hubster and I visited the Resort, we walked through the GCH lobby and commented on the carpet...since it's been nearly a year since the fire. We wondered if they had scrapped the idea of having the patterned carpet or maybe the lead time on such a large, custom item is verrrrrrrrrry long. I guess it would make sense that the carpet would take a year or so to make...
    When the Great Hotels special was on, Samantha Brown made a point to mention the carpet and how the pattern continued from the marble floor.
    It would be a shame if they just settled for the brown, commercial grade carpet. Yuck.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Maybe the brown commercial grade carpet is less flammable, and the carpet is an annual tradition.

As I am now thinking 'blow the expense' and considering a stay at the GCH next time I'm in the 'hood, I was thinking about the fire the other day. I did manage to catch a look at the lobby September last year, a few months before the fire. It is largely on that basis that I want to stay at the hotel.

Still, carpet or no, the Hotel is still one of the most beautiful I've seen.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Having a Grand Day!

I'm going to email them and ask - The CM who took me on the Tour said it would definatly be replaced!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Like others have said, the carpet is dull, but isn't anything that is distracting to the casual visiter.

One thing that I did notice after the fire was the color of the ceilings. I do believe before the pyro display, the vaulted cieling color was white. After the fire, they seemed to repaint the panels a light sage green color. I don't know. Maybe I just never noticed this color before, but I think that they used the paint to cover over any smoke discoloration.

The carpet in the lobby is the same as the carpets in the individual rooms.

I can see a gradual chipping away at the Grand Californian.

Inside the rooms, they changed the Armoires---which were very special---the original ones --- as they matched the forest design of the bed board.

Everything always gets downgraded over time, that's why it's important to stay somewhere right when it opens and everything's fresh and new...

...4 years later, it's a completely different hotel.

• That Guy

Do you think people who had to evacuate from the hotel, got a free night or anything cool?

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Do you think people who had to evacuate from the hotel, got a free night or anything cool?
    They got a free night.

I'm really bummed about this carpet - hopefully the Answer from Guest Relations isn't what I think it's going to be.

Yeah, got a free room for the night, but still had to check out at 11:00 AM and start driving home after a few hours of sleep. They did let us stay until 2:00 PM though.

I wonder if they will put a tree up this year? Maybe the figure keep this carpet in case the new tree catches fire or come crashing down as in years past. That's of course if they have a tree.