Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Test Track at DLR

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    If there were significant differences in the attractions available between the parks I would be much more likely to spend the extra money to go and visit them. And that equates to hotel, park addmission, dining, souvenier revenue increases for Disney. I don't understand their fixation with short term. They really should be looking to increase their bottom line over the long term. Yeah, short term stuff pays off now, but ends up hurting you in the long run. If you take some hits now, the payout could be enormous in the long term.
    That man that they always quote... I don't know, I think his name was, what, Walt? ...They should take a cue from him.

Walt wasn't afraid of risk. He took the hits because he knew they'd eventually pay off.

Anybody remember all the stories of how Disneyland would be doomed? "Black Sunday," anybody?

Maybe the suits in TDA and Orlando should take a gander at the The First 50 Magical Years film and take notes on how Walt's big gambles paid off. Short-term, short-sighted penny pinching and bottom line padding isn't healthy for Disney business-wise or creatively.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

if you want test track... get in a wheelchair.. and tell a micechatter who went to WDW to duplicate Test track... lol

same experinece... just a little slower.

really.. you had Rocket Rods... that "was" your test track...

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

Great ride!

But it simply takes up way too much room for the outside portion of the attraction
    There is limited space at Disneyland Resort --unlike in Orlando-

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

There are times when cloning is definitely required but I don't think they should be exact replicas. How great would it be if every PIrates of the caribbean or Haunted Mansion ride was completely different... and not just on exterior, and I'm not talking about one or two scenes here and there, but COMPLETELY different.

Different pirates doing different things, ghosts that pop up in different places, how fun would it be to travel the "world" (ca, fla, paris, tokyo, hong kong) to see the variations? It'd be a blast. And I'm sure the Imagineers would go nuts because they'd be able to use good ideas that would've gotten cut.

On that note, I love how every Space Mountain and Big Thunder is pretty different. It definitely makes it fun to ride something old but completely new at the same time.

Tokyo just recently opened their Tower of Terror... and I look forward to seeing how different it is without the twilight zone theme. THAT'S the kind of cloning that I love. Taking an existing idea and doing something different with it. Also with Indiana Jones Adventure too; adding the crystal skull concept instead of a simple duplicate CA ride.

Even their Jumpin' Jellyfish was BETTER THAN DCA'S!!!! Frick.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

There are some incredibly dumb people in the Disney organization making decisions. Disney analysts, too, can be dumb. And, the evidence of both facts is in this strategy of duplicating attractions around the world. This act has the effect of slowing earnings growth, and the cost savings are just not there.

The major costs are in research and development into ride systems and show systems (which do not necessarily need to be developed in-house, incidentally). Everything else is relatively inexpensive stage dressing, ultimately, so creating different attractions that use the same ride systems and show systems should be a no-brainer.

Disney used to understand this principle. Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World share the same ride system, but they're completely different experiences. The Haunted Mansion and Adventures thru Inner Space both used the Omnimover technology, and they, too, shared little else in common. The story and show are all that matter, and Disney needs to invest in real creativity in these areas.

Disney is allowing its businesses to not only cannibalize each other; the Disney customers are not going to feel very good about spending thousands of dollars to go on vacations and stay in Disney hotels if each of the international travel destinations looks like it's just part of a chain, like McDonald's or Starbucks.

People don't want to vacation at a McDonald's or a Starbucks.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    There are some incredibly dumb people in the Disney organization making decisions. Disney analysts, too, can be dumb. And, the evidence of both facts is in this strategy of duplicating attractions around the world. This act has the effect of slowing earnings growth, and the cost savings are just not there.

The major costs are in research and development into ride systems and show systems (which do not necessarily need to be developed in-house, incidentally). Everything else is relatively inexpensive stage dressing, ultimately, so creating different attractions that use the same ride systems and show systems should be a no-brainer.

Disney used to understand this principle. Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World share the same ride system, but they're completely different experiences. The Haunted Mansion and Adventures thru Inner Space both used the Omnimover technology, and they, too, shared little else in common. The story and show are all that matter, and Disney needs to invest in real creativity in these areas.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PragmaticIdealist again.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I grew up with DL, currently live in the SF Bay Area, and only made it out to WDW/EPCOT recently (the Mars trip had just opened). I thought Test Track was fun, and was quite impressed by the ride vehicle [though not necessarily its reliability...]. I thought the conceit of the test vehicle was a bit thin to carry such a major ride, but it was an amusing conceit.

When I rode it, however, I couldn't help trying to imagine how it could be fit into the DL I knew. Specifically (and I know how it dates me), I figured it could be a worthy addition to Tomorrowland -- a world in motion.

I figured that the backstory would be that automobile designers of the future would want to have self-driving systems for long trips or hazardous traffic conditions. Someone's got to develop and test such things, and here we are riding in an ancient prototype. We do a couple of low speed simple maneuvers indoors and...it looks like it's time to take it out for a spin. Heading out past the motorboats and submarines, we head out for the northeast corner of the park.

Suddenly, the autopilot ignores the programmed path and makes a sprint for the berm. Passing unexpectedly outside of Disneyland proper, it arcs over the Harbor Blvd S offramp of S I-5 and does a high-speed high-bank loop suspended along the inside of the actual freeway cloverleaf before diving into a tunnel and heading back into the park.

Heading back to the end of the ride, there could be commentary about a horrible distopian vision of the future with thousands and thousands of self-directed automobiles -- "for a second there, I thought I actually saw it.'

As an added bonus, this would provide great excitement for people already headed to the park as a ride vehicle sped overhead.

It wouldn't be the same as Test Track, but might be a worthy addition to the park.

Test Track is a mediochre ride.. it is totally lame and slow and boring.... until the fast part which lasts about two seconds. A MUCH BETTER version of this ride is "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" at Tokyo DisneySea. THAT is a full-on E attraction with incredible theming, awesome sights and a thrill to boot!

Blog Entries

By the way, I hate the 5th dimension room. It's cheesy and completely useless.
    To each his own I guess. The 5th dimension room is actually my favorite part of the ride portion. I guess that's because I dislike the falling part so much.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234