Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Banning Trans-Fat at Disney Parks?

There have been confirmed reports that Disney plans to eliminate all Trans-Fats in their food by 2008. Secondly, sources have said they plan to bring in more healthy options into their meals. I told this to my Aunt, and she thinks that Disney understands the influence of their characters on children, and decided they didn't want to have an endorsement with unhealthy sponsors (McDonald's, anyone?). Even though this is great for them, I find it a little ironic since Disneyland smells like Candy whenever I go there. What do you think?

• Picturing the Magic

Re: Banning Trans-Fat at Disney Parks?

If they make the food healthier they better make it cheaper too (to compensate for the change in taste)

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

Blog Entries

I wonder if Disney saw the movie "Super Size Me" and decided to do this to avoid getting sued.

Will they also down size the portions while increasing their price?

I think portions are huge at table service places in general. It'd be nice if more places offered half portions.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

Blog Entries

Offering half-portions would be a good idea, as well as keeping the portions they have available, that way there is something for everyone.

As for downsizing their prices, I doubt it. Disney makes a lot of money from the food they sell too, so they would lose revenue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'm happy that they're ridding themselves of trans-fats. Very admirable.

Blog Entries

The next step for them should be to replace Candy and Ice Cream with Nonfat Frozen Yogurt and Fruit Sorbet with no added sugar, as well as get rid of soda.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    The next step for them should be to replace Candy and Ice Cream with Nonfat Frozen Yogurt and Fruit Sorbet with no added sugar, as well as get rid of soda.
    Hey hey hey!

Just because they're getting rid of trans-fats doesn't mean they should rid themselves of all yummy sugary substances. Everyone's going to get quite confused and angry if they come to Disneyland and can't have ice cream, cotton candy or churros.

They should find healthy ways to altering what makes up the foods in Disneyland, but that doesn't mean they should get rid of foods altogether.

• Banned User

Anything that can reduce health problems in Park guests and not damage the flavor or quality of prepared foods would be welcome, of course, provided it doesn't negatively affect the cost of food production or consumption. Reduction of standard portion sizes would also be a good idea, but Guests should also be provided with the option to choose larger sizes if desired. Also, the more healthy food options available to Guests there are, the better. But it would be foolish for Disneyland to deny Guests foods that are popular and well-liked, even if they are unhealthy.

This report is confirmed. I attended a lecture by Marty Sklar this past week in Chicago. He talked about how Disney is starting an initiative to make their food choices at the parks healthier to help parents help their kids eat better. This plan includes offering 2% milk and water beverages at counters in place of soda pop. You can still get soda and other "bad" foods, but you now have to specifically ask for them. This is quite a drastic yet much needed change of food service plans for the parks. I look forward to seeing its long term impact. Disney is really using their PC clout for something good and it's welcome. Now, if they can only revert their PC changes to Pirates....

I've also seen more Disney characters showing up on produce at our local markets. I just got a bag of black seedless grapes and was delighted to find Mickey and his pals on the front of it with the label, Disney Gardens. They come from a separate farm, but it's still nice to know Disney is branding on healthy food.
    Last edited by DizneeProfitEar; 10-22-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    "You’re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway."
    - Walt Disney

• NvrGrowUp's Princess Sis!

A lot of these options have already been implemented at the park.. just think of the kids meal at Tomorrowland terrace - it comes with carrots, unless you specifically ask for fries...

A lot of what the news around here has been talking about is Disney no longer lending characters to sugary cereals and food that is found at the grocery stores...

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

Quote Originally Posted by SplashMoun10 View Post
    If they make the food healthier they better make it cheaper too (to compensate for the change in taste)

Yea, and this quote right there makes me realize how imperative it is that Disney implements this asap.

Just because food is healthier doesn't mean it's going to 'taste bad', which is what I assume ur implying. Personally I don't find a greasy burger covered and dripping in fat all that delicious anyways. Flavor isn't created by Transfat, it's all in the recipe.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    I wonder if Disney saw the movie "Super Size Me" and decided to do this to avoid getting sued.
    Probably not. Because if they did, then the decision would have been made around the time that documentary was released. Plus Morgans study was not completely accurate. In the film, Morgan ate more than the average sized portions McDonalds gave. His goal was to see if he could survive 30 Days on Big Mac meals. BUT at the same time he ordered more than big mac meals (milkshakes, salads, etc.) and always crammed his food down his mouth while eating. Of course he would get sick from that. Also, at different times during the film, Morgan said he was eating even though he was not hungry .

So I doubt this film had any impact on Disney's decision.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

why is it gonna take till 2008?!?!!?!?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Comin' at ya!

there gonna still have candy right! RIGHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast