Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Its a dumb place, a place that was man-made..."

I don't usually have anyone question me. Everybody I meet may not have the same degree of obsession that I do most people wish they could go as often as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I've "converted" so many that don't get it. Perhaps hundreds. I'm not kidding.
    Maybe I should go to work for Scientology. I could probably make a killing. I'm that good.
    If you could convince me to give money to a religion founded by a sci-fi writer that believes that there are evil thetons (sp?) invading your body and a galactic overlord out there waiting to invade earth I would have to agree that you were good. Maybe you should start with tupperware though. They are kind of a cult but they break you in easy with the promise of quality plastic storageware.
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I always reply with using something the other person always does to have a good time or to relieve stress and comparing it to Disneyland.

My brother used to go to concerts all the time, a friend from work goes out dancing with her friends every weekend, some people go to the movies all the time, some people go shopping.

Everybody has different ways to escape - my way is Disneyland.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    I was asked this yesterday, and I also got a "you're a weirdo look," from her while asking this.

I replied:

"You don't ask me about DL and I won't question you on why you like men who dress up in womens clothes. Okay?"
    Such a great response.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• The pride is back.

"Here you leave the world of today, and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Kind of says it all, dontcha think?

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Everybody has different ways to escape - my way is Disneyland.
    My thought exactly. It sure is a nice break from AP classes. If it weren't for DL, what would I have to look forward to on the weekend?

It has become my hobby of sorts and makes me who I am. Just about everyone at school who knows me, knows I'm that guy who is more or less obsessed with the place. Heck, I just came home from school and I'm wearing a hat with the classic mouse ears design on the front.

I could have picked a different hobby, but I picked Disneyland.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Quote Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
    If you could convince me to give money to a religion founded by a sci-fi writer that believes that there are evil thetons (sp?) invading your body and a galactic overlord out there waiting to invade earth I would have to agree that you were good. Maybe you should start with tupperware though. They are kind of a cult but they break you in easy with the promise of quality plastic storageware.
    I don't really know if I could pull off the former (Honestly...who would buy into any of that! ). But I'm sure the latter would be a cakewalk. I mean...who wouldn't fall for the promise of quality plastic storageware?

If you are interested in just one example of how I sometimes convert the hardest of cases...see this post of mine from earlier this year on another Disney site:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...08&postcount=7

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI
    Walt Disney was considered to be the greatest artist of the 20th Century (I believe that is referenced from Time magazine).
    Not only by Time magazine, but by many other renowned artists themselves. Here's just a couple:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uplo...istsonwalt.wmv

• Disney Gram

I'm lucky I guess...even if my friends do not quite understand my obsession...they humor me!!
    Sharon
    Next Trip - Nov. 13-19 2011

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssturgeo View Post
    I'm lucky I guess...even if my friends do not quite understand my obsession...they humor me!!
    Same here. Actually, they admire my passion for it. Its something Ive loved since I was a kid.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think growing up in Socal, most of my friends share or at least understand the obsession. It's the friends who AREN'T from here that are a bit more "glass half empty".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

No one leaves Disneyland with me without being converted.

Disney management should be very grateful that there are evangelists such as ourselves out there.

I've always been amazed by the negative perceptions that many people have of Disneyland

I always challenge these perceptions, though, and require the people around me to think more critically about their own opinions. The Magic Kingdom is ingenious in so many ways; that fact is undeniable, and anyone who is paying attention will eventually recognize it. There are real problems that the Disneyland experience inheres, including obtrusive commercialization and overcrowding, but the good stuff does, indeed, outweigh the negatives.

I will say, though, that one of the reasons I am as critical as I am of Disneyland's operation, sometimes, is because I feel a sense of embarrassment if I've invited someone as a guest to visit The Magic Kingdom and it fails me in some way. The Disneyland experience, then, is a reflection on me, and I take that failure personally. My friends come from a variety of fields, and many of those friends can be very demanding. But, they will appreciate something if it's done well.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-04-2006 at 03:27 AM.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I usually reply along the lines of... "because its better than drugs."

Another response might be ... "for the same reason you like to watch tall black men run around in shorts." (during basketball season)
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Closed Account

The Pyramids are man-made. The Eiffel Tower is man-made. The Collisseum is man-made. The Golden Gate Bridge is man-made. The Parthenon is man-made.

All great art is, very obviously, man-made. Many of the things that make this world worth living in are man-made--architecture, art, technology, science, culture, society.

That hot-rod that your friend finds so cool that he spends countless time and $$ upgrading because he loves it so much is man made (whatever his passion is--my guess it was man-made).

If this is your friend's argument for why he finds Disneyland silly, then he needs to think about it a little more.

• Minion

My brother was that way, but he had never experienced Disneyland like we do it. And he was always "Why do you go so often?" and "You only need 2 days max!" We took him last summer, and slowed him down. Then he went last spring with us. Now, he is a pin collector and is looking at getting an AP (after his twins are born.)

For me, its just a relaxful, peaceful place.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    The Pyramids are man-made. The Eiffel Tower is man-made. The Collisseum is man-made. The Golden Gate Bridge is man-made. The Parthenon is man-made.

All great art is, very obviously, man-made. Many of the things that make this world worth living in are man-made--architecture, art, technology, science, culture, society.

That hot-rod that your friend finds so cool that he spends countless time and $$ upgrading because he loves it so much is man made (whatever his passion is--my guess it was man-made).

If this is your friend's argument for why he finds Disneyland silly, then he needs to think about it a little more.
    I think that the objections some people raise are that Disneyland looks too fake and is not believable. It's all cardboard and plastic held together with chewing gum.

This argument is one of the reasons that Disney needs to reinvest in the experience so that the illusion remains convincing for generations to come and so that guests are able to suspend their disbelief upon entering.

• Disney worshipper/geek

I would actually give the same answer. Plus, I tell people that Walt Disney was a wonderful person and this is the complete representation of what he wanted (so to speak). It is one of the only places that maintains a love of beauty and purity instead of cynicism and sarcasm.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast