Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: So if this Harry Potter rumor pans out. . .

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    cellerhound, although I completely agree w/ your bottom line, you have a fundamental error: Time-Warner only owns the movies rights, Scholastic owns the book rights. To the best of my knowledge, JK Rowlings still owns the theme park rights. So Time-Warner's legal agreements w/ Six Flags has no bearing on this issue.

But I still agree with your bottom line: at this time, HP isn't likely to
    come to any WDC park.
    I am not certain I agree with this... "Theme-park" rights? You gotta be kidding me... It would seem to me JK Rowling would still stick to Six Flags, because of the relationship with Time/Warner...

I will tell you why? What images would be used if a HP attraction was to be made? Time/Warners?

Cold day in hades when that is going to happen...

----

When LucasFilms made a deal to produce Star Wars with MGM, Lucas did something un-herd of - he retained all marketing rights... you could say he was truly independant... His relationship with Eisner and Kats came through production of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... I am sure Eisner and Kats where trying to get Lucas and Spielberg in the fold so to speak... It worked with mixed results... But it did bag Disney Rodger Rabbit. The relationship spawned Disney/MGM Studios - Which is how disney got theme park rights to Twilight Zone...

The waters are muddy when you do things like this...
    Check out my other blog:

• Genteel Amphibian

I'm torn I realy do like Harry Potter a lot, however I can see no possible way that it could be included into fantasy land or any other part of Disneyland for that mater.

CA is another sotory but, I still think the would be extreamly difficult without a special themed area.

Rowling (as far as i know) owns the theme park rights, and i think she would be in the same mind-frame as lucas was all those years ago: if her series was to be made into an attraction (or multiple ones), it would have to be done right and by the best in the industry. and i think theres no doubt that when it comes the themed attractions, no body does it better than disney.

also, there was a lot of puzzlement 20+ years ago when Star Tours debuted: "what does star wars have to do with disney?"

and over time, the two franchises have become intertwined to a degree. by that i mean that there is no more asking of that question, people have accepted and embraced any and all star wars related attractions as being "Disney".

i guess my point is that over time, the same could happen to the HP series. all HP attractions would become synonomous (i suck at spelling btw, so i dunno if i got that one right lol) with being Disney, while the books and (to an extent) the movies would be thought of as being Rowling's.

we'll see what happens i guess, but i'd love to see a large indoor land, themed to being the insides of Hogwarts. as you walk along, going from attraction to attraction, pictures smile and wave at you, statues of gargoyles whisper at you, all sorts of stuff to really make you feel as if you're actually attending that school, then have 7 attractions, one themed to each book. some could be dark rides, others just simple spinning rides (teacups, sunwheel, i dunno you get the idea, not all 7 have to be huge big budget projects, maybe books 1, 4, 5, and 7 get that special treatment, 2, 3, and 6 get more minor rides, i'll have to think about this some more)

as to where in one of the parks this could go....again i'll have to think about it, but if it's being themed to an all new land, and not just a lone attraction, it could work somewhere in DL (or one of the other magic kingdom parks around the world)
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I can totally see a big, grand Hogwarts-themed facade in Fantasyland - we already have several different themed facades, all meshed perfectly together overthere. Why not one more?

The only problem is space. Where would this go? Remove the Fantasyland Theatre for the project? Get rid of a couple of the classic dark rides?

I don't see this fitting anywhere else inside of Disneyland other than in Fantasyland.

The only other place would be in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, and adding in another attraction based on the events or characters of a film or show rather than the movie making process in a Hollywood backlot would certainly seal the deal for the death of that land's theme.

Other than that, a Harry Potter attraction has nowhere to go at Disneyland, unless we get a whole new land out of it - but where's the space? I suppose they could transform the Big Thunder Ranch area into a whole new land - it could certainly work, but that area is so closely tied to the Frontierland area that it wouldn't make much sense...

It's difficult, and at this point I think the only place a Harry Potter attraction could fit in a Disney park is somewhere in Walt Disney World.

I do think that Harry Potter would be an amazing addition to the Disney theme park roster. To say that it wouldnt work because it has no ties to Disney is wrong - we have Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure and those two attractions are (or were at some point) some of the most popular attractions at Disneyland even though they had no ties to Disney at all.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The ties between Lucas, Harry Potter, and even Narnia (since disney has the rights to that film franchise) is that they're synonamous (sp?) with family entertainment. And that's all that it comes down to. Disney knows their market and the same kids that would wanted to come to a Disney park for Disney and PIxar characters would grow up to want and see other such characters too.

Hehe... imagine if the folks at Disney would have just allowed Peter Jackson to make all three Lord of the Rings on their own label. They didn't want to take the risk of making all three films and then it got picked up by New Line... which I believe is ALSO owned by Warner Bros. In some alternate universe out there, Lord of the Rings would have been a Disney attraction also.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    What does Harry potter have to do with disney?
    What do Indiana Jones or Star Wars have to do with Disney??

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Roman View Post
    http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...0/20/6345.aspx

So -- faced with a denial like that -- am I now going to change my story?
    No.
    There is a letter of intent, folks. I'm certain of it.
    As to why I'm certain ... I can't say any more without revealing who my sources on this story actually are. And I'm not going to do that because ... Well, if I did that, I'd wind up destroying a friend's career. And I'm not going do that just so I can prove to a bunch of Harry Potter fans that what I posted on Monday is actually true.
    Why does this picture come to mind....

First he told the world it was Disney - and he got is SLAMMED in his face that he was wrong. Now he is telling us there really is a letter... just not for Disney. I take this as yet another (in the very numerous) example of why not to believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Next he will be saying a letter of intent was intended for somebody that intended to work for a theme park......

This thread should really be moved OUT of the Diney forum as it has nothing to do with Disney.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The Harry Potter universe should have a theme park of it's own IMO. There's way too many possibilities to make one single ride.

Hmm...DCA anybody?
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 10-21-2006 at 07:38 PM.

• Stop global whining!!!!!!

Back to the Future buildings needs a new ride.

Visit me at: Gabriel Felton

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by SoCAFalcon View Post

Back to the Future buildings needs a new ride.
    I thought they were putting The Simpsons in there?

• Genteel Amphibian

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I can totally see a big, grand Hogwarts-themed facade in Fantasyland - we already have several different themed facades, all meshed perfectly together overthere. Why not one more?

The only problem is space. Where would this go? Remove the Fantasyland Theatre for the project? Get rid of a couple of the classic dark rides?

I don't see this fitting anywhere else inside of Disneyland other than in Fantasyland.

The only other place would be in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, and adding in another attraction based on the events or characters of a film or show rather than the movie making process in a Hollywood backlot would certainly seal the deal for the death of that land's theme.

Other than that, a Harry Potter attraction has nowhere to go at Disneyland, unless we get a whole new land out of it - but where's the space? I suppose they could transform the Big Thunder Ranch area into a whole new land - it could certainly work, but that area is so closely tied to the Frontierland area that it wouldn't make much sense...

It's difficult, and at this point I think the only place a Harry Potter attraction could fit in a Disney park is somewhere in Walt Disney World.

I do think that Harry Potter would be an amazing addition to the Disney theme park roster. To say that it wouldnt work because it has no ties to Disney is wrong - we have Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure and those two attractions are (or were at some point) some of the most popular attractions at Disneyland even though they had no ties to Disney at all.

Yes! thats how they could fix DCA make it Hiarry Potter land, This would be great. (sorry if I put words in your mouth.)

• Now 40% less bitter!

Being the total Harry Potter geek that I am (Ravenclaw, baby!), I would love to see an attraction or theme park devoted to the entire series. However, I agree with those who say it wouldn't really fit in the Anaheim property. There's probably loads more acreage in Florida, but I still don't know if one would be put there.
    The reason I think this is because J.K. has been very big on keeping her series British. People have asked her in interviews (especially after the fourth book) if she planned on having any American students introduced in the series. She has answered these questions with a resounding "no". Basically, she states that anyone else can write stories about American witches and wizards if they'd like, but this is her story and she's only covering European witches and wizards. In casting the films, only actors from the UK have been cast. Remember the hoopla when it was rumored that Haley Joel Osment might be cast as Harry for the first film?
    This is why I'd be real surprised if something was built for Harry Potter out here. Maybe there would be something in the UK? Isn't it Jay Rasulo's big plan to put more theme parks around the world?
    Of course, there is a picture of J.K. hugging Goofy on her official website, so who knows?
    Oo-de-lally!

Harry Potter they cant be serious can they, shouldn't that stay with Warner Bro's Movie world or somthing, i dont really think it would fit with Disneyland that much.

and with
    What do Indiana Jones or Star Wars have to do with Disney??
    They wern't WB so yeh, its not like they made a 20th Century Fox Land lol
    and i guess somone had to make a Ride of these 2

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    I have never read a Harry Potter book, but I have seen some of the movies with my kids. The best way to incorporate Harry's world into DL/DCA would be to create an entire land. I would say that they could build a new park on an alternate piece of property or they could rip out ToonTown and replace it with Hogwarts (or whatever the school is named). They could have a dark ride, a quidditch coaster, maybe some sort of walk through, maybe a hedge maze or something. It could be a fun new land at the resort. It just doesn't seem like a single ride would fit in very well.
    Now, there's an idea for DCA! Just turn the whole ex-parking lot into Harry Potter land! (no, really!)

Put in the Hogwart's Express in a circle around it just as the Disneyland RR is over there.

Change Soarin' into Soarin' over England/Hogwart's/all the other schools we saw in the last film.

The (empty, silent, unused) lagoon could have those underwater pirate ships periodically surfacing.

Screamin' could have something to do with Quidditch.

ToT could easily stay with just a little retheming.

There's a joke somewhere about changing Golden Dreams into the Screaming Shack . . .

C'mon guys, I know you can do better - what else do we do to change DCA into HPH (Harry Potter's Hogwarts)?
    okerry

• Comin' at ya!

My guess would be that there would be broomstick like cars. Kinda like a peter pan type right, with the high view. Either that or we would ride the hipogrif

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast