Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The disneyland soda fountain

Hi,

I will be in LA the day before Thanksgiving. My friend told me about the Disney soda fountain next door to the El Capitan movie theater. I want to check it out. Problem is, it's in downtown Hollywood. For you LA locals, what is traffic like downtown Hollywood mid afternoon? Is it a nightmare?
    has anyone been to this soda fountain? Is it worth seeing?

any info

thanks
    jan
    Janette

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The disneyland soda fountain

Just avoid the mornings, lunch, and evening 5-7pm and you should be fine.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• no flash photography...

traffic is always there, but I'm so used to driving in it I amy not be a good judge on whats really bad. the soda fountain was ok....nothing I would write home about. The lady working there was VERY nice...

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    Hi,

I will be in LA the day before Thanksgiving. My friend told me about the Disney soda fountain next door to the El Capitan movie theater. I want to check it out. Problem is, it's in downtown Hollywood. For you LA locals, what is traffic like downtown Hollywood mid afternoon? Is it a nightmare?
    has anyone been to this soda fountain? Is it worth seeing?

any info

thanks
    jan
    day before a 4 day weekend will start to get busy early - around 3 PM. If you get on the fwy after 9 AM and get back on by 2:30 you should be fine. And BTW - traffic on surface streets in Hollywood is never easy IMO
    Minnietoo

• Minion

It's great in my opinion. I went when there was a PotC theme and there were pirates on stilts. It has good ice cream. They have a nondairy option that they gave to me for free.
    The daydream princess

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Just avoid the mornings, lunch, and evening 5-7pm and you should be fine.

ok whats left? 2-4 and 7-10?

in other words it's gonna be busy.
    Janette

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

It's always busy pretty much. If you go between 10-11:30am, that's always a pretty safe time too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "Always On The Move..."

Also just park across the street at the Kodak Center...(I think that's the name)... The HUGE Hollywood-esc Mall type thingy..(LOL)

Anyways..get your parking ticket validated and it should be free parking for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

This area is always busy. You can park underground across the street at the "Hollywood & Highland" complex. The El Capitan will not validate, but it should cost you under $10. Your car will be safe, the structure is relatively easy to access and you're directly across the street from the El Cap.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Hmmm. The day before Thanksgiving, people are going to be leaving work early and taking off for the holiday. On the other hand, you can hope that everyone leaves on Tuesday and gets a head start out of town.
    A signature should go here.

As Tom Chaney and AlohaStitch suggest, it's a good idea to park at the Hollywood and Highland shopping complex (that's the name) which houses the Kodak Theatre. The Disney Soda Fountain and Studio Store (no Disneyland connection) WILL validate H&H parking. Enter off Highland to park as it's always a crawl on Hollywood Boulevard take the escalators to the street level and cross over to the Disney Soda Fountain. It's definitely worth a visit.

The ice cream is homemade by Dewars of Bakersfield, California and the desserts are delicious. They also have a new food menu with Lady and the Tramp spaghetti, Mickey Mouse peanut butter and jelly, and sandwiches. But the sundaes are the best. I think they serve Starbucks coffee. The store has exclusive pins and mostly corporate Disney merchandise, not enough exclusive, though some of the DVDs are priced better than amazon. They have many of the classics and a kiosk to order more obscure titles.

If you're not going to the movies at El Capitan, there's Grauman's Chinese Theater across the street which is great and more theaters in the H&H complex. A cautionary note: the street performers can be kinda gamy and those dressed up in Marilyn, Elvis and Superman costumes are not screened. But the Soda Fountain and Studio Store is a blast. Have fun and try to get there as early as possible.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Just wanted to agree with those saying to get in and out of Hollywood as soon as you can.

Any more, LA traffic is bad pretty much any time of day. The day before Thanksgiving is quite often worse than your average Friday afternoon...meaning very tough.

A word to the wise..Not sure exactly where you are going to or from, but avoid the 405 like the plague...especially in the area of LAX.

Have a great time, though, at the Fountain! I've heard it's great.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Just wanted to agree with those saying to get in and out of Hollywood as soon as you can.

Any more, LA traffic is bad pretty much any time of day. The day before Thanksgiving is quite often worse than your average Friday afternoon...meaning very tough.

A word to the wise..Not sure exactly where you are going to or from, but avoid the 405 like the plague...especially in the area of LAX.

--Barry
    Im gonna have to chime in as well and say do it as fast as you can. I avoid that area as much as possible between thanksgiving and new years.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Talking Re: The disneyland soda fountain

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

--Barry
    I will be coming up the 5 from san diego/no idea what freeways I need. Map Quest will tell me. Thanks for the info.

can't wait to give it a try
    Janette

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I will be coming up the 5 from san diego/no idea what freeways I need. Map Quest will tell me. Thanks for the info.

can't wait to give it a try
    OFF TOPIC:

I would trust directions from people here a lot more than Mapquest. Maybe it's just me, but half the time mapquest takes me way out of the way, with bad directions.

And if you wish, I'm sure there are several people here that would be more than happy to help.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast