Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: "Its a dumb place, a place that was man-made..."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    My brother was that way, but he had never experienced Disneyland like we do it. And he was always "Why do you go so often?" and "You only need 2 days max!" We took him last summer, and slowed him down. Then he went last spring with us. Now, he is a pin collector and is looking at getting an AP (after his twins are born.)

For me, its just a relaxful, peaceful place.
    Yeah....get this: My grandfather in law said "Oh yeah...Disneyland. I went there once... (In the 1950's)...and I've never felt the need to go back there. Once you've been there, you've pretty much seen it all."

This coming from a man who spends every day in his trailer staring at the wall.

• Loves Fajita!

Just love what you love, and dont worry about justifying your love for the park. Why would someone request justification anyway? I dont "get" many obsessions or hobbies, such as sports - but what do I care what others are into - its certainly not up to me to determine what someone "should" be fond of - keeps us individual ~ I am glad not everyone truly appreciates my love for Disneyland - I am learning to like the chuckles and blank stares!

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    Well I am completely obsessed to the max with Disneyland. I have been going there several times a year with my family since I was a baby. It also became even more special to me, because my dad loved it, too. He died suddenly and unexpectedly the day before my 16th Birtdhay almost 3 years ago. This brought Disneyland even more closer to me. Every time I go there, I can feel my dad. He loved it just as much as I did. We used to talk all night about all the things that we loved to do there when I was a kid. It is just a special place where all your troubles can go away. I can't get enough of it. I have so much music and posters and stuff all around my room. Most of my friends love it too (though not nearly as much as I do :0), but some of them think I'm weird cuz I am so obsessed. But not in a bad way...I honestly can't explain why I love it so much. It is just such a magical place where you can experience things you can't experience anywhere in the world. It is my favorite place. I LOVE IT! People just don't understand that it has a special meaning to people like us. That's all I have to say
    I honestly think thats why so many of us love it....its because of the strong memories we forged while growing up! I think some of us love it waaaaay more than others because of this, but thats O.K. we will always have a wonderful place to go to re-live fond memories and to create new ones. DISNEYLAND is OUR land!!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I was asked yesterday by a friend and he said to me... "Shaun, Why the heck to do you love disneyland so much. Its a dumb place, a place that was man-made!?"
    I dont think I have had to defend myself...but I find your friends response that its a place that is man made is very odd...what is that supposed to imply?? What is wrong with man made??? it almost makes me laugh....what a silly man your friend is...since when is man made a defense against something being good??? The fact that disneyland is man made is what makes it amazing!!! It is so beautiful and original and unique...how could it be man made??? I do not know...maybe Disney sold his soul haha...and what makes your friends subjective opinion so important anyway? Id ask him since when did he become the authority on what is dumb or not...either way...unless THAT man can make something soo good...Id tell him to shush his tush...o well at least that is one less person to wait after in line...

What's his opinion of the Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Pirates of the Caribbean films? Does he even read books?

I think that many people also approach Disneyland as an amusement park that is supposed to contain cheap thrills. So, when the requisite iron is not present, these people are unable to appreciate the appeal to the mind and the heart that Disneyland makes.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Does he like Magic Mountain? Knotts Berry Farm? He realizes those places are man made too, right?
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by belleariel412 View Post
    I dont think I have had to defend myself...but I find your friends response that its a place that is man made is very odd...what is that supposed to imply?? What is wrong with man made??? it almost makes me laugh....what a silly man your friend is...since when is man made a defense against something being good??? The fact that disneyland is man made is what makes it amazing!!! It is so beautiful and original and unique...how could it be man made??? I do not know...maybe Disney sold his soul haha...and what makes your friends subjective opinion so important anyway? Id ask him since when did he become the authority on what is dumb or not...either way...unless THAT man can make something soo good...Id tell him to shush his tush...o well at least that is one less person to wait after in line...
    By man-made. My friend ment. "Why do i like some that was made by somebody" (Ie: invented, created, etc)

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    By man-made. My friend ment. "Why do i like some that was made by somebody" (Ie: invented, created, etc)
    You said he likes skateboarding? Skate parks, the boards, everything...was created by someone.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Banned User

^^ Ive mentioned that. He still restated the question, annoyingly.

He probably has a point with regard to D.C.A.

• Comin' at ya!

Tell him, "You're dumb and man-made!"

But I agree with Coheteboy, What isn't man-made these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    To those that understand it, no explananation is necessary. To those that don't, no amount of explanation will suffice.

It's as simple as that.
    Having educated/enlightened/converted so many...and having failed to do so, so few times...I'd have to strongly disagree with that.

To say that folks can't change their mind, position, or impression of something, seems a bit defeatist to me.

I prefer to think that most people's opinions are not set in stone. And that in most cases of resistance to Disneyland, the person is either ignorant of what the place is all about, or is simply looking for some other reason to enjoy it because subconsciously...they really want to!

I've found that those that are resistant to or find Disneyland objectionable, have usually had it presented to them in the wrong way. Perhaps their first impression was by watching some kiddie TV show? Or they went there on the most crowded day of the year tagging along with a family of screaming brats? Or perhaps they have some sort of bad pre-conceived notion having never even been there before.

The challenge to overcoming resistance is often approaching the place from a different angle than that of the normal tourist, visitor, or "pre-sold" individual. Staging things a bit so that you lead them into making their own discoveries about the place, can be productive too. Especially if the resistant individual has a bit of a large ego to deal with.

Of course, if you don't care about the individual and what they might think...why bother? But if you do care about what they think and truly believe that they would enjoy the place if given the proper opportunity and experience...then why not give it the old college try?

Personally...converting a skeptic of Disneyland is bliss for me. I practically drool at the prospect of the challenge. And the experience of seeing them change their opinion of the place, is especially rewarding.

• Minion

You either get it or you don't. I don't even bother.

• I'm not really here

It almost seems like his repeated "man-made" arguement is a cover for something else. Maybe he thinks it's for "little kids only" or something. But the whole man made arguement is idiotic and I think he knows that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It almost seems like his repeated "man-made" arguement is a cover for something else. Maybe he thinks it's for "little kids only" or something. But the whole man made arguement is idiotic and I think he knows that.
    It just sounds like he wants to be a pain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast